12 volt power sources needed

I want to hard wire my dash cam but I'm having trouble finding a 12 volt accessory source at the fuse panel.

That is, a 12 volt fuse that's on in the accessory or on position and 0 volts when the key is in the off position. It doesn't matter which side fuse panel it's on. Please help...

Maybe someone that already has their dash cam or even a radar detector hard wired in their truck.

• Like 1

I want to hard wire my dash cam but I'm having trouble finding a 12 volt accessory source at the fuse panel.

That is, a 12 volt fuse that's on in the accessory or on position and 0 volts when the key is in the off position. It doesn't matter which side fuse panel it's on. Please help...

Maybe someone that already has their dash cam or even a radar detector hard wired in their truck.

Funny you mention this. I just received my SG9665 dashcam today and will be installing it tomorrow. Should have a How-To for it. I won't be installing an Add-A-Fuse but rather removing an existing RAP Circuit (Same as the center console 12V) and recrimping the terminal with an extra wire to it. I am looking at the passenger side X51R Fuse Panel but recall seeing one in the driver side too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was planning on making the installation as simple as possible by using a fuse tap to and existing fuse circuit.

I think I did notice a couple of RAP breakers on the passenger side but I can't use the fuse taps I have on those circuits.

I have a couple of mini ATC fuse taps I wanted to use to hard wire my dash cam. Those two RAP breakers don't look like a traditional fuse (ATC, mini ATC).

I just hardwired my dash cam last week. In my truck there was no switched power in the passenger side only constant 12V. Drivers side has a dedicated stake for switched power (or RPO as chevy calls it) Just use a inline fuse with a standard female spade connector.

You will also find that mini add a fuse is useless as these trucks use a new standard in fuses called Micro2 (different from micro). I was unable to find a micro 2 add-a-circuit in any of the stores locally.

heres a picture showing the dedicated RPO power in the drivers side interior fuse box.(where the blue stak-on is) Alternatevly if you have to use a add-a-circuit that brown 7.5A fuse is also a switched source and is for the heated steering wheel that most trucks don't have but the fuse is always there.

f42962f6ad1cef377e854a9f6122ed8e.jpg

Edited by Crazyjoker77

I used the same terminal that Crazyjoker references when I hardwired my V1. Works perfectly. No issue finding a ground either as there is a bolt right next to the drivers side fuse panel.

X3 - did the same thing to wire my V1 as well. $10 for direct power. 2-3 minute install.

Next up will be a dash cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much load is that circuit capable of providing? I'm thinking of multiple widgets being placed on that circuit might create a problem...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The dash cam referenced in this thread operates at ~5volts and requires a step-down, so very minimal power draw even if combined with a radar detector. If you are using an Add-a-fuse you can draw whatever the stock wiring can handle and fuse it properly (18-20AWG?)

Edited by AaronArf

How much load is that circuit capable of providing? I'm thinking of multiple widgets being placed on that circuit might create a problem...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

50A! Guess I should clarify my first post its not really a dedicated stake for switched power just happens to be super convenient for it. What it actually is a way to switch your front 12v outlets from always on to RPO by just moving that 50A fuse over.(and now your left with a dedicated constant 12v stake).

Heres a picture showing it with the fuse moved over making the 12v receptacles in the dash now switched power.

post-155272-146652685792.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/18/2017 at 5:09 PM, Crazyjoker77 said:

50A! Guess I should clarify my first post its not really a dedicated stake for switched power just happens to be super convenient for it. What it actually is a way to switch your front 12v outlets from always on to RPO by just moving that 50A fuse over.(and now your left with a dedicated constant 12v stake).

Heres a picture showing it with the fuse moved over making the 12v receptacles in the dash now switched power.

post-155272-146652685792.jpg

Glad I found this thread! I just picked up my new Thinkware F800 Pro and a Cellink Neo battery for the Camera.

I'm not great at electrical wiring but can fumble my way though installs like this.

My truck is the 2018 1500 Crew Cab Redline edition, picked it up in April.

The instructions for the Hardwiring are in the attached picture, sorry about the chinese characters :)

image.png.a7eaae9364f7ce8c39ddfd6990480f88.png

They are saying it needs a fuse greater than 20A, obviously this one you found for easy connecting is 50A.  Do you think this will still work for the Cellink Neo Battery?

I know, you probably aren't familiar with the battery product but you seem to know a bit more about electrical than I do.

Should I maybe put a 20A fuse between the spade connector and the battery?