Is Waxing Necessary?

Have 2003 GMC Sierra still shines other then rusting out in the cab corners [rusting from the inside out]. Never been waxed [except car wash spray wax once in awhile] in the 10 years 100,000 miles I've owned it. For me its no wax. Does it make it look better and feel better yes but where I live and how I use my truck I dont make time to do it. I wash it once in a while and it does take longer to scrub off the bugs and dirt sometimes.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wax my vehicles 2 times a year, spring and then in the fall. According to the owners manual waxing is not necessary but I do it twice a year and yes it does keep the paint cleaner longer. And as far as someone said it does not protect the paint BULL CRAP it does protect the finish.

Wax is what you're grandpa used, you want a modern sealant. Check out Adams Polishes H20 Guard and Gloss, you put it on a wet car and then dry the car basically. If you don't have time to do that you're awfully damn busy. It makes the truck so much easier to wash too.

Wax is what you're grandpa used, you want a modern sealant. Check out Adams Polishes H20 Guard and Gloss, you put it on a wet car and then dry the car basically. If you don't have time to do that you're awfully damn busy. It makes the truck so much easier to wash too.

This is only good if your truck is normally waxed and well maintained...Good stuff though!

Sierra Boy

This is only good if your truck is normally waxed and well maintained...Good stuff though!

Sierra Boy

I use it on my wife's car all the time, bought the car new and the only 'extra' cleaning I've ever done is clay bar alternative.... Car looks great and I do this to it every 4-6 months, I try to wash it it once a week.... My Silverado get's the full polishing and clay bar, the wife's car is a lease so it's more or less a throw away.

I use it on my wife's car all the time, bought the car new and the only 'extra' cleaning I've ever done is clay bar alternative.... Car looks great and I do this to it every 4-6 months, I try to wash it it once a week.... My Silverado get's the full polishing and clay bar, the wife's car is a lease so it's more or less a throw away.

Keep up the good work on the truck...I'm going to try this stuff on the next wash on the GMC. My truck is Black so only wash on cloudy days as I'm in direct sunlight all day at the house. Adams is good stuff and recommend all their products.

Sierra Boy

Keep up the good work on the truck...I'm going to try this stuff on the next wash on the GMC. My truck is Black so only wash on cloudy days as I'm in direct sunlight all day at the house. Adams is good stuff and recommend all their products.

Sierra Boy

My vehicles are both Dark Grey so I feel your pain, I wash in the dang garage half of the time....

My vehicles are both Dark Grey so I feel your pain, I wash in the dang garage half of the time....

Wish mine FIT in the garage!

Dark colors are a challenge sometimes and the neighbors laugh at me when I wash at night time with lights on..it works though!!

Sierra Boy

I am constantly waxing. I wash the truck once a week and wax a couple panels. Hood front fenders and tailgate get done the most. I do the sides less. It makes a huge difference. Probably more noticeable the older it gets. I also use a clay bar every other year. If you do that and feel the paint before and after you will certainly be convinced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wife drives her Terrain allot and long distance. Bugs are my reward for washing it. I clayed it then NuFinish the whole truck and the result was?

Takes minutes to clean the nose now instead of an hour plus. Fact is they wipe off with a wrung damp microfiber towel even after she cooks them a week on the road. Yea, it makes a difference. Way easier to wash and dry. NXT 2.0 is good too.

Wish mine FIT in the garage!

Dark colors are a challenge sometimes and the neighbors laugh at me when I wash at night time with lights on..it works though!!

Sierra Boy

Nothing wrong with that man, plus you stay cooler when washing too! I only bought silver cars but, it's so much more rewarding to clean up a darker color and make it shine!

The rain washes my truck. There will be no waxing.

I've never waxed a truck or any other vehicle I've owned in my entire life.

Poor thing to brag about IMO.

It's only necessary if you want your truck to look good. The wax protects the paint from the elements. It makes a big difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Agree

Makes cleaning the truck easier too. Dirt and debris don't stick to the paint as easy.

Remember if you take care of your vehicle it'll outlast one that is neflected.

True

Waxing is part of normal maintenance IMO.

:happysad:

Archived