How many miles? Engine work if any?

mookdoc6

2017 LTZ Z71 5.3L bought it with 34k on it drove it to 36k and had to have engine fully replaced because of extensive damage to cylinder 4. Hey new engine is running like a champ with nearly 2k miles on it!

Edited by KungfuWerewolf

2015 All Terrain 6.2

Developed the dreaded tapping sound on left side of engine.  Push rod on #7 cylinder was bent and valve lifter stuck open.  All valve lifters on left side replaced as well as #7 push rod.  25701 miles on truck and 12.5K miles later no issues.  However it did convince me to purchase an extended warranty from James E Black Cadillac.  Had been changing the oil and filter every 7000-7500 miles, after engine work went to 6K max between oil changes.

I’m at ~135k on my 2014. Only major thing I’ve had done was had to have the AC condenser replaced at 58k and 130k. No engine work at all.

2016 SLT 5.3L @ 85K No engine work never been opened etc.  AC compressor failed while back......just wipers,tires,brakes windshields etc.  Usually go 7-12K on oil obviously not worried about me's pushrods.....they are actually very stout v8's get you one! 

• 1 month later...

75K on my 2014 5.3 V8 and no issues with the engine. Small stuff like AC condensor around 60K but the big kicker was my lovely transmission went out at 73K miles 4 months out of the 5 year 100K warranty. Otherwise trucks been good

On 5/28/2019 at 4:40 PM, BadBowtie14 said:

I have a 2014 5.3 with a 110k on it.  So far nothing for motor and transmission other than regular maintenance.

My Torque Converter went at 120k miles, required a complete rebuild of the trans.

Have you gotten your trans flushed yet? TC is a known issue with the 2014 and 2015 models. 

172k and still going strong on my 2015 5.3.  I change air filters every 40-50k, 7-9k oil changes, did plugs at about 110k.  I also fogged the motor with Sea foam at about 100k.  I also force the system to stay in v8 mode by keeping the trans in 5th gear.

Hoping to hit 250k with this one.  Shouldn't be an issue. 

Replaced entire A/C System at 130k

Rebuilt Transmission at 170k

Other than that just brakes and other preventative maintenance like fluids for transfer case, differentials, greasing here and there. 

This truck has been cared for, but it's also been put to work hard almost daily.  I'm very impressed with the overall quality.  People seldom believe it has the miles it does, especially after seeing interior.  I keep it clean but nothing fading, ripped, broken, ect.  Cloth interior.

Edited by J-man67
Adding

2014 GMC Sierra K1500 5.3 V8 - Purchased new August 2014.  Build date in June, 2014.  Only work so far:

At 30,000 miles or so CEL on three separate times over a two week period - always code P050D - no other code.

Dealer replaced all 8 fuel injectors.  All covered under my GMPP extended warranty but the $200.00 deductible.

Truck is getting better mileage around town and on highway.  By my calculations at least 2 more mpg.  Engine also sounds quieter.

Use Mobil1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Dexos1 Certified oil.

image.thumb.png.da445cf065556e48be2eb15d6362667b.png

Edited by 14GMCZ71

3 hours ago, Ozer said:

My Torque Converter went at 120k miles, required a complete rebuild of the trans.

Have you gotten your trans flushed yet? TC is a known issue with the 2014 and 2015 models. 

Got my trans flushed at 100k.

2014 Double Cab 1500 LT, Z60 5.3, 6L80E

Needed regular oil changes, air filter, cabin filter, front brake pads and rotors and shocks at 100k. AC kept shitting the bed. Otherwise a good truck. Headlight bulbs around 90k.

2017 Crew Cab 1500 LT, Z85, 5.3, 6L80E

Oil changes, air filter at 50k, diff change at 50k, at 67k now and not a single major problem. AC is different from my 2014 and seems much better. I do have a catch can on, but saw no issues on my 2014 related to oil and carbon buildup.

Seems like a good truck, these K2s. I don't have much bad to say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I have a 2014 1500 5.3 double cab LT and been pulling a trailer with it for atleast 60k miles and I’m at 145k miles right now 

New radiator $600

New batteries 

New A/C $650

New transmission at 110k miles was messing up 70k $4k

Trucks lowered  4” front / 6” in back $1,800

Edited by Asphalthustler

On 9/11/2017 at 11:00 AM, mookdoc6 said:

How many miles now on your Ecotec's 4.3 5.3 6.2? Please state any engine work/repairs done and estimated miles?

40,000 New plugs is all for me! Only because I am GDI ****** is why

Are these engines more reliable than FERD'S you tell me.............

122,500 miles with my 'normal' maintenance only. I did replace the VLOM supply screen and pressure switch at 75 K because I wanted to. Just me being curious. Both were perfect upon inspection. Kept the switch as a future spare. Standard 100 K tune up. Plugs and wires. Cleaned the MAF. None of it needed doing. Lowered the thermostat to 170 F what, two years ago? Want to, not need to. Again me being me. Replaced the plastic starter shield last fall when it warped ticking on the flywheel ring gear. Nuisance noise. Is that more reliable than a FERD? 

26 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

122,500 miles with my 'normal' maintenance only. I did replace the VLOM supply screen and pressure switch at 75 K because I wanted to. Just me being curious. Both were perfect upon inspection. Kept the switch as a future spare. Standard 100 K tune up. Plugs and wires. Cleaned the MAF. None of it needed doing. Lowered the thermostat to 170 F what, two years ago? Want to, not need to. Again me being me. Replaced the plastic starter shield last fall when it warped ticking on the flywheel ring gear. Nuisance noise. Is that more reliable than a FERD? 

Most likely it's been more reliable than a FERD.  From now until 200k is where the GM powertrain and FERD show their true colors.  FERDS are nice to look at but not a contractor grade truck for 1500's imo