2500HD 6.0 oil

There are currently 516 oils on the Dexos1 Gen2 approved list.

Something for everybody!

Link to approved list:  http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

By 'picking' the column names at the top, the list can be sorted by name, supplier viscosity etc.

Some are regional products that are not available in North America.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2018 at 4:10 PM, redwngr said:

There are currently 516 oils on the Dexos1 Gen2 approved list.

Something for everybody!

You bet!  And I have never used one of them since Dexos1 came on the scene.   Even my 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6L, GM recommended Mobil 1 5w30.  That was pre-dexos, but the 6094M standard was the basis for the original dexos1 gen 1.  All it has gotten is Pennzoil conventional 10w30 I buy on sale at my local farm and home store.  That car is still a daily driver for the wife.  No plans to get rid of it any time soon.  One of the best cars I have ever owned.  Runs and looks great for a 12 yr old car, and now that annual tags are only $50 and insurance cost barely is a blip on the budget radar, will keep the CTS for a lot longer.

The previous two Chevy pickups, and my current one, have used a Schaeffer oil.  Schaeffer never has been on the list. But they have been blending oils far longer than anyone else (since 1839) and they were the developer of lubricants of the M1 Abrams tank and the Apache Helicopter, so they might know a little how to do the job right.  They even make some lubricants for Mobil and Shell.  Been to the Schaeffer plant in St. Louis and seen it being done.   I get it for my pickup thru my commercial account.  so the cost is good and it is delivered for free.  Not sure if it will do as well for my pickup, but my factory reman Detroit Series 60 12.7L just turned over 804,000 miles on the reman using Schaeffer oil, and it still uses less oil than most owners claim of the 5.3L engines on the forum.  It uses about 1 qt in 11,000-12,000 miles.  And oil samples at over 800,000 miles look very comparable to when there was only 50,000 miles on it.  

The dexos1 thing is a good standard.  At least it helps keep folks alert and somewhat conscious of the fact they shouldn't use cooking oil in their engine.  But there are many good motor oils on the market from reputable blenders that provide more than ample protection for GM engines and they are not on the "approved" list for one reason or another.  One does not have to break the bank or over think the issue.  Nor do they need to suffer from an enlarged paranoia gland over the dexos1 thing.  Especially for the topic at hand.... the L96 6.0L.  That engine is the same as it was when dexos1 Gen1 was the standard.  So there is no need to worry about Gen2.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, sdeeter19555 said:

Pennsylvania crude oil was considered a sweet crude because of its wax content...that's also what made it sludge up. Ever seen an older car subjected to nothing but Quaker State?

My dad worked at a Pennzoil refinery for 30 years...a lot changed when they merged with Shell.

As for sniffing bottles of oil, that might explain some things about some of you...:)

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Sweet or sour crude is sulfur content. But yes Penn is high wax and yes back in the day you could scoop solidified Pennzoil out of the rocker boxes and lifter valleys with an ice cream scoop.  

Yeah, and since Pennz/QS is owned by Shell, and has been for some time, it is getting the same base stock as anything in the Shell line up.  

Archived