1SLOW1500's Turbo truck build

1SLOW1500

My mistake. Though the fan switch was on the outlet. Inlet (if in a single cooler) is same as pan. Pretty close anyway. 
Like to see them sell different temp sensors. I mean it is super small and is has a small single threaded post that just hand tight into the inline an block.
Did you ever do a thermostat mod and what temps are you running? I know your setup is different and goal is mpg. Just been asking everyone that question lately.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Did you ever do a thermostat mod and what temps are you running? I know your setup is different and goal is mpg. Just been asking everyone that question lately.

Yes I did a delete. image.png.fd805606935c3f41afa538ac8e8ee422.png

Blue line is with the 180 F stat and the orange a 170 F stat. 55 mph is the constant. Air temp the variable. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grumpy bear I may have asked you this before but I speak to so many people daily I get lost. Have you used or played with at all the Blue cat trans software. It is free and very very interesting. I'm trying to master these new trans. I am good at shifts and the adapt tables. But I know there is much more there. Also the rpm or the mph for shift points, lock up the TCC(torque convert clutch) in shifts. Up and down shift pressures. I think there can be huge improvements in mpg by setting the x pattern ,that is the normal drive gear to easy going. Then the tow haul more agressive. Also there is a special that says go to M6 and the tap up.and down quick shift. Maybe fun.
Got the software set now for 2 step. Just had to block out the misfire code under 3100rpm. Also dont know why I didn't remember this but the hill assist I need to be carefull of in tow haul.
Temps at Iran sit at 163* after many miles and not moving it can make it to 180* but fan will bring it back. Still haven't added the air dam. I know I need to just busy summer life.
Thinking if this is the case I will lower the HOT trans value to 200* vs stock 212* so if it hits 200* the trans goes into protection.

I don't tune. There are people way better than I. Not that I wouldn't like to learn. I gave up tuning when the brain was removed from the driver and put under the dash. Okay I tune I just don't do it via the ECU or TCM. I manipulate what it sees and let it do what it does. For instance. When I bought my TC88 in 05 I could have bought the Harley Race Tuner for a few hundred then paid for seat time on the dyno. Instead I read the files, installed twin coolers, which is desperately needed, which lowered the cylinder head temperature below the fully warmed up lean fuel table and it just increased the map 5% all by itself. Raised the fuel economy about 3 mpg, rid it of a decal pop and gained about 6 hp. manipulating the temp map with a cooler. I got a loaner tuner read from one of the guys at the shop that bet me I couldn't and I won that bet. 

You should see my 90 year old Dad with a paper clip, a low ohm ten turn pot and jumper play that tune. 

• Like 1

Looks like you got the trans cooler mounted in a good spot, should be out of the way of road debris. I was gonna say maybe add some screen in front of it, but that doesn't look to be necessary now. Otherwise sounds like you're well on your way

Engine cover looks sweet, I just did that myself. Neat how a minor thing can spruce things up. Other members have used Chevy/GMC emblems off crossover engine covers, that's something to consider. That and if you don't want the Caddy emblem I'll take it off your hands :D 

8 hours ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

Looks like you got the trans cooler mounted in a good spot, should be out of the way of road debris. I was gonna say maybe add some screen in front of it, but that doesn't look to be necessary now. Otherwise sounds like you're well on your way

Engine cover looks sweet, I just did that myself. Neat how a minor thing can spruce things up. Other members have used Chevy/GMC emblems off crossover engine covers, that's something to consider. That and if you don't want the Caddy emblem I'll take it off your hands :D 

Haven't spent the time to track down a emblem I like yet. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great build man, very informative. I don’t understand why all these kits or manifolds I see put the turbo where they do. The need to push it further into the front corner of the engine compartment. Create some separation for the heat. Armageddon did it right but I am not paying that. I will be welding my own together and I don’t think twins are necessary at all. Thank you for posting this learning a lot reading your stuff.

• 5 months later...