In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

On 10/3/2017 at 7:58 AM, Greatlakes6.2 said:

I had a 2011 Silverado 6.2 with a 115000 miles. When i traded it in it was still a solid motor. I always changed oil every 3000 miles. I always ran 87 even though you are supposed to run at least 91. I miss the sound of the exhaust the 6.2 compared to the 5.3.

Don't forget your 2011 6.2 was not a direct injected motor and running cheap 87 oct. gas is asking for issues down the road imo on a engine that does not spray fuel over the valves! Really your saving about 5 bucks per tank by going cheap and buying low grade fuel, doesn't make sense to me.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's what I call an ignorant statement right there.   How would a catch can void your powertrain warranty? Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects you from exactly this.  Further, to not even

99150 miles on my 2015 6.2. The torque converter was replaced at 40k for the shudder issue but other than that zero problems and runs as good as day one.  Blackbear e85 tune coming as soon as it

Opposite of ignorant - seems I pin pointed exactly the reasoning behind why someone would feel inclined to add a catch can....I don't disagree w/ the logic, just feel that its not needed & GM abso

Posted Images

Traded my 2008 Escalade with a 6.2 for the 2016 Sierra I currently drive that has a 6.2. I put 200k miles on the Escalade 6.2 and had zero major issues, all routine maintenance done to it by the book. Only complaint I could have was it did use oil, about 1 quart every 5k miles - not a big deal in my book though. I did all maintenance myself so I know it was done right. Only ran full synthetic Mobil 1 oil and did a full tune-up at 100k miles (plugs/wires changed, MAF sensor/throttle body/intake cleaned, CAI cleaned, all major fluids changed). If you take care of her, she'll take care of you. There's always the exception where someone had a major issue, but I think you'll find that the 6.2 is a great motor. My 2016 Sierra 6.2 has been great in the 15k miles that I've put on it. I have a custom tune on it that shut off the AFM, so I'm in V8 mode all the time. I also had a custom tune on the Escalade 6.2.

1 hour ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Traded my 2008 Escalade with a 6.2 for the 2016 Sierra I currently drive that has a 6.2. I put 200k miles on the Escalade 6.2 and had zero major issues, all routine maintenance done to it by the book. Only complaint I could have was it did use oil, about 1 quart every 5k miles - not a big deal in my book though. I did all maintenance myself so I know it was done right. Only ran full synthetic Mobil 1 oil and did a full tune-up at 100k miles (plugs/wires changed, MAF sensor/throttle body/intake cleaned, CAI cleaned, all major fluids changed). If you take care of her, she'll take care of you. There's always the exception where someone had a major issue, but I think you'll find that the 6.2 is a great motor. My 2016 Sierra 6.2 has been great in the 15k miles that I've put on it. I have a custom tune on it that shut off the AFM, so I'm in V8 mode all the time. I also had a custom tune on the Escalade 6.2.

apples to oranges bud. One was an LSx now we're on LTx based DI ecotecs. I had an LS1 GTO that just clicked past 200k as well (sold it to someone I know) - but that has nothing to do w/ this discussion. I'm sure your '08 Escalade didn't shake you like a paint can or have the AC condensor fail in 1 year either.

Edited by crushNchowda
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, crushNchowda said:

apples to oranges bud. One was an LSx now we're on LTx based DI ecotecs. I had an LS1 GTO that just clicked past 200k as well (sold it to someone I know) - but that has nothing to do w/ this discussion. I'm sure your '08 Escalade didn't shake you like a paint can or have the AC condensor fail in 1 year either.

Not arguing they are the exact same and it doesn't change my experience with the LTx 6.2. As stated, I have not had an issue yet with the motor in the 15k miles that I've owned it. Bought the truck from the same dealership that serviced it for it's entire life (previous owner had it for 55k miles and now me for 15k). Have all the service records and nothing has ever been done to the motor in it's 70k+ miles. My truck doesn't shake me like a paint can and the original AC condenser is still working perfectly. Not sure what those have to do with him asking about people's experience with the 6.2 though. Was simply letting him know I've had a great experience with my last two 6.2 engines (even if they only have their displacement in common). I get what you're saying though and it's important to note the differences, as others have specified.

Edited by midwestdenaliguy
4 hours ago, crushNchowda said:

I'm sure your '08 Escalade didn't shake you like a paint can or have the AC condensor fail in 1 year either.

My '07 Escalade had a rough idle.  Fresh plugs, cleaning the MAF, fresh wires, fixing an exhaust leak, etc. had zero impact.  Actually a well known issue/problem with the L92 that in most cases couldn't be solved.  Also had a nice case of piston slap.  Actually, there are a TON of common problems with the Escalades, so you will easily lose that comparison...

99150 miles on my 2015 6.2. The torque converter was replaced at 40k for the shudder issue but other than that zero problems and runs as good as day one. 

Blackbear e85 tune coming as soon as it hits 100k. I will then drive it another 100k.  

• Like 2

So the talk of the catch can reminded me to check mine. Good thing because I must have forgotten the last oil change too because this is the most I have ever seen in there!!! No way this oil should be being returned to the combustion chamber!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0181.JPG

6 minutes ago, STEVEN A said:

I dread the day I can't get another 6.2L V-8 engine and am forced to get a V-6 or have to suffer indignity of a 4 cylinder or an electric motor. 

I feel the same way. There is nothing like a big HP V8 in a full size sedan, sports car, or truck. I am willing and do pay for this luxury. My wife has a Jetta Sport w/ the 1.8 turbo 4. It is a cool little car and is very agile and peppy. I love it in town and local.  But it is no road trip car for me. There is no downside to our 6.2.  It gets great fuel mileage and is an animal when you need it! 

Volvo, Mercedes and others are all pledging to be all electric in just a few years. Mercedes is already implementing electric into the gas vehicles and I noticed they don't use the term hybrid?! This is intentional. They are shoving it down our throats. Look at the new line up and how hard it is to get the 6.2 unless you jump through the expensive hoops. 

I will not be going electric. All my old muscle cars are already converted to LS 5.7 FI motors. I am still hoping the LT line holds up as the LS line has. If so I will own the last 6.2 LT and maintain it! 

Even the new S class comes with a 6 cylinder, the S450, they make you pay up for the big v8. 

What many people do not understand or even consider beside all the drawbacks (and there are too many to list) is that politicians and activists are pushing for electric when hydrogen is the cleaner better choice. But my point is when an owner goes electric he has to draw more amperage off his electric panel. That amperage comes off the pole, then off the grid. When one person in your neighborhood goes electric it's not a problem. But when everyone does, it will not work. The grid cannot keep up with ALL Americans on electric. Lets not even get into how much fossil fuel is used to make electric at current levels. Electric is a dead end with more problems than it solves. 

Hydrogen you could sell me on, as we have a lot of water to make it from, and the emission is water! 

I plan on being the old guy driving a model T.......

• Like 1

Volvo, Mercedes and others are all pledging to be all electric in just a few years. Mercedes is already implementing electric into the gas vehicles and I noticed they don't use the term hybrid?! This is intentional. They are shoving it down our throats.

935e98f5d98bb32e07c9685922192c8b.jpg

77cda6378cbafd827b597fe0d266239b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Sad 1
23 hours ago, seamus2154 said:

I feel the same way. There is nothing like a big HP V8 in a full size sedan, sports car, or truck. I am willing and do pay for this luxury. My wife has a Jetta Sport w/ the 1.8 turbo 4. It is a cool little car and is very agile and peppy. I love it in town and local.  But it is no road trip car for me. There is no downside to our 6.2.  It gets great fuel mileage and is an animal when you need it! 

Volvo, Mercedes and others are all pledging to be all electric in just a few years. Mercedes is already implementing electric into the gas vehicles and I noticed they don't use the term hybrid?! This is intentional. They are shoving it down our throats. Look at the new line up and how hard it is to get the 6.2 unless you jump through the expensive hoops. 

I will not be going electric. All my old muscle cars are already converted to LS 5.7 FI motors. I am still hoping the LT line holds up as the LS line has. If so I will own the last 6.2 LT and maintain it! 

Even the new S class comes with a 6 cylinder, the S450, they make you pay up for the big v8. 

What many people do not understand or even consider beside all the drawbacks (and there are too many to list) is that politicians and activists are pushing for electric when hydrogen is the cleaner better choice. But my point is when an owner goes electric he has to draw more amperage off his electric panel. That amperage comes off the pole, then off the grid. When one person in your neighborhood goes electric it's not a problem. But when everyone does, it will not work. The grid cannot keep up with ALL Americans on electric. Lets not even get into how much fossil fuel is used to make electric at current levels. Electric is a dead end with more problems than it solves. 

Hydrogen you could sell me on, as we have a lot of water to make it from, and the emission is water! 

I plan on being the old guy driving a model T.......

I'm glad that I am not alone regarding a V-8. I too have a spouse with a turbo 4 banger, a Tucson. It has a 7 speed dual electric clutch I think it is. A fun little car for neighborhood trips to keep the miles down on my Denali and save them for the freeway. Don't get me wrong I really like the tech in the autos and trucks now. Both my vehicles now have auto braking and lane keep and now like nav was 15+ years ago, I won't own another automobile or truck without these safety features.(see the report from GM on here about AEB) Body shops watch out for a decline in work. What happened to the Hydrogen that was going to be the next big thing? I remember when I bought a new Ford truck with a V-10 (late 90's?) that there was an hydrogen option then for fleet purchasers only.

What muscle cars have you swapped over to the LS?

I completely agree with you on the grid not being able to handle charging 2 cars per day per family and all the government and fleet vehicles.

10 hours ago, STEVEN A said:

BTW, what is this from? What causes it?

That’s his oil catch can...there is a lot of discussion on the need or non-need of an aftermarket Oil Catch Can. Here is a link to better explain the concept. If you decide to get one there are a ton of them out there so do your homework, to me there are only 3 good ones for our trucks.

Edited by SS502