6.2 Long term?

Update:
183,000 miles on a ‘14 6.2
oil usage is around 3/4 to 1qt. Every oil change using the mileage the truck calls for.  Changed oil viscosity to 5w-30 and I think it slightly helped with usage.  I run a catch can so some is going bye bye that route.
I had oil leaks that were actually the lines for the transmission cooler.  Engine is as good as any high mileage I have ever owned. Have ran premium since day one and still do.  Truck runs perfect and everything still works.
only issues lately are the assist tailgate and a mild leak from RR seal found when doing brakes...

also about vibration:
i ran my original brakes to 125k and replaced with NAPAs best brakes (my shop has an account so...) the brakes barely made it 60k and vibrated violently. Replaced with GM oem brakes (the ones that came on truck with coating) and eliminated 80% of vibration.  Tires replaced with Continental Cross-Contact and rides as smooth as ever.  Just an FYI and the GM brakes last a long time
Great to hear how many miles have been put in this motor so far!

Just curious, at what mileage are you changing it at?
I believe there are different miles if it is considered normal, or severe duty in the book..... Or are you going by the dic when it says it's time to change?, If that's the case, do you have a guess as to how many miles that would typically be?
Again just curious, not trying to start a debate between everyone's opinions......

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

On 10/4/2017 at 1:01 PM, crushNchowda said:

its a DI motor so some lunatics insist it needs a catch can so as to prevent oily residue/carbon buildup on the valves/intake-plenum - course that also could (should) void your powertrain warranty if anything ever came up. 

That's what I call an ignorant statement right there.

How would a catch can void your powertrain warranty? Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects you from exactly this.  Further, to not even have that become an issue, you can simply pull it if taking the truck in for warranty work.

DI only motors (like the L86) don't have fuel to wash down the valves.  These poorly designed PCV systems allow oil into the intake tract, resulting in oil baking onto the valves.  Some motors (like the N54 in my BMW) can be badly impacted by this, which is why I put a catch can on it days after I purchased it and also have an upgraded PCV valve.

I only have 737 miles on my L86.  I have already installed a UPR single outlet catch can.  OEM grade fittings/hoses.  Other than the need to drill the mounting hole out slight to fit the bolt, it was a 5 minute install.  Simply pop the quick connects off on each side of the short PCV hose.  Single bolt to mount the can, attach new lines.  Only tool need is a 13mm socket or wrench to remove/install the can.  Even if your truck blew the motor on the side of the road you could put it back to stock well before the truck driver arrived...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have had 2 5.3's and on my second 6.2 in the new LT platform. I don't think you will find someone who has or has had a 6.2 that will tell you it's overkill or not needed. It is a fantastic motor coming out of a 5.3. The speed, torque, and towing are great. Because I don't need to downshift or beat on the 6.2 I get better fuel mileage all the time. But the fuel mileage is better on the 6.2 than the 5.3 towing or highway. Haven't had a motor issue on any of them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

That's what I call an ignorant statement right there.

How would a catch can void your powertrain warranty? Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects you from exactly this.  Further, to not even have that become an issue, you can simply pull it if taking the truck in for warranty work.

DI only motors (like the L86) don't have fuel to wash down the valves.  These poorly designed PCV systems allow oil into the intake tract, resulting in oil baking onto the valves.  Some motors (like the N54 in my BMW) can be badly impacted by this, which is why I put a catch can on it days after I purchased it and also have an upgraded PCV valve.

I only have 737 miles on my L86.  I have already installed a UPR single outlet catch can.  OEM grade fittings/hoses.  Other than the need to drill the mounting hole out slight to fit the bolt, it was a 5 minute install.  Simply pop the quick connects off on each side of the short PCV hose.  Single bolt to mount the can, attach new lines.  Only tool need is a 13mm socket or wrench to remove/install the can.  Even if your truck blew the motor on the side of the road you could put it back to stock well before the truck driver arrived...

Opposite of ignorant - seems I pin pointed exactly the reasoning behind why someone would feel inclined to add a catch can....I don't disagree w/ the logic, just feel that its not needed & GM absolutely could void your warranty or put up a fight about a catch can if you had an issue w/ injectors/fuel rail/dropped valve/bent pushrods (all of which I have already dealt with btw) - which brings me to my other reason for stating this isn't really needed & its not worth messing w/ the warranty (if you have a 14-15 I guess w/ the weak ass 60k powertrain warranty they now have it matters less) - These motors have issues, period. Forget about the carbon buildup from DI system, how about dropping valves & trashing the cam bending pushrods due to the shoddy AFM/DOD hardware/software? MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely that this will occur than any damage done from carbon buildup on the plenum & valves lol!!! 

Oh & some GM dealers won't mess w/ you for a catch can? mmmkay - ironic this thread just popped up on the forum, 3rd post in https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/216563-issues-after-70k-miles/

That being said - if your intention is to keep the truck long term - that AFM hardware will fail well before you need to be concerned about carbon buildup @ which point you junk all that crap for a new DOD delete cam/lifters/springs etc. all the old hardware will be out so you can get an idea how much carbon was built up, replace w/ new anyhow, & at that point make the determination if you think a catch can is needed. Get the intake ported @ the same time, that'll take care of buildup there as well.

But to the original point. 6.2 or 5.3 - both plenty of power, don't think you'd be disappointed either way, if you can get a good deal on the 6.2 go for it.

Cheers.

Edited by crushNchowda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, sldhead700 said:

Great to hear how many miles have been put in this motor so far!

Just curious, at what mileage are you changing it at?
I believe there are different miles if it is considered normal, or severe duty in the book..... Or are you going by the dic when it says it's time to change?, If that's the case, do you have a guess as to how many miles that would typically be?
Again just curious, not trying to start a debate between everyone's opinions......

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

When truck was new I did 5k mile intervals for the first 4 changes.  I now use the DIC which I believe averages around 7,500 ~ 8,500.

i love the catch can discussions they are amusing to me.  I know what it catches and the best part is so does my dealership.  They agreed with me that it is a good, cheap insurance policy.  They had zero issues with me having for warranty denial.  It’s not as effective or as necessary as an EGR delete on a duramax but it does its job...

• Like 1

I had a 2014 Sierra 6.2 AT and now have a 2016 Sierra 6.2 AT. Both have been solid, only issue I had on my 2016 was a bad injector recently. Took the dealership a week to sort it out.

To counter what was said in regards to a CC,  GM will not void or deny any warranty in regards to one. All of my vehicles since 2001 have used a CC in some way, shape or form. GM even puts them on the new Corvette and Camaro with the 6.2 from the factory, it works similar to the aftermarket system but doesnt pull from the oily side. When my truck went in for the injector the tech had to look at the pistons, valves and inside of the intake manifold as part of the process to determine if it was the injector or a cracked head. With 26k miles on the clock he said my engine was the cleanest DI engine he had ever seen at that mileage. The tops of my pistons were clean, the inside of the intake was dry and the valves had zero coking on them. He saw my CC and said that was the best move I could have made from the get go, otherwise you need to have a top end cleaning done every 2 years or 25k miles.

If you plan on trading in every 3 years then do as you want, if you plan on keeping the truck long term put a CC on it. Plain and simple.

My truck has the Airaid CAI kit on it, Katech ported OEM throttle body, a E85 sensor kit, deleted the secondary cats, Magnaflow muffler and no flapper valve or resonator. It is tuned on E85 and I have tuned the transmission as well. AFM has been turned of since day 1 and the truck drives perfectly. I forgot I did just have the trans flushed as part of the shudder issue, waiting to see if it comes back or if I wait for the 2019 Q1 fix that is coming out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As stated above^^^^ GM uses catch cans in stock cars. The reason they initially resisted it, is because people barely change their oil, adding another thing to check is just another neglected maintenance item. A full catch can can cause as much trouble than what your trying to prevent. Many corvette guys with pictures of the plenums, superchargers, and valves show that clearly a catch can is needed in the LT motors. I have had one installed from week one, always concerned with the amount of oil that would have gone into the motor. Why it's a debate is beyond me. It is just a screen inline of a vent hose catching oil droplets in a can. Not in anyway can it cause a problem. Your literally catching oil mist from the air. So argumentive people, who are rigid, can't think for themselves, and won't pay for a CC really believe GM designed the engine with oil injection in the intake??? It designed that way?? Or maybe its a by product of an oversight or design flaw. Then why do they have catch cans on other engines of the same design??   Notice they are more expensive cars with a different owner?? 

Arguing about a CC is like arguing about waxing your car. It can help but it can't hurt.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:30 PM, Lgetz said:

No issues with either All Terrain 6.2s. Great power and relatively economical provided you aren't constantly gassing it.

I find that hard not to do   :-) the constant use of the right pedal that is!

Edited by SS502

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 12:01 PM, crushNchowda said:

40,000 trouble free miles on mine....its a DI motor so some lunatics insist it needs a catch can so as to prevent oily residue/carbon buildup on the valves/intake-plenum - course that also could (should) void your powertrain warranty if anything ever came up. IMO its a good motor lots of torque should go for 150k trouble free I'm sure.

So you just called roughly 50% of the 6.2 DI world lunatics? While I agree with you that it could void your warranty, I most certainly do not agree with should void. I suppose if someone let the can fill up and stop normal flow of things with a blockage then there could be an argument for voiding a warranty. I don't think too many "Lunatics" would bother to install one and not empty the darn thing. I will also say that my co-worker sold his 2014 6.2 with over 140XXX miles and never had a catch can nor any problems with the 6.2L so to each their own. I will run one and be a lunatic if for no other reason that it make me feel better...that and it's my money.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SS502 said:

So you just called roughly 50% of the 6.2 DI world lunatics? While I agree with you that it could void your warranty, I most certainly do not agree with should void. I suppose if someone let the can fill up and stop normal flow of things with a blockage then there could be an argument for voiding a warranty. I don't think too many "Lunatics" would bother to install one and not empty the darn thing. I will also say that my co-worker sold his 2014 6.2 with over 140XXX miles and never had a catch can nor any problems with the 6.2L so to each their own. I will run one and be a lunatic if for no other reason that it make me feel better...that and it's my money.

Lunatic is probably the wrong word - Fanatic would have been better. I have had GM screw w/ me on warranty issues for CAI, I have a friend w/ a G8 GT (I also had one) who had warranty work denied on his car (dropped valve tore up lobes on the cam etc.) & he had a CAI & a CC installed, didn't take either off when he brought it in - ultimately they did the warranty work but did not cover all the parts/labor & continued to claim the CC contributed to the failure - did it? Probably not, but GM dealerships aren't in the business of TRYING To find excuses to blow GM corporate $$$ on warranty claims - they're TRYING To minimize the costs associated w/ said claims as much as possible - they're given incentive to use any mod possible as an excuse to void warranty or deny a claim. To think otherwise is nuts. On the other hand I also had a GM dealer perform warranty work on my G8 GT when it head LT headers, catless mids, CAI, & a stall....worked on the transmission, so who knows.

I guess my biggest gripe w/ the catch can has more to do w/ the fact that there are so many other documented mechanical issues w/ the drivetrain that being concerned about carbon buildup on the valves & intake would be the least of my concerns - & I simply don't want to run into any problems w/ my warranty given my truck has only 57k on it & is paid off.

TBH I love mine I would not go back to a 5.3L unless I didn't have the money. With that said, the current L86 is not as reliable as the 2007-2013 L92 was. As mentioned above there are quite a few threads on here of the AFM system taking a dump and bending pushrods, valves and afm lifters. I imagine this is not 6.2L specific, however I don't notice as many threads of downed L83's. Maybe the L87 will improve on this, as they re-coded the engine, but going down to V1 mode does not inspire confidence in my eye. An LS or LT engine without AFM is 100% the most reliable engine in the truck market due to its simple design and minimal moving parts. Ford's 5.0L Coyote has nearly 200 more moving parts to operate. OHV is the best design for a truck engine imo, DOHC/small displacement is for sports cars. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2017 at 11:04 AM, drentlaw1 said:

Finally found someone with more miles than me!

I have a 14 6.2 with 122,000 miles and runs fantastic. Never had a catch can installed just some mods (LT headers, cat-back exhaust, MIT tube, blackbear tune) If all goes as planned I plan on doing TSP heads, cam, and DOD delete this winter, and when I do I plan on doing a detailed write up on how the internals look.

Did you do any of the wishlist upgrades? Motor internal pics / new thread?

21 hours ago, crushNchowda said:

Lunatic is probably the wrong word - Fanatic would have been better. I have had GM screw w/ me on warranty issues for CAI, I have a friend w/ a G8 GT (I also had one) who had warranty work denied on his car (dropped valve tore up lobes on the cam etc.) & he had a CAI & a CC installed, didn't take either off when he brought it in - ultimately they did the warranty work but did not cover all the parts/labor & continued to claim the CC contributed to the failure - did it? Probably not, but GM dealerships aren't in the business of TRYING To find excuses to blow GM corporate $$$ on warranty claims - they're TRYING To minimize the costs associated w/ said claims as much as possible - they're given incentive to use any mod possible as an excuse to void warranty or deny a claim. To think otherwise is nuts. On the other hand I also had a GM dealer perform warranty work on my G8 GT when it head LT headers, catless mids, CAI, & a stall....worked on the transmission, so who knows.

I guess my biggest gripe w/ the catch can has more to do w/ the fact that there are so many other documented mechanical issues w/ the drivetrain that being concerned about carbon buildup on the valves & intake would be the least of my concerns - & I simply don't want to run into any problems w/ my warranty given my truck has only 57k on it & is paid off.

Hey, I can gladly accept the honor of being a fanatic! I've been called soooo much worse. I envy you in a few respects, 1) you obviously have the 5 year 100,000 drivetrain coverage and 2) yours is paid off! Now to address the warranty concerns, the catch can is easily removed for the unforeseen dealership visit so for me it's a non-issue. Now as for your concerns "so many other documented mechanical issues w/ the drivetrain " go, well I simply can't fix everything that has been documented (and carbon buildup on the valves & intake is included) so I will just try to circumvent the latter. I would rather deal with all these issues than just click an app on my phone and have a driverless whatever pick me up and drop me off... 

On 11/14/2018 at 10:07 AM, SS502 said:

Hey, I can gladly accept the honor of being a fanatic! I've been called soooo much worse. I envy you in a few respects, 1) you obviously have the 5 year 100,000 drivetrain coverage and 2) yours is paid off! Now to address the warranty concerns, the catch can is easily removed for the unforeseen dealership visit so for me it's a non-issue. Now as for your concerns "so many other documented mechanical issues w/ the drivetrain " go, well I simply can't fix everything that has been documented (and carbon buildup on the valves & intake is included) so I will just try to circumvent the latter. I would rather deal with all these issues than just click an app on my phone and have a driverless whatever pick me up and drop me off... 

Haha yeah well I can definitely agree on the last point! Honestly I hope I drop another lifter just as I crack 101k miles so I can tear into that top end & A) get a look at the valves/cylinder heads etc. see how varnished up they truly are (a number of guys who run GM's as fleet vehicles and/or work on them regularly report that even after 70-100k miles the valves did not look especially bad FWIW) & B) give myself an excuse to address the weak points in the valve train/AFM system & throw a nice torquey cam in it. 

2 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

Haha yeah well I can definitely agree on the last point! Honestly I hope I drop another lifter just as I crack 101k miles so I can tear into that top end & A) get a look at the valves/cylinder heads etc. see how varnished up they truly are (a number of guys who run GM's as fleet vehicles and/or work on them regularly report that even after 70-100k miles the valves did not look especially bad FWIW) & B) give myself an excuse to address the weak points in the valve train/AFM system & throw a nice torquey cam in it. 

That my friend sounds like a great plan! I will get rid of the AFM for sure (after warranty) and a lot more. I do get that the CC is very debatable, like I mentioned a very good friend/co-worker never ran one and had zero problems. Heck, if nothing else it gets me under the hood to drain it and opportunity to tinker/clean/check fluids and MOST importantly...avoid the Honeydo list!