Towing a gooseneck with a 1500

Rme2513

Thinking about going to a gooseneck over my bumper pull for my tractor to get ride of the sway when I have everything on the trailer I can't get enough tongue weight is there anyone that pulls a gooseneck with a 1500 and what are your experiences with them I have the 6.2 with the 8 speed and it pulls it fine now other then the sway but the trailer it self will add 1400 lbs

Are you gonna be able to stay within the truck's max weight and the max axle weight?

in not sure because of tonuge weight seeing how there's a lot more on a gooseneck then bumper pull it does not really say much about the ratings of one in the owners manual for a1500 would it be more for a gooseneck or the same as a bumper pull. I would be around 8k pounds trailer and all on it ( truck is rated for a max trailer weight of 9100 lbs and max GCWR of 15000 lbs ) and if you use the same 20% as you do with a bumper pull that would be 1600 pounds the owners manual say 1200 pound with weight distribution but that's for a bumper pull

I wouldn't tow a gooseneck with a 1500 personally. And you can't shift some stuff around to get more tongue weight to reduce sway? And with a gooseneck and tractor you're only at 8k pounds which means that tractor only weighs around 4k, roughly. I'm not sure I would invest in a gooseneck unless you plan on hauling larger loads in the future. And at that point step up to at least a 6.0 HD

• Like 1

I've pulled with a goose neck for 40 years the only way to go for controlling a load. I never did it with a half ton. If I was going to pull loads with a 1/2 ton and had a option for goose neck I'd go that way. Putting your hitch point over your rear wheels is definitely preferred than the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I wouldn't tow a gooseneck with a 1500 personally. And you can't shift some stuff around to get more tongue weight to reduce sway? And with a gooseneck and tractor you're only at 8k pounds which means that tractor only weighs around 4k, roughly. I'm not sure I would invest in a gooseneck unless you plan on hauling larger loads in the future. And at that point step up to at least a 6.0 HD

I would have to buy another trailer to get more tongue weight because I have a loader on the front and I had the tiller in the bucket with a bush hog on the back.The trailer is 18' and with all that it hung over the back 2' and at that the trailer is close to being maxed out with all that on it so no mater which way I go I really need another trailer my truck pulls it fine just to much for the trailer IMO. The trailer is rated for 7k lbs ( 2 3500 lb axils) the trailer it self weighs 2k tractor 3500 lbs bush hog 800 tiller 500 so there's 6800 lbs dry weight if I were to buy another bumper pull say 20' I would really only gain about a foot more towards the tongue Edited by Rme2513

I feel your pain...try it with additional wheel weights and loaded rear tires, it becomes a balancing act!

If you stay within your limits, I see no issues. I would prefer a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch for towing, they are better than a bumper pull in almost every aspect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can't tell from the picture if you would have enough bumper/tailgate clearance but if you could lift the Kubota's bucket and rest it tipped forward on the trailer's front cargo rail you might be able to get the tractor another foot or two forward and gain some tongue weight that way. That would also take care of some of the brushcutter's overhang and maybe keep the constabulary from giving you the hairy eyeball if your DOT regs require a trailer load to be confined within the trailer.

Can't tell from the picture if you would have enough bumper/tailgate clearance but if you could lift the Kubota's bucket and rest it tipped forward on the trailer's front cargo rail you might be able to get the tractor another foot or two forward and gain some tongue weight that way. That would also take care of some of the brushcutter's overhang and maybe keep the constabulary from giving you the hairy eyeball if your DOT regs require a trailer load to be confined within the trailer.

I thought about that but I have to make some sharp turns and I think it will hit the truck

You want to keep most of the weight on the trailer. I wouldn't haul that with anything but a gooseneck anyway with a dual wheel trailer. The equipment is too long you wouldn't make it past the police.

Robert, one other thought, how heavy is the bucket? If the bucket is manageable by 2 guys and is pinned for easy removal and re-installation you could haul the bucket in the truck bed and that would give you a couple feet more to move the tractor forward on the trailer.

I've got a Kubota tractor that's larger than that one, that setup weighs maybe 4500-5000# my guess. Mine is the MX5100 HST. You don't need a gooseneck to pull it. I pull mine with a 24 ft trailer that's built alot like a car hauler. It has 2 7K axles and it places the load mostly in the trailer axles where it should be. I have pulled it with 2 half tons that I have owned as well as a Duramax that I had for a while. No problem and well within load limit. The trailer I have was about $4K and is a bumper pull. I got a Schuck shock hitch and all is well.

I would also add that if I were you I would ditch the add a leaves in favor of an airbag setup. Far more capable and can be adjusted unlike add a leaves.

We just took my father's tractor up to our land and mowed off the field and trails...we took the mower (a 6ft Woods) and lifted it in my truck and hauled the tractor on his trailer...took two trucks, but his trailer is only 16 ft and his tractor is a mini-farm tractor (probably 5k without the loaded tire, wheel weights, and bucket)...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You want to keep most of the weight on the trailer. I wouldn't haul that with anything but a gooseneck anyway with a dual wheel trailer. The equipment is too long you wouldn't make it past the police.

police are no worries unless it's the DOT but I doubt they will bother me every one does that around here I did not buy it as a combo but they are sold that way with a 18' trailer and they all over hang