6.2 Long term?

My '14 LTZ Z71 Double Cab was declared totaled by insurance on Friday and I'm waiting for them to give me a value. In the meantime I've been weighing my options and a 6.2L is in the mix. Any one that has driven one for two or three year I'd like to hear how things have been.

Edited by 2010AT

I had a 2011 Silverado 6.2 with a 115000 miles. When i traded it in it was still a solid motor. I always changed oil every 3000 miles. I always ran 87 even though you are supposed to run at least 91. I miss the sound of the exhaust the 6.2 compared to the 5.3.

• Like 1

My '14 LTZ Z71 Double Cab was declared totaled by insurance on Friday and I'm waiting for them to give me a value. In the meantime I've been weighing my options and a 6.2L is in the mix. Any one that has driven one for two or three year I'd like to hear how things have been.

They are not old enough to really know how reliable they will be, the LT is an entirely new line of motors that was engineered from the ground up. The displacement being the same is just something that made tooling a little cheaper.

That being said, everything I've seen on vette and truck forums points to the LT motors being just as reliable as the LS motors, which is very reliable.

• Thanks 1

135,000 on a 14 6.2L only issue I have is a small oil leak at the oil pan... Ill have it addressed at next oil change and report back. Truck idles better now than the day I bought it. Have ran Speedway premium since day one. Replaced battery and thats it...

I have a 2014 with a 6.2 with ~65k on it. The only problems i have had to date were a bad injector and a busted exhaust valve spring. The injector i guess had a TSB on it and they replaced all 8. The truck ran fine it just had a mil light on that had to do with cold start and it happened not too long after i bought it. The valve spring i think was just bad luck vs a systemic issue with the 6.2. They fixed that over 40k ago and its been fine since. Overall in my opinion its as solid as any other motor GM makes and i would not hesitate to buy another.

40,000 trouble free miles on mine....its a DI motor so some lunatics insist it needs a catch can so as to prevent oily residue/carbon buildup on the valves/intake-plenum - course that also could (should) void your powertrain warranty if anything ever came up. IMO its a good motor lots of torque should go for 150k trouble free I'm sure.

• Confused 1

135,000 on a 14 6.2L only issue I have is a small oil leak at the oil pan... Ill have it addressed at next oil change and report back. Truck idles better now than the day I bought it. Have ran Speedway premium since day one. Replaced battery and thats it...

Finally found someone with more miles than me!

I have a 14 6.2 with 122,000 miles and runs fantastic. Never had a catch can installed just some mods (LT headers, cat-back exhaust, MIT tube, blackbear tune) If all goes as planned I plan on doing TSP heads, cam, and DOD delete this winter, and when I do I plan on doing a detailed write up on how the internals look.

I had a 2011 Silverado 6.2 with a 115000 miles. When i traded it in it was still a solid motor. I always changed oil every 3000 miles. I always ran 87 even though you are supposed to run at least 91. I miss the sound of the exhaust the 6.2 compared to the 5.3.

Pre 2014 motors were completely different that the 14+ motors.

(everthing except the displacement)

I had a 2015 6.2, and I definitely agree about the sound difference.

• 1 year later...

Update:

183,000 miles on a ‘14 6.2

oil usage is around 3/4 to 1qt. Every oil change using the mileage the truck calls for.  Changed oil viscosity to 5w-30 and I think it slightly helped with usage.  I run a catch can so some is going bye bye that route.

I had oil leaks that were actually the lines for the transmission cooler.  Engine is as good as any high mileage I have ever owned. Have ran premium since day one and still do.  Truck runs perfect and everything still works.

only issues lately are the assist tailgate and a mild leak from RR seal found when doing brakes...

also about vibration:

i ran my original brakes to 125k and replaced with NAPAs best brakes (my shop has an account so...) the brakes barely made it 60k and vibrated violently. Replaced with GM oem brakes (the ones that came on truck with coating) and eliminated 80% of vibration.  Tires replaced with Continental Cross-Contact and rides as smooth as ever.  Just an FYI and the GM brakes last a long time

Edited by wacko