service manuals are to high

wing98

i found a couple of used service manuals for 2014 silverados on ebay they want over $500.00 for them so i made an offer of $300.00 for them witch i knew he would turn down. you can buy the same manuals for $350.00 form helminc.com i even sent a note to that effect . i guess he knows there is a sucker out there somewhere

Edited by wing98

Lol service manuals? Like the ones that come for free?

Jk. Thought you meant owners manual. Those things are expensive. You can probably Google a lot of it

Edited by Gassamax

Lol service manuals? Like the ones that come for free?

No...you're thinking of the owner's manuals

Service manuals are completely different than owner's manuals. Service manuals usually have several books in the set (5 in the set OP is looking for) and each are about 3" thick (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Chevy-Silverado-GMC-Sierra-Sierra-Denali-1500-Series-Service-Manual-Set-NEW-/352113500115?hash=item51fb999fd3:g:BR0AAOSwezVW0SBz&vxp=mtr)

Edited by hammerhead611
  • Like 1

No...you're thinking of the owner's manuals

Service manuals are completely different than owner's manuals. Service manuals usually have several books in the set (5 in the set OP is looking for) and each are about 3" thick (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Chevy-Silverado-GMC-Sierra-Sierra-Denali-1500-Series-Service-Manual-Set-NEW-/352113500115?hash=item51fb999fd3:g:BR0AAOSwezVW0SBz&vxp=mtr)

Yeah just edited my post. Totally misunderstood

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah the clowns on eBay must think theirs are gold plated.

That being said, the authentic Chevy service manuals are worth every penny. After swapping grilles, removing the bumper cover, realigning headlights, swapping differential fluids, and doing a transmission plan drop, my set has paid for itself. 5 times over. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

went to the link provided; and surprise surprise, its Carboagez;  he marks up 50-100% OVER the retail price at Helm. for example he charges $322 (that includes shipping) for the service manual set for my Aveo; I got a brand new manual set from Helm for $244 including shipping! for my Mom's new (to her) Dodge Journey, Carboagez charges $220 a pop (that's with shipping included) for the repair CD; i got the Repair CD from CHRYSLER THEMSELVES (through their TechAuthority service) for only $163.46! (and that is WITH taxes and shipping included!) because of greedy jerks like Carboagez, its sometimes MUCH cheaper to go through the official channels to get service manuals!

Geeze Louise ... back in '07 when the Silverado was new, I bought a set of Helm manuals for $125 shipped ... and I thought that was outrageous! Holy inflation ... :noway:

I have been turning wrenches for 20 years. I have worked on just about everything - tractors, cars, dump trucks, motorcycles, planes, small engines, etc. The only thing on a vehicle that I don't do, is rebuild automatic transmissions. I have never had the need for anything other than Google, and a $30 Chilton repair manual.

I ask this out of pure curiosity: 

What are you guys doing to your rigs?

What do you need those service manuals for? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOP-MANUAL-SERVICE-REPAIR-CHILTON-BOOK-SILVERADO-SIERRA-TAHOE-YUKON-2016-2014/312015349299?fits=Year%3A2014|Model%3ASilverado+1500&hash=item48a5906633%3Ag%3AXMsAAOSwh8NbR6uE&_sacat=0&_nkw=2014+silverado+chilton&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

s-l500.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I've been turning wrenches a bit longer. Back in the day, that's all there was - manuals. No Youtube, no Google, no internet. I have an entire file cabinet full of manuals going back to the 1930's. Good to have on hand. There's lots of tips and tricks that have been lost to time. Valuable stuff that schools don't teach. What happens if the power goes out for an extended period, or some whack-job country decides to detonate a nuke 100 miles above? ALL computers will be junk. You'd better have taken some notes for these newer vehicles!

I rely pretty heavily on the net these days - it's just fast and easy. 11 years ago when I bought those manuals I was thinking of NOW, where I wouldn't be able to gain access to the info contained in them over the net without paying. Glad I bought them then, as I see they're DOUBLE and then some what I paid.

The way the manual is written however will make you pull your hair out. There's 4 separate books. Once you find what you're looking for, it tells you to reference another book, another chapter, another page. Gets aggravating pretty quick (then there's the flow charts, but that's another topic for another day ...), especially when you have paying jobs to tend to. Internet is 300x faster.  But, it's there in a pinch.

Come hell or high water, that POS Silverado is going to last me 30 years. Might take a case of duct tape, Bondo, wood, and sheetmetal and a case of rivets ... and 1, 000 miles of wire, but it WILL happen. The manuals will help.

I've found Chiltons and Haynes to be more infuriating than helpful. They give just enough info for the basics, but once you need really technical info, they fall flat on their faces. Haven't used them in a long, long time.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Yeah the FSMs (Factory Service manuals) are detailed beyond belief. Sometimes you gotta go on a wild goose chase, but you WILL find EXACTLY what you're looking for. Chilton and Hayes do not have anywhere near the level of detail or precision that the FSMs do. 

• Like 2

Wouldn't waste my money on Chilton or Hayes.

FSM are a pain to use some times but the info is the best.

My Mercury outboard factory service manual is the same way but has paid for itself many times.

:)

• Like 3