SULASTIC SHACKLES REVIEW

On 10/5/2017 at 2:21 PM, DENALIHD66 said:

Yes for sure. Before it would hop or sidestep even when going highway speeds, now it just flexes and handles them easily.

$399 plus shipping. I had them two days later.

Now that you have had almost a month of experience with these Sulastics, do you still feel they were a good investment? 

I downsized my wheels to 18" and that has helped to a certain extent with the harsh bumps. I am still thinking of installing the sulastics to further minimize the effect of road imperfections. The roads all seem to be getting terrible popping up strips and when they repair roads they don't seem to even do that well anymore.  Kinda like third world country roads .

I downsized my wheels to 18" and that has helped to a certain extent with the harsh bumps. I am still thinking of installing the sulastics to further minimize the effect of road imperfections. The roads all seem to be getting terrible popping up strips and when they repair roads they don't seem to even do that well anymore.  Kinda like third world country roads .
I'm looking for some 18" wheels now. My 20" look nice but like you I want a better ride over the crappy roads. You would think with technology and experience the roads and repairs would be getting better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Install on mine was part of a total suspension make over. The only things I can comment on and be sure of are these.

In my case they did not change the ride height. They do not make the rear feel awash as some have stated. They work. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Install on mine was part of a total suspension make over. The only things I can comment on and be sure of are these.

In my case they did not change the ride height. They do not make the rear feel awash as some have stated. They work. 

Hey Grump Bear,

i am am just about to get the Sulastics installed on my 2017 Sierra. I just can’t let enough air out of the tires to get ride of the harsh bump coming from the rear axle. Can you please explain what you meant by “awash”. I am expecting to eliminate most of the bang.  Thanks for your opinion in advance ! 

Hey Grump Bear,

i am am just about to get the Sulastics installed on my 2017 Sierra. I just can’t let enough air out of the tires to get ride of the harsh bump coming from the rear axle. Can you please explain what you meant by “awash”. I am expecting to eliminate most of the bang.  Thanks for your opinion in advance ! 
You're adding another pivot point that can flex...some report a "loose" feeling in the rear after installing these....feels like the tire is trying to roll off the rim, like if extremely low on air pressure or extremely overloaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BullShark. said:

Hey Grump Bear,

Look at sdeeters post. 

2 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

You're adding another pivot point that can flex...some report a "loose" feeling in the rear after installing these....feels like the tire is trying to roll off the rim, like if extremely low on air pressure or extremely overloaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I feel nothing of the sort. Feels exceptionally stable. Love them. Hope that helps BullShark. 

Thanks Grumpybear, 

It is an expensive jump and I have unfortunately regretted buying my 2017Sierra. I have already purchased two pairs of tires and downsized to 18” wheels. I actually thought it was improving but now it seems like it is getting rougher. It has been back to the dealership who has been working as hard as can be to help me resolve the issue. I have a bad back and always enjoyed my 2014 Sierra’s ride, therefore upgraded to a 2017. I will keep you posted on the Sulastic results since I already have the shackles . Thanks for the input. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BullShark. said:

Thanks Grumpybear, 

It is an expensive jump and I have unfortunately regretted buying my 2017Sierra. I have already purchased two pairs of tires and downsized to 18” wheels. I actually thought it was improving but now it seems like it is getting rougher. It has been back to the dealership who has been working as hard as can be to help me resolve the issue. I have a bad back and always enjoyed my 2014 Sierra’s ride, therefore upgraded to a 2017. I will keep you posted on the Sulastic results since I already have the shackles . Thanks for the input. 

I spend like crazy on my chiropractor. I feel for you. Same reason I did mine. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/4/2017 at 6:10 PM, DENALIHD66 said:

Wasn't able to take any pictures yet, but just wanted to post my impressions after getting the Sulastic Shackles installed. For those of you wondering what they are, here is the product link:

http://www.sulastic.com/truck-shackle-suspension-sa-04

So basically, they add an extra spring mechanism by replacing the OEM bushing that holds the frame to the leaf spring pack at the rear of the truck. By adding the additional spring movement, the leaf spring is no longer the only thing providing the suspension flex in the rear axle. They help with going over bumps, towing, hauling, and eliminating the harshness that leaf springs are known for. They also help to eliminate when going over bumps when the rear axle hops or sidesteps in turns.

I noticed them on my truck immediately. Everything as advertised is 100% correct. It still rides like a truck of course, but potholes, large bumps, anything that before would cause a good amount of jolt into the cab and the seat has been greatly reduced. The rear end no longer hops around when unloaded and going over bumps, especially when cornering. Over small bumps there really is no difference, so upgrading to better shocks will be my next step. But when it comes to being thrown or jarred around in the cab when you hit uneven pavement or a big hole, there is a gigantic difference.

I took measurements before and after to see if there would be any change in ride height, and amazingly there was. The rear end measured 1/2" higher than stock at the middle of the wheel well fender. For those of you running leveled trucks and want to get back some rake or towing/hauling height, then this is a much recommended addition as opposed to going with 2" blocks. Might not give you as much height as what you are looking for, but the ride improvement is worth it.

I tested them out off road (mildish) tonight, and they shine there as well. Since the axle now has more suspension flex, the axle moves with the terrain, and doesn't transfer that movement as much into the cab.

I'm glad I didn't try to install them myself... my local master mechanic spent 3 hours installing them. Said he had to remove the rear trailer hitch and unbolt 4 of the bolts holding the bed down just to raise the bed high enough to get at the bolts secured to the frame. Not a design issue of the Sulastic, but more a limitation of the factory design which is not engineered for anything to be upgraded later on.

I can post pictures later and answer any other questions you guys have. Maybe I can finally splurge for a GoPro that I want and make a video showing it in action as well.

Any updates on these?  Curious how people like them after some time.  

I think overall they've been a great investment.  Don't notice a ton of difference at this point because I'm used to them, and every now and then on an uneven bump I will hear a clunk which could either be the shackles working, or my sway bar.  Everything is nice and tight, so it's hard to gauge what is causing it.  Ride is more controlled going over rough road and also off road.  Apparently during the install, the mechanics had to raise a portion of the bed in order to get them into place.

Gonna be upgrading the OEM shocks soon to Bilstein 5100s and 33"s which should help even more.

On 10/30/2017 at 1:04 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

I read somewhere else that you're using deaver springs as well...?  All installed at the same time?