• 3 weeks later...

Lol I was going to say, I can't see the running boards causing that. I have a 2007 Duramax at work that does it, and my daily work truck 2014 1500 does it too and it has no running boards, both are extended cabs. I have also had all the trim removed searching with no luck. It sounds like there is a golf ball on a string inside the B pillar that swings back and fourth tapping the inside of the panel on rougher roads, both trucks. Good 'ol Chevy interiors, maybe I will just fill the B pillar with expanding foam :thumbs:

• Like 1

Lol I was going to say, I can't see the running boards causing that. I have a 2007 Duramax at work that does it, and my daily work truck 2014 1500 does it too and it has no running boards, both are extended cabs. I have also had all the trim removed searching with no luck. It sounds like there is a golf ball on a string inside the B pillar that swings back and fourth tapping the inside of the panel on rougher roads, both trucks. Good 'ol Chevy interiors, maybe I will just fill the B pillar with expanding foam :thumbs:

I had the same idea. Let me know if it works out lol

• 2 weeks later...

2018 Sierra 3500 here.  Has done it since day 1.  Most annoying noise ever.  I have tried everything as well and can't figure out how to make it stop.  It's too bad, I love the look of the truck...but this noise makes me not want to drive it.  Having something right next to your ear is maddening.  And the dealer has been less than helpful...not just on this issue but all of them. 

• 4 weeks later...

I folded a hand towel in half, wedged it over the door seal on the back side of the pillar, and then closed the rear door on it.  Being that the noise is intermittent, I can't be 100% sure, but since then, I've yet to hear the ticking noise.  Obviously not a permanent solution, but...

I don’t have the B pillar tick but I have a rattle over certain bumps coming from what I can diagnose the OBD port around there. Omg driving me insane. Sounds like metal tapping metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 9:16 PM, Jaychevy81 said:

I don’t have the B pillar tick but I have a rattle over certain bumps coming from what I can diagnose the OBD port around there. Omg driving me insane. Sounds like metal tapping metal.

Pull the plastic off under the steering wheel and I bet you find the bolts holding that support in are loose.  I had the same noise in my 15 and three of those four bolts were loose.  

Pull the plastic off under the steering wheel and I bet you find the bolts holding that support in are loose.  I had the same noise in my 15 and three of those four bolts were loose.  

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!! I didn’t reply to the post but WTF is up with that 3 of the 4 were lose????? I thought it was just me when I saw that. How what why lol????

39 minutes ago, Jaychevy81 said:

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!! I didn’t reply to the post but WTF is up with that 3 of the 4 were lose????? I thought it was just me when I saw that. How what why lol????

I read it on here on another thread just by chance one day.  I had been driving  myself nuts trying to find the metallic rattle.  I read that thread and thought it was worth a look.  I already had most of my interior apart doing a sub install so I pulled that panel too.  Sure enough mine were loose just as others described.  No more rattles now, at least until the bass kicks in. Lol

I read it on here on another thread just by chance one day.  I had been driving  myself nuts trying to find the metallic rattle.  I read that thread and thought it was worth a look.  I already had most of my interior apart doing a sub install so I pulled that panel too.  Sure enough mine were loose just as others described.  No more rattles now, at least until the bass kicks in. Lol

Yea same here drove me nuts for days I knew a general area. So I took the panel off and sure enough 3 of the 4 were lose. Now by any chance did your truck go in for a leak from the shark fin? Cause mine didn’t make any noise until it went in for that. Just wondering prob not the case but.

Last 3 GM trucks I had you have to slam the rear seat down in the back on the drivers side or I would have a annoying knocking sound the whole trip. It took me a while to find out but If I lift up the back seat I make sure and slam it good or else. Maybe that is your problem. 

9 minutes ago, Jaychevy81 said:

Yea same here drove me nuts for days I knew a general area. So I took the panel off and sure enough 3 of the 4 were lose. Now by any chance did your truck go in for a leak from the shark fin? Cause mine didn’t make any noise until it went in for that. Just wondering prob not the case but.

I just bought mine used this month so I’m not sure. Had 19500 on it so it’s entirely possible.  I find it strange so many have the exact same issues.  Had to be an assembly line issue.  

I ran into a similar but much more dangerous issue on my 15 2500 Cummins I traded in on this truck. I was about to install a steering brace on it and was doing some reading for bolt size on the steering pitman arm nut. Lots of guys said theirs was finger tight when it should have had 175-200lbs of torque on it.  I thought no way they were making crap up (it was on the internet aftetall lol). So I go to install and sure enough my pitman arm retaining nut was finger tight and barely on. At this point my truck had 1700 miles on it. I was blown away as many others on that thread said theirs was loose too. 

I just bought mine used this month so I’m not sure. Had 19500 on it so it’s entirely possible.  I find it strange so many have the exact same issues.  Had to be an assembly line issue.  

I ran into a similar but much more dangerous issue on my 15 2500 Cummins I traded in on this truck. I was about to install a steering brace on it and was doing some reading for bolt size on the steering pitman arm nut. Lots of guys said theirs was finger tight when it should have had 175-200lbs of torque on it.  I thought no way they were making crap up (it was on the internet aftetall lol). So I go to install and sure enough my pitman arm retaining nut was finger tight and barely on. At this point my truck had 1700 miles on it. I was blown away as many others on that thread said theirs was loose too. 

Wow that’s scary honestly yea your right I guess it can be an assembly line issue. My first thought was the wonderful dealer techs lol I found the pic I was gonna bring to the dealer the next time I go lol. . cd90965ab3d3abd639edc6c3205f0022.jpg