Travel with kids and dogs, looking for thoughts

So let me lat out that I currently have zero children. That said, the misses and I plan to start the process for kids in the near future. Goal of two. I'm way ahead of the game here, but I'm looking for feedback before I make my next purchase.

I'm looking at buying a diamondback tonneau cover for the back, but I've started thinking that when I have kids and we start taking road trips if will be hard with two kids and two dogs (a lab and some lap dog thing). I don't think I'll be able to get the lab and tiny dog in the cab with the kids, but maybe it's no problem.

Figured I'd solicit some feedback from anyone who is in a similar space. I could go with a truck cap and throw the pups in the back, but honestly I dislike the look.

Big purchase so want to make sure I get some feedback before pulling the trigger.

• Like 1

As someone who hauls two small kids (1 year old and 2 1/2) across the state line to grandmas house several times a year:

Kids require a lot of crap, my bed is usually more than half full of supplies and the cab is full of all the toys, snacks, junk for the ride. My wife usually crawls to the middle of the back seat to help them out and then crawls back to the front when they are happy/sleeping.

There is no way I would want to add a dog into the mess let alone two. I'm sure if your dog respects the baby, it may work but it can't make the 6 hours drive any more enjoyable. I would recommend that if you must travel with 2 children and 2 dogs, a truck cap is the way to go, then keeps the dogs in the back. After your youngest is 2-3, I think it gets easier, and they would probably enjoy riding with the dog. But with an infant- I would not want to try it.

But I agree with you that truck caps look terrible and are annoying the rest of the time. You still have plenty of time to think about it.

Edited by aseibel

The extended cabs and crew cabs have soared in popularity since the 70's making pickups a more viable family transporter. You will have more room than any sedan with your crew cab with a tonneau cover. You have lots of time to join millions of others with trading in for a mini-van! I strongly believe that GM would have a bonanza in sales if they produced a family affordable Suburban.

It's not hard just plan

camping trip this past Labor Day

57400af5b9fa9d4be4d3a999442244db.jpg

18664fefe51bdd050ee2cca2c574a686.jpg

Hard to see the dog (black lab). He gets the 40 side of the crew cab.

ce76fc194ede6086da7c8abf9b059c64.jpg

Next truck will be a crewcab std bed for the extra length

Ryan B.

Edited by RyanbabZ71
  • Like 1

I travel with one kid and two dogs (beagle and small mean lap dog).

First thing, start long trips with your kids as soon as they are born...they get used to it. I've taken my daughter cross country (as in PA to Wyoming) and never once got an "are we there yet?". But we started her out by driving back and forth to my parents (five hours) a couple times a month. Now she's 8yo and watches movies, listens to music, or just watches outside.

The dogs typically curl up on the back seat beside her and sleep the whole way...yes, five hours or more.

I have a bak F1 on the back, and prior to that had a job box in the bed for storage. It's all about how you pack...we did a week long trip in August, three days in Tennessee for the eclipse and the rest at the beach. Had lots of room even with all the beach stuff. The next truck will have a cab-height cap for more room and versatility.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I hate people that I see driving with the dogs in the bed. I feel so bad for those dog in the event of a wreck or even sudden stop or turn.

Do you buckle your dog in if he's in the cab? whats the difference if you get in an accident and he smashes into the dashboard/ windshield or the front side of the box? Think if it this way- Your 80 lb Labrador is sleeping behind you when you crash and he flies into the back of your head, severely hurting your neck. Technically anything that is not secured is a projectile in a crash, so your pets should not be loose in the passenger area anyway. But many of us drive around with cargo in the back seat that is not secured. The only "safe" way to transport pets is in a closed cage that is secured down.

Either way you are risking your dog's life having it in the vehicle, yet many people still do it daily. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

Do you buckle your dog in if he's in the cab? whats the difference if you get in an accident and he smashes into the dashboard/ windshield or the front side of the box? Think if it this way- Your 80 lb Labrador is sleeping behind you when you crash and he flies into the back of your head, severely hurting your neck. Technically anything that is not secured is a projectile in a crash, so your pets should not be loose in the passenger area anyway. But many of us drive around with cargo in the back seat that is not secured. The only "safe" way to transport pets is in a closed cage that is secured down.

Either way you are risking your dog's life having it in the vehicle, yet many people still do it daily. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

Well for one thing in the event of a sudden stop or turn I don't have to worry about the dog being thrown out of the bed. But yes, actually, she does get buckled in when she rides with me.

Pawaboo Dog Safety Vest Harness, Pet Dog Adjustable Car Safety Mesh Harness Travel Strap Vest with Car Seat Belt Lead Clip, Suitable for 11 lb-33 lb Dogs, BLACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KNULPO6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-7vUzbMWGEMMH

• Like 2

we went from Tampa FL to Columbia, SC to escape the hurricane. I have a bestop foldable tonneau that takes about 5 minutes to totally remove or install. I had my wife and I in the front, my 1 and 4 year old in their car seats in the back and my poor sister in the middle. The floor of the cab under the car seats was loaded since the boys feet don't touch and the underseat storage was packed, along with the truckbed loaded to the hilt in a 30 minute frantic panic .Had a dog crate for our small dog on the floor as well. I was impressed on how much crap we got in there and how comfortable everyone was! If there was time to plan, I think you could really get a lot of stuff in there orderly, much like Ryan did above.

I hate people that I see driving with the dogs in the bed. I feel so bad for those dog in the event of a wreck or even sudden stop or turn.

Completely agree, a friend lost his dog when it jumped from the bed of his truck and another friend ran over it, nothing he could do even at slow speeds.

Well for one thing in the event of a sudden stop or turn I don't have to worry about the dog being thrown out of the bed. But yes, actually, she does get buckled in when she rides with me.

Pawaboo Dog Safety Vest Harness, Pet Dog Adjustable Car Safety Mesh Harness Travel Strap Vest with Car Seat Belt Lead Clip, Suitable for 11 lb-33 lb Dogs, BLACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KNULPO6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-7vUzbMWGEMMH

Good comeback, coming straight from a dog owner myself!

So let me lat out that I currently have zero children. That said, the misses and I plan to start the process for kids in the near future. Goal of two. I'm way ahead of the game here, but I'm looking for feedback before I make my next purchase.

I'm looking at buying a diamondback tonneau cover for the back, but I've started thinking that when I have kids and we start taking road trips if will be hard with two kids and two dogs (a lab and some lap dog thing). I don't think I'll be able to get the lab and tiny dog in the cab with the kids, but maybe it's no problem.

Figured I'd solicit some feedback from anyone who is in a similar space. I could go with a truck cap and throw the pups in the back, but honestly I dislike the look.

Big purchase so want to make sure I get some feedback before pulling the trigger.

Buy a Tahoe or a Suburban. We have a Tahoe to haul our 4 huskies around, with a fair amount of room left.