1SLOW1500's Turbo truck build

1SLOW1500

Nice turbo. I'm happy.
Tune is so close truck lights up the tires all the way through 1-2 and then I let up.
I will need to soften up the traction bars.
Still playing with this turbo and tune but trans is so tight the hit on shifts jerks you head back and barks the tires. And this is low boost 8 and less. As I was on spring only.

Dyno will be mandatory as I need the max tune with no spin. Then I can use the boost controller like a TC and progressive boost control. Should give me traction.

Hope new turbo isn't as aggressive down low. f8bb7bcd85a2022027a91f7e7a257e3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok so I was having a issue with heat coatings on my turbos. My twin turbo Camaro had a ceramic silver coat and in 3 months it was all burnt off. Last coat on this truck was 90% but still on the way out. So new turbo I looked into a popular coating I used in my other hoppy of firearms. Cerakote coating. Even a air dry coating is rated at 2000*.
Want to see how this works on a 6.5" ak47 barrel with a flaming pig and in full auto. Then I would have the new suppressor coated as they take super abuse.
Anyways takes 5 days to air dry, so next weekend I will swap it out.
Dealing with some weather and tuning here but all is well and truck has never been so fast.7802e38a1c7803c6809d5ecd188396e6.jpg401cd23f6e7fa10447f6bf7edb9232bf.jpgefdfd6e7ffc5b1333c7dd9b4ab8ab64d.jpg07ae305d73bbbc937f072932a11b330d.jpg

• Like 2

FAIL. So few issues the new turbo is a 3" outlet and my setup is 2.5" so needed a silicone 90*. Had to wait till Monday but called on3 and as always they sent it free no questions asked. Also the down pipe doesn't line up. As it was modified to fit the Borg Warner turbo. So I will need to get some 3" stainless and start up the welder.
So this weekend back at it. Pics to come.

• Like 1

Got the new elbow installed and re clocked the compressor. All that is left it the gap in the down tube. So I will pick up some stainless in the morning and get to cutting and welding it up.
Need to remember to prime the turbo and to re align the crossover pipe. May need to come up with a way to limit the expansion on that.
I will take this till I run out of fuel or once the dyno reads 650rwhp. I will need yo retune the baro settings as it is already freaking out. Then dyno to finish it off. 1811282c17157b032c0392a195b310b3.jpg20236fe8ffae97ff96170aba9e20799b.jpg

Ok it's done. Had the normal oil leaks, drain and feed at turbo. Quick fix. This turbo exhaust housing is a little bigger so at idle the turbo is just spinning slow. Hope that raises my boost spooling point to over 3000k. As the other turbo was just too quick, even more so in daily driving with the always shifting 6 speed. Still need yo redial it in will the new turbo but that's easy.

Note the oil drain is tricky on a turbo it is high and back in the pan but with a full 8qt. And my additive oil is at the drain when truck is nose up or on a hill. Worries me with draining. But never pushed through the turbo or leaked.

Hope video posts. Just 4psi little rolling pulls.
Check engine is the Baro I redid the tune. But I will need to break out my maf.
So now I need to decide if e85 or meth is also in my future as i could also break out the iat. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5bbbfe7b31151/20181008_153301.mp4

This Hiwow company makes cheap heat products but the quality is amazing. I was going to buy the dei because I used it on my car and motorcycle but the turbo blanket was $381. I paid under $30 and free shipping came in two days and looks cleaner. Covers everything I cant even see the turbo exhaust housing at all. I will have to see if that drives up the internal temp. As at warmed up temp I am at 900 on expressway 1000. Need more heat in it.
Will say this turbo is 3 times louder. Only pushing spring pressure right now so 8.7psi is peak. 7501dfe60e50a36b5bdcffd3bedb5510.jpg

Well that escalated quick. Redid my tune for the new turbo and ran out of boost. I was seeing a MAX of 12.9psi. With the as shipped 6lb wastegate spring and my controller at 5.1lb active 95% duty and 15% gain. I could up it  to 100% on both but I think I would get boost spikes. So going to order the 8lb spring for 16lb boost. Wonder if I should just order the 11lb now. Also think I may just get the driver side stainless header. I believe it flows better but question if the difference noticeable.I could buy any head that is stock y pipe compatible, but the ON3 is 2.5mm thick stainless.  Oh well give me something to do.  

As for fuel I will get a set of LT4 injectors and pump also a shim. A cam can bump it up but I read this is better for my power goals 650whp. And "if" I want more a cam on top of that, people say 950-1000rwhp.  Need about 30% more fuel for a E85 tune at higher boost. 

Do you still have the stock connecting rods? I’ve seen a couple videos (and maybe you’ve already mentioned it in this thread) that they are a weak point when pushing the HP above 500.
Yes I do and I have a back up motor. But rods are good till 600-650rwhp. Or so I'm told by reliable sources. Lot of 600rwhp and lower trucks out there. Tune and back pressure and iat is key. That is why the breakout maf and talk of meth/water or e85.

• Like 1

So more silicon line is ordered in case I see waste gate surge I can quickly change the source line to the controller out port. Dangerous? Maybe but have to plan ahead. Ordered the 8psi spring. 

Was going to order the stainless driver side header but for whatever reason it said it wasn't for the 2014-2017 trucks so bought a set of stainless shorty headers. I will pick them up today.

I will do a solid no spike 15psi tune and data log all the fuel tables for  a few days.

THere is a local shop that is having dyno day. I think I will go and see what happens. I know I will not win the most power as there are fully built cars/truck there but fun day anyways. 

Still trying to get part numbers for GM factory E85 conversion. Need the right part # as it will take 3 weeks to get from a family member for free. 

Also may need a helper bag as I'm taking to a shop in NC to take my drag car and build it this winter. So a trip would be needed and I'm lowered with no 3rd leaf spring.