1SLOW1500's Turbo truck build

1SLOW1500

It turns out this little guy is very important. It is called a fire ring. From my understanding it is like a valve seal. This is why my waste gate appears to be open on idle. It is really closed but exhaust gas is going around the valve.
I have a appointment tomorrow for the down tube and exhaust refabed so it fits.
For the record the fitment issue has nothing to do with ON3. There products are perfect and I'm happy I have there kit. In my option it is the best kit available. Mine doesn't fit because I have a different frame size turbo and also the turbo flange adapter. These to items moved the turbo around, are the mounts around as I think the turbo is larger.868929367142e73425a6b6f91dc6f21e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well the fab shop is delayed for a day. Owner showed me around and there isn't even room to get a car in the building. Said there is a one year wait.
Got the scg-1 set. But working on tune. Had the fire ring installed. Now it builds low boost. With 6lb spring in waste gate and bov just set to bypass.
Driving around With nothing more than a 20 inch down tube is interesting.
Notice the importance of oil change after drain tap. A lot of crap was in the pan.
EGT with me babying it was 600-800*. So happy about that.
Built a cheap cover out of abs plastic. I will heat it up and form it to the metal and install the bolts threw it. Looks ok.
When tune is locked in at full boost I will go to dynotech for a custom drive shaft. And last converter. Then of for wrap and tint. 3f015e164d6a32f3ecd33b21de840eb7.jpg3383cb7e20d2fb77c26a6fac11a726aa.jpg3dd7317bcb98de864ff1a91013fb9e6f.jpg296087f56a19f35229fb742de767245b.jpg

So my buddy at Skinny Kid race cars did the work. And it is beautiful. Truck still has a little rasp so I will do a large bullet muffler. And a before tire side exhaust. All stainless 3.5 Or 4".
Tune is just cleaned up. And can handle 6psi. I LOVE it the whistle and blow off it is addictive.
Got my wheel spacers, relay,program cable, and clamp in.
Tomorrow I will install wheel well cover and skid plate. And tune all day.bb69e687536ab67aeb8fa4d59448653d.jpgb03e452a8d5f24adc23b77017293aae4.jpg38c315ed6f0486e9be15961b0f339d1b.jpg

• Like 1

The wrenching on truck is done. Any covers,wheel well, and skid plates back on. Pic of the waste gate tube. Also installed the 1/4" billet wheel spacers as my tires are leaving marks on the sway bar. Finally go my rear GMC badge on. And as simple as it looks the black and plastic looks great under the air filter.
Fix tune is in and it can low boost. But in a few days we are turning it up. 8c998fbd4527b4147fcf8cb4c7f34343.jpgf426e11e396bf98f4d564366d3d2836e.jpg5407e7b8bd93bc0829ff87f7de14f9e3.jpg

• Like 3

Ordered

Nav and DVD in motion bypass.

DynoMax 24247 stainless bullet muffler 3.5".

Still have to wire in all the led lights(under dash,ambient, extra bed lights) 

wire up the relay to convert BCM signal to positive for gauges to dim

wire in diodes for the cargo/reverse and also fogs/parking lights

Want to go get the wrap work done but need to stay to the plan and get the tune 100% dialed in. Playing with the idea of a dyno pull once it is running perfect. 

• Like 1

Drove to Lowes for house hold projects and beat the shit out of it still low boost(6.5lb). Truck steps out and loses all traction at 4lb. Got home and there is a large stain on the driveway. My fist thought was oil and F**K. But it was coolant. On3 put a 1.25" billet upper house radiator cap adapter in the kit, when the hose is a 1.5" I emailed Bob at On3 and he was on point and said it will mail out monday. On3 is a great company and has been there every time, couldn't be happier. 

Found a local company selling non step paint matched rear bumpers for my truck. And cheap $400 shipped. I emailed to check color. But this is a must as I HATE the steps 

Once all this weekends house projects are done i will get to wiring and pray my buddy at GM gets my software and tune done. Dam women blew the washer so two new LG's and change electrical, drain, water, vent, drywall, Granite tops, new sink, paint, floor, and hallway to match. Still have a 1000sqft basement and a attic to finnish and a new baby 90 days out... UGH....

• Like 2

Hit a wall. Need a better Map so ordered the GM 12592525 MAP it is a ZR1 part. Also the NGK LTR71X-11 spark plugs.  2 day prime shipping so goal is higher boost before weekend. And this turbo is LOUD. the whistle and blow off and 0-4psi is heard a block away. Got my muffler, It is a DYNOMAX stainless 3.5" bullet. Still working on what exhaust I want. 

Installed my nav/video in motion. I think that is a must for any 8" screen truck. It unlocks nav, text, email, video. I drive safe but I have the passenger input the radio.

have 2 other project cars that need to get to shops ASAP. 

Attic, floors,tree cut down,electrical, Sink,and new high lift garage door opener install so the Bendpak 4 point car lift can go in. 

All in 83 days before my baby boy is born. Oh and a 1000Sqft basement with bar,bathroom, theater, and office. 

I will not get it all done but it's a goal.  

Not enough time in the day. But hell it's fun. 

• Like 1

Did wiring today. Cargo extra lights. interior underdash and ambient lights. Tried the cargo-reverse and also the fog-parking light mod. But didn't work. So need to look into that. New tune I uploaded late but went for a spin anyways. And all the exhaust tone is cleaned up and it spins tires in the 1-2 shift. I now feel ok with the muffler I bought. Still on the fence with the dumped at axle or before rear tire side exit.
Had the factory upper hose leak on me so swamped our the clamp. Also the turbo compressor was to close to the waste gate. About 1/4" on the silicone tube to the band clamp on gate. So I re clocked the turbo 1/2" more.
Just waiting on 1.5" thermostat housing,ZR1 MAP, spark plugs, and exhaust. 3cc2c07abc648b5f627089fa245fee5c.jpgbda8c1ede5c506a61cbdf19d9ce5b166.jpgd7c140d0e1b9a7c743c4faec6cb6ffd6.jpg6eb1fbba968a2d59595e83c54950a776.jpgaf7ceb05c5bc224704188e92529537ae.jpg

16 hours ago, chrispassas21 said:

I️ 2nd this!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well last night I had some more issues. just when you think the tune is good. The weather drops and snows. I guess the colder air maxed out my fuel tables. Truck back fired on the top end. I will bypass the SC and reload the tune so it is drive able. I have my new Iridium NGK plugs and shorted the gap ready to install. But the key to all this is the ZR1 3 bar MAP. I am tracking the shipping, it is at the distribution center Detroit MI so I hope this weekend!

Tune alone cleaned up the the nasty exhaust sounds so now I think the Bullet muffler will work. 

I will do a video as soon and we get the fuel and map squared away. 

• Like 2

Small update. V band clamps suck even the $150 ones. Google says there are V band gaskets. But I can't see how they fit as the clamps are so tight to start. All the gasket seal products are rated at 650-700* . My EGT is showing 600 idle and 1000* running around. SUPRAFORUMS said to level file the band edges and gasket seal  it. 

2 of the biggest mistakes I made are not replacing the spark plugs before the turbo install and also not replacing the MAP sensor. I knew I needed them but forgot. I will tell you the worst thing in the world is passenger spark plugs with the turbo manifold. It is about impossible. I had the GM spec snap-on socket and every angle drive adapter. Still took 2 hours and even broke on plug and a wire. So 3 sets of plug wires and still issues. For the work and price just buy a extra set of plug wires $36 and have many extras. 

Upped the tune with the ZR1 map. Factory map is maxed at anything more than 40% throttle about 110kpa. the ZR1 map can go to 44psi. A must on boosted trucks and $31 on amazon.

coolant leaks on lower hose. And lose clamp at turbo. You need to kill the bolts on the t-clamps. Oil low light went on twice when I was driving. I checked the oil level at the dip stick, And it was over. So as I did a look over at all hoses and connectors i wanted to see if oil is escaping anywhere, My worry was at the drain. But it turns out the low oil sensor connector fell off. easy fix. 

On3 sent my 1.5" radiator cap to the wrong person but I contacted him and he is forwarding it to me then today On3 said they shipped another one. so I have 3 radiator adapters. Ugh well at least I can fix it. 

Exhaust is still not done. have most of the parts but focusing on tune. 

• Like 1

Tune 2 uploaded and can pull 7.5psi with no issues. Weather sucks and is raining hard. To hard to do a video or even one hard pull. Need to work over the SCG-1 the a/f is causing boost to be cut out, that makes the trans freak out and shift. 

But on a 6psi pull I got it up to 120mph today. really nothing done on the trans other than disable the torque management. My butt dyno says it is a little quicker and fun, however still not the "turn it up to 10" feeling. I think some issues are the DOD and trans setting. on the streets it down shifts to get better MPG but there is a delay in shift timing and V4 mod exhaust is horrible. Also in 4 cylinders is half as much exhaust flow and heat to spin the turbo.  

twice now the battery was dead had the battery check and it is perfect. So I hooked up my 300amp power supply to start truck. 

Waiting on my 2 upper radiator thermostat connectors. 

Some how the low level light connector came unplugged. 

All v bands are leaking so cleaned them and copper hi heat then aligned and clamped down HARD. 

Found some leaks on the coolant lines. Just bad clamps. 

Ordered 3M gloss black wrap. 

And some **** backed into my rear bumper and drove off. So insurance said I have to pay deductible. And that is more than a band new custom bumper painted and shipped. I will order new bumper and see the cost then maybe close my claim without insurance.  

• Like 2

Catch can work good. I think with the turbo it is really working hard. Working on dialing it in so did a little rewiring. Now I can data log O2 wide band in analog and also in serial (usb). In air fuel or lambda. Same with egt. Changed around my log channels. And did a few pulls.
Ordered 3.5" u bends from a local manufacturer, not cheap but 2 day shipped. Got a buddy the will tig it all up next weekend.

Still debating DoD delete. It is one button on hptuners but what decent fuel economy.b111d003777f3334fec725db6f10efc2.jpg1a6c90da5fde038feaf016733e231c94.jpg

• Like 1