Travel with kids and dogs, looking for thoughts

lol......I mentioned this earlier, but apparently got dismissed: You can rock the old man truck with the dog or gear in the back, and sport the cool guy truck every other time.

https://www.bestop.com/supertop-for-truck/

I saw that. The issue I've got is that I was wanting to go with one or the other. I can't mount that bestop on top of the diamondback so I'm stuck with two options totaling over $2,000. I could go with a nice ARE cap for that cost and not have two things to swap on/off. Still and option, just unsure at the moment. Wish those bestop tops were cheaper.

I looked at the Bestop at one time. I emailed Real Truck and got a quote for under $700.

I saw that. The issue I've got is that I was wanting to go with one or the other. I can't mount that bestop on top of the diamondback so I'm stuck with two options totaling over $2,000. I could go with a nice ARE cap for that cost and not have two things to swap on/off. Still and option, just unsure at the moment. Wish those bestop tops were cheaper.

I have a golden retriever and a 15 year old son and 12 year old daughter. Both of my kids are tall (son about 6 foot, daughter 5'6") and goldie is about 80 pounds. She rides on the floor at the kids feet. We do swap her and the way she is facing mid trip to allow the other kid to be able to stretch out. Before my Silverado I had a Titan, that had a similarly sized back seat. In that truck we traveled from Ontario to PEI (about 1500KM) with zero issues. The kids do not complain about her being back there, and she never fusses.

Cab height carpeted topper is the way to go with kids and dogs. We have a 3 year old little girl. A 7 year old shepard mix and a baby boy on the way in mid october.

The last 12 hour trip to OK we kept the dog in the backseat on a big blanket with the 60/40 seat flipped up. Kid in her carseat on the 40 portion. With 2 kids, the dog will have to ride in the bed under the topper. She is ok with it as long as the road isnt too rough. Ive had toppers on my last 4 trucks. It snows here alot so it helps keep the bed clean to use it year round.

crew 6.5 with a cap. you can sleep in the bed that way too. you get over looking like an old guy. i rock black socks with sneakers, jorts, and horn rim glasses with the elastic strap around my head. my mid-rise truck cap honestly just completes the look.

LOL... "...at this point, what difference does it make?" I am an old guy.

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 1

The dogs do tend to take up a lot of room. We have a 14 yr old Shepard and elkhound mix (not in the pics) and the Shepard/collie pup. We are working on kids and not sure what I'll do then. I have the double cab 6 foot bed. Plenty of room for gear but not ppl. A Tahoe or burban wouldn't haul all of HER crap. 3dc2253f3b77e8d64b2af2e7d3fc6a00.jpg0ca06f5d1f9b4e24386e3a3a3530cc57.jpgc137e7f4bf5e6b0dde29d88e0e5770f8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm in a similar situation two 60lb dogs. One is a springer spaniel and the other a black lab. I'm probably getting a cap for the truck so the dogs can be in crates in the bed. I get tired of cleaning dog slobber off my windows. If we have kids in the near future, room in the truck will be at a premium.

Out of curiosity, how much payload does a Suburban have? I highly doubt I can afford one, but might be an option in the future if it could tow a camper with 600lbs hitch weight.

I'm in a similar situation two 60lb dogs. One is a springer spaniel and the other a black lab. I'm probably getting a cap for the truck so the dogs can be in crates in the bed. I get tired of cleaning dog slobber off my windows. If we have kids in the near future, room in the truck will be at a premium.

Out of curiosity, how much payload does a Suburban have? I highly doubt I can afford one, but might be an option in the future if it could tow a camper with 600lbs hitch weight.

It doesn't end you will clean up kids hand prints and slobber off windows. My daughter swears she doesn't touch the window even when I catch her

Ryan B.

Edited by RyanbabZ71

So let me lat out that I currently have zero children. That said, the misses and I plan to start the process for kids in the near future. Goal of two. I'm way ahead of the game here, but I'm looking for feedback before I make my next purchase.

I'm looking at buying a diamondback tonneau cover for the back, but I've started thinking that when I have kids and we start taking road trips if will be hard with two kids and two dogs (a lab and some lap dog thing). I don't think I'll be able to get the lab and tiny dog in the cab with the kids, but maybe it's no problem.

Figured I'd solicit some feedback from anyone who is in a similar space. I could go with a truck cap and throw the pups in the back, but honestly I dislike the look.

Big purchase so want to make sure I get some feedback before pulling the trigger.

You are fine. Perhaps a great solution to your problem is to buy a small travel trailer. You can load that up with the baby gear, clothes and food items. beach stuff can go either the trailer or in the bed of the truck. Then there will be plenty of room for people and dogs in the cab.

• 1 year later...
On 13/09/2017 at 10:17 AM, aseibel said:

Do you buckle your dog in if he's in the cab? whats the difference if you get in an accident and he smashes into the dashboard/ windshield or the front side of the box? Think if it this way- Your 80 lb Labrador is sleeping behind you when you crash and he flies into the back of your head, severely hurting your neck. Technically anything that is not secured is a projectile in a crash, so your pets should not be loose in the passenger area anyway. But many of us drive around with cargo in the back seat that is not secured. The only "safe" way to transport pets is in a closed cage that is secured down.

Either way you are risking your dog's life having it in the vehicle, yet many people still do it daily. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

I fully agree but you try telling my wife that the dog shouldn't ride on her lap and see how far you get with that.