Is Waxing Necessary?

Hey rear diff to your original point is waxing necessary. I don't technically know what wax is doing. But to have a 31yr old car, original owner, and original paint, the wax did something.

1986...no clear coat right?

Sierra Boy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

67 Black Nova in my gallery is Lacquer paint from 1974... I use 3M hand glaze to keep the shine and scratches down to a minimum. Adams detail spray works great on Lacquer paint,also Adams Americana original wax with plastic top works also if anyone has an older truck/car with Lacquer paint.

Sierra Boy

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to give it a good wash & wax tomorrow. What about the OEM polished aluminum wheels? Assuming those are clear coated? Would some wax help with pitting / corrosion with salt and junk in the winter? Is Windex safe to use on these to remove water spots?

What about the OEM polished aluminum wheels? Assuming those are clear coated? Would some wax help with pitting / corrosion with salt and junk in the winter? Is Windex safe to use on these to remove water spots?

You know, on the car I bought in '86, I had brushed aluminum vs polished aluminum wheels. Those wheels are still on the car and they still have a wicked shine. But I prefer my wheels to be painted. I have a car with painted wheels and they are clear coated. I do wax them which helps with pitting and corrosion. Don't use Windex that much cause it strips the wax. If I happen to see water spots, I use a mild shampoo with a netted sponge.

Poor thing to brag about IMO.

I'm not bragging. I live down a mile of dirt and gravel road. Spending more then 30 minutes washing my truck is a waste of time, because its dirty when I leave for work the next day. It's also a truck, gets used as a truck, and gets maintained like it should in any every other way. It'll be around as long as anyone else's truck will. It'll just have a little more dirt on it.

My wife's 17 Grand Cherokee gets washed a little more often, but I still don't wax it.

Rain doesn't wash your truck. It makes it dirtier....

I should have taken a picture of it before the rain over the weekend.

I'm not bragging. I live down a mile of dirt and gravel road. Spending more then 30 minutes washing my truck is a waste of time, because its dirty when I leave for work the next day. It's also a truck, gets used as a truck, and gets maintained like it should in any every other way. It'll be around as long as anyone else's truck will. It'll just have a little more dirt on it.

My wife's 17 Grand Cherokee gets washed a little more often, but I still don't wax it.

I should have taken a picture of it before the rain over the weekend.

I feel your pain...

I'm lucky to wash my truck twice a year, I waxed it twice in five years. I lack time to dedicate to detailing the truck...it has to be reliable, shiny paint doesn't make it reliable.

Clear coat was meant to eliminate waxing...I was in the business when clear coat was just hitting the market commercially...that was the selling point, and also to resist "acid rain damage" which was proved to have been an EPA hoax. Do any of you remember the coating GM shipped their cars with that had to be washed off with the special catalyst...they don't do that anymore do they.

The last truck (a 2004 Dodge) had almost 300k miles, got waxed maybe twice in eight years, and was lucky to get washed every couple month...that paint was perfectly fine. It might not have been the shiniest truck on the road, but the shiny ones wouldn't look very good if they got driven like mine.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I used my trucks on pipelines and utility lines for 40years. At the end of the work week we would wash it for the ride home. Every 6 months we wax it. Even if you never leave the pavement their dirty in one week. I can’t imagine driving anything more than a week without a wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect example: a guy I work with bought a new Hyundai Tiburon, pretty loaded one, leather seats, V6 etc, it's a 06 I think... Guy never washes, never waxes, leaves it parked outside at home to bake in the sun, it only has 100k miles on it and it looks like it's ready for the junkyard... My dad has an '02 Crown Vic with 130k miles on it, keeps it in the garage, washes and waxes regularly and his car still looks really nice for the age and miles... A little bit of care goes a long way.. I can't imagine not taking care of the paint on my vehicle to me it's just the same as all the other regular maintenance....

Archived