Harvey and Irma Shoppers Trending Towards Trucks In Big Numbers

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-93040300-1506600468_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-28-2017

Data this week from Jumpstart Automotive Media shows that shoppers in areas affected by hurricane's Irma and Harvey are shifting their preferences to pickup trucks in a big way. The study looked at the shopping choices of residents in Texas and Florida where the storms hit the hardest. They found the following uptick in shoppers leaning towards pickups:

Texas:

- Midsize Pickup Truck (+26%)
- Heavy Duty or 3/4 & 1-Ton Pickup 1 Ton Pickup Trucks (+11%)
- Full-Size Pickup Trucks (+7%)

Florida:

- Midsize Pickup Trucks +21%
- Heavy Duty 3/4 & 1-Ton Pickup 1 Ton Pickup Trucks +14%
- Full-Size Pickups +3%

One of the most interesting trends is the huge swing to midsize pickups like the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. Colin Thomas, senior analyst, strategic insights for Jumpstart commented on this trend, saying, “Growth in interest for Midsize Pickup Trucks in Houston and Miami (post hurricane) makes sense since these trucks are more compatible with an urban lifestyle, as well as offering the necessary comfort, space, versatility and features today’s shopper looks for.”

Over 1 million vehicles were flooded out in Texas. Trucks run about 50% of the registered vehicles here. Many new vehicles on the lots were flooded or damp and the good ones with no damage went fast. You can't find a decent loaded out truck near the Gulf Coast. Got to drive way up north or get stuck with a lower trim level no one else wants.

I lost a very nice Ranger Boat and a Mustang GT in one of my storage facilities that went 7 foot under water and never took water before. Not replacing the Mustang any time soon as I have a bunch of other vehicles but the Ranger Boat factory is already backed up over 12 weeks to build my replacement boat. Really sad when insurance has paid off and you are ready to hand them 75k but they don't have a slot to build your boat this year. I will remain boatless bank trash for a while until I can get a 2018 build slot for my new boat.

Good news: All 3 of my GM trucks were on high land and survived. One got a little damp from the AC system intake overloading with rain fall but l let it dry out on its own as I don't want it totaled by the insurance company. (FYI, vehicle HVAC air intakes can't handle the huge volume of fast rain and not leak into the cab, causing dampness in the floor board. The condensate drain hole can't keep up with theat much water coming in that fast.)

That said, I have seen thousands of undamaged 2016-2018 GMC OEM LED headlight assemblies heading to the crusher. That is hard to watch but the way the process works with flood vehicles. They can't be sold separate from the truck.

If there is any lesson to learn it is this. "Never flooded before" does not mean it will never flood and people like me that had insurance made out very well while the people on TV that lost everything with no insurance took a calculated risk to save a little money and lost it all. Shame on them. Their choice they made.

I live in Texas, my family lost two houses in the flood, and our neighborhood flooded, we were two houses down from the water. I'm amazed by how bad it hit and how many vehicles were lost. The truck numbers sound right though, I work from home, but I still own 4 trucks. A 1994 Dakota, a 1993 Yukon GT 5 speed, a 1998 Navigator and my 2017 Silverado. Us Texans might be a little obsessed with our trucks. Harvey was just confirmation that I can't be without a truck, man they got their use during the flood! Always hauling people or things.

Archived