Putting winter tires on without sensors?

calltrex

I have extra set of rims I was going to put winter tires on.

Just don't want to spend extra just for air sensors. Don't care

Anyone put wheels on with just valves.

What happens on dash? Is it going to flash all the time or only if your on the air pressure screen?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I do get where you're coming from, as I don't feel a need for the things myself.

I believe they are now considered a safety issue, as they are mandated to be on all vehicles built after a certain date. You can drive the vehicle, but it will throw warning lights and if you get pulled over by the popo for some other reason, they could have your vehicle towed if they notice the problem. Granted the odds might be low on them noticing.

Here in Ontario, they now have zero tolerance for safety infractions.

I wish people would provide TRUE info on websites. The only time in Ontario that a zero tolerance policy applies to a light on the dash for a TPSM is when you are selling it certified.

Police have zero say whether your TMPS light is on. I have no sensors for my winter tires and a friend who's a police offcer has been in my truck in the winter. He gave 0 shits about the warning light because it is not a mandatory safety item in Ontario.

Here's a link;

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20160627/NEWS/160629943/ontario-tda-issues-warning-about-tpms

I wish people would provide TRUE info on websites. The only time in Ontario that a zero tolerance policy applies to a light on the dash for a TPSM is when you are selling it certified.

Police have zero say whether your TMPS light is on. I have no sensors for my winter tires and a friend who's a police offcer has been in my truck in the winter. He gave 0 shits about the warning light because it is not a mandatory safety item in Ontario.

Here's a link;

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20160627/NEWS/160629943/ontario-tda-issues-warning-about-tpms

Perhaps go back and see what I actually said, vs what you interpreted it as; First, I said it's something that "could" happen, which means it might happen, not will happen. Second, I said "the odds are low"- which means a low probability. I mentioned that "I Believe" they are part the safety requirements, which is only my understanding of something, but is not an absolute, or a pure statement of fact. Nor is is an intent to mislead.

I also mentioned that don't care for the TPMS's myself. The OP didn't provide info on which area they're from & some states/provinces are even more strict than Ontario, so that has to be kept in mind.

Now, go get yourself pulled over in any one of the daily safety blitzes the the MTO/OPP have been doing all summer in Southern Ontario. They have been giving zero tolerance on those blitzes and are pulling plates over the stupidest things.(it's really just a tax grab) They apply the same approach as if the vehicle is getting a safety to get sold. One guy I know had to get a tow only 1km from his house due to a stupid little non-critical thing. Wouldn't even give him a 3-day warning, which was an option for them.

Do they include TPMS's as part of that? It's not my call, or yours.

I have multiple friends that are OPP officers & they don't give a shit about a lot of things when they're off the clock & with their buddies. On the job & with people they don't know - it can be a very different story. The MTO can be just plain jerks.

To be clear, the intent of my post was to show the OP that, while I'm perfectly OK if they choose to go without TPMS's, I'm not about to give them advice that could potentially get them in trouble. If you want to drive without them, go ahead- I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not going to give you advice to do that though.

Somehow we managed to drive in the past without a sensor telling me that my tire pressure is low. I wonder how we managed to do that in the past without issue (unless it was a Firestone on a Ford).

Those sensors are only good when you have a slow release puncture. Considering most tire failures are complete blowouts, TSP's are a cash grab.

I got the sensors for half price today so I just got them. Then I won't be annoyed with dash light

Thanks

Good decision! HBC is correct in stating that we managed in the past without TPMS's but they became standard for the our benefit. Driving on improperly inflated tires can create an unsafe condition. In the old days low pressure was more noticeable on a bias ply tire, visually and when driving. I still check my tires occasionally with an old fashioned tire gauge but appreciate having the TPMS feature.

Good decision! HBC is correct in stating that we managed in the past without TPMS's but they became standard for the our benefit. Driving on improperly inflated tires can create an unsafe condition. In the old days low pressure was more noticeable on a bias ply tire, visually and when driving. I still check my tires occasionally with an old fashioned tire gauge but appreciate having the TPMS feature.

These are the sensors I got

369b214e270fec0c52ba85da51e570dc.jpg

I got the sensors for half price today so I just got them. Then I won't be annoyed with dash light

Thanks

Assuming the Silverado is like my Malibu, now you'll just need the special GM TPMS tool for syncing the sensors up with the vehicle. No more putting the car in "Sense mode", overinflating the tires and releasing the air until the car horn chirps.

Assuming the Silverado is like my Malibu, now you'll just need the special GM TPMS tool for syncing the sensors up with the vehicle. No more putting the car in "Sense mode", overinflating the tires and releasing the air until the car horn chirps.

The place I got them programmed them to my truck before I picked them up

$50-100 will get you the tool if you want to do it yourself.

Those sensors are only good when you have a slow release puncture. Considering most tire failures are complete blowouts, TSP's are a cash grab.

Really?

I've been driving since the 70's.

I've had exactly one rapid deflation -- didn't manage to avoid a piece of steel on the road, and it slice a tire -- but even with that I was able to get the mile and a half home so the spare didn't need to be put on on the side of the road.

I've had countless slow leaks, due to everything from nails and screws to leaky valve stems to wheel/tire beads that decided they need to leak.

I've NEVER had a complete blowout.

But most of the tire issues have been identified without use of TPMS's.

I do agree that for me they are not a make or break safety item.

If we are going to have them it's nice to have ones that provide actual pressure information, as opposed to some of the older systems that just lit a light if they thought there was a problem.

I did pony up for a set of sensors for the winter wheels for the truck

That's funny. I've had 2 blowouts and the nails/screws that were in my tires, I noted the tire visually before I got in my car/truck where the TPS pointed out the tire that was low. Sure they are a nice feature but I would not be worried to not have snows without them. That is my point.

Archived