6.2 Long term?

15 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

Glad this thread was started. I've been contemplating a 6.2 swap for an a body project. In doing so I've asked around a bunch of shops and most say stick with the 6.0 because it has better geometry. A few won't even touch the 6.2 LS or Lt. Not sure what to make of this I really like the power and sound the 6.2s have. It's crazy to hear issues with the lifters as much as I do though. A bit scary to invest money into something that could fail.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I just got my 6.2 and absolutely love the power, my boss just went from a 2010 2500 Sierra with a 6.0 right at 200K miles with no problems, he bought a 2019 1500 AT4 with the 6.2 and he said he can't believe how much power the 6.2 has. Unfortunately GM is not the only motor with lifter issues, I had to have the lifters and cam replaced on my 2014 RAM 5.7 at 75K miles, and we've had several other Rams at work that needed lifters replaced that were under 100K miles. So far the 6.2 GMCs at work haven't had any lifter issues up to 100K miles. On my Ram it was the MDS (deactivated cylinders) lifters that failed. 

Edited by draperfish

6 minutes ago, draperfish said:

I just got my 6.2 and absolutely love the power, my boss just went from a 2010 2500 Sierra with a 6.0 right at 200K miles with no problems, he bought a 2019 1500 AT4 with the 6.2 and he said he can't believe how much power the 6.2 has. Unfortunately GM is not the only motor with lifter issues, I had to have the lifters and cam replaced on my 2014 RAM 5.7 at 75K miles, and we've had several other Rams at work that needed lifters replaced that were under 100K miles. So far the 6.2 GMCs at work haven't had any lifter issues up to 100K miles. On my Ram it was the MDS (deactivated cylinders) lifters that failed. 

Yes the power output on the 6.2 is impressive, for me it feels like the numbers are more than advertised. I don’t do any fancy launches and easily trounce the few I’ve had wanting to beat me to the opening down the road. Every manufacturer has its share of problems. All you ever heard about the 2008 5.3 was that it eats oil...mine never did and sold that with 186,000 plus miles. I would be curious to know the real number of people with problems. Eight of my coworkers drive Chevy or GMC (the 14-18) and none of us have the infamous shake or engine issues. I do run a catch can but other don’t. I also have less than 2000 miles on mine so who knows. The GM crowd have a few system (like headlights and a/c) issues. Some others drive Ford and most of them don’t have any issues either with the exception of the two diesel Fords...they both have had multiple problems with the engine alone. The Ram guys seem to have electrical bugs. The Tacoma drivers hate the new 6 cylinder/trans units. These are mechanical beasts that will have problems, that’s just gonna happen. My 70 Chevelle that I built (it’s a clone) using high quality stuff has suffered the occasional problem. I used a GM crate ZZ502, Moser (Ford designed) 9 inch rear end, Wilwood brakes and a ton of other stuff...no such thing as perfection.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I would be curious to know the real number of people with problems. Eight of my coworkers drive Chevy or GMC (the 14-18) and none of us have the infamous shake or engine issues. 

I would love to know the real numbers too, unfortunately seems like google searches only turn up the horror stories and who knows how many thousands of trucks are out there than never have issues. One of my coworkers has a 2014 Sierra with the 5.3, he's currently at 120K miles and hasn't had a single problem and his truck is running great. The owner of my company drive's Yukon Denali's and doesn't trade until they have over 200K miles, he runs 87 octane and hasn't had problems. 

Edited by draperfish
  • Like 1

Not all together bad news if they can get the new motor in quickly and do the repairs correctly the first time. Loaner car yet? You'll have nearly a new motor with a long block.

Vehicles is the only thing I buy extended warranties for. My warranty, being retired,  always times out before my mileage runs it out. You can get a 7 or 8 year warranty with 100K for less than a grand or even way less if you add a deductible. Mine with a 50. deductible  was $650. for a 7/100. It's  coverage includes a rental car and trip insurance and is bumper to bumper, not just power train. I don't want to find out how much a 10 speed is or that fused link that's so costly.

7 hours ago, BB68 said:

Kind of ironic, the hp big blocks of the 60/70s used to suffer from dropped valves also.

Yeppers...my 402 did just that, and used to eat a couple rocker arms every summer.

*Note, that is not a typo...there used to be a 402 (396) back in the day. Just didn’t want anyone thinking the 502 mentioned in other posts was the culprit ?

Edited by SS502

Not all together bad news if they can get the new motor in quickly and do the repairs correctly the first time. Loaner car yet? You'll have nearly a new motor with a long block.
Vehicles is the only thing I buy extended warranties for. My warranty, being retired,  always times out before my mileage runs it out. You can get a 7 or 8 year warranty with 100K for less than a grand or even way less if you add a deductible. Mine with a 50. deductible  was $650. for a 7/100. It's  coverage includes a rental car and trip insurance and is bumper to bumper, not just power train. I don't want to find out how much a 10 speed is or that fused link that's so costly.

The lady that called me didn’t even mention a loaner! I’ve called everyone at the dealer except my salesman because he isn’t there anymore! She told me yesterday she was waiting on a loaner to open up. Lol! Didn’t even bring it up today. I’m getting a loaner or refund for a rental before it’s over with. I’ve had to drive my dads 2016 Colorado crew z71. Just over 22k Miles, as soon as I sat down in the driver seat the change oil message comes up. Fixed her up with some mobile1 5/30 full synthetic.[emoji23] like riding in a box!

On 10/4/2017 at 1:04 PM, drentlaw1 said:

Finally found someone with more miles than me!

I have a 14 6.2 with 122,000 miles and runs fantastic. Never had a catch can installed just some mods (LT headers, cat-back exhaust, MIT tube, blackbear tune) If all goes as planned I plan on doing TSP heads, cam, and DOD delete this winter, and when I do I plan on doing a detailed write up on how the internals look.

Please do a detailed report on the internals. I am one of the many conspiracy theorists that think that the OLM sucs and people are keeping the oil in their engines way to long and sludging them up. Here is a pic of a 2009  6.0 AFM engine at 198k that has had high quality Synthetic run from day one but the OLM schedule was followed and some oil changes were at over 10k intervals. UGLY sludge is present. This should not happen and is proof of Global warming OOPS I meant proof that the OLM lies of course.

IMG_6765.jpg.d0f00459a1e285a839f827dd2b798c1b.jpg

IMG_6766.jpg.7f38ee1b6e4acf3e6c884a4482ac786c.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dnt said:

Please do a detailed report on the internals. I am one of the many conspiracy theorists that think that the OLM sucs and people are keeping the oil in their engines way to long and sludging them up. Here is a pic of a 2009  6.0 AFM engine at 198k that has had high quality Synthetic run from day one but the OLM schedule was followed and some oil changes were at over 10k intervals. UGLY sludge is present. This should not happen and is proof of Global warming OOPS I meant proof that the OLM lies of course.

IMG_6765.jpg.d0f00459a1e285a839f827dd2b798c1b.jpg

IMG_6766.jpg.7f38ee1b6e4acf3e6c884a4482ac786c.jpg

I have always been suspicious of that OLM guide. To me this makes me wonder about the need for extra expense of synthetics. My vehicles are often under "severe duty" due to short trips even though I make sure the engine always reaches normal operating temps. I buy the best I know of and use 0/5-40/50 when I can find it. I am surprised to see that varnish and sludge but I have seen worse with fewer miles so I will  most likely continue on still. Which brand of synthetic?

On 11/23/2018 at 9:57 PM, STEVEN A said:

I dread the day I can't get another 6.2L V-8 engine and am forced to get a V-6 or have to suffer indignity of a 4 cylinder or an electric motor. 

GM ran a very expensive Hybrid experiment from 2008 to 2013 with the Two Mode hybrid concept.  They used a 332hp 6.0 with AFM/DOD and 2 electric drive motors approx 110hp inside a unique Allison HD Hybrid transmission. The combo moves the nearly 3 tons of Tahoe along very nicely. I have been learning a bit about the Two Mode system since I bought a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid with nearly 200k miles about a month ago to be my beater daily driver.  The silly thing works great and runs like a top. Fascinating technology it is making me a great daily driver. People are so scared of the Hybrid technology and having a problem that you can pick these up on the used car market for rock bottom bargain prices. I am pretty picky though I have to have a one owner situation with service records and that is what this one is.    

5c088a1b6d285_2009TahoeHybrid.thumb.jpg.4c5791aa3e08891ab237ccbfb2401e6c.jpg