2015 Silverado 2500HD Leaking High Mount XM Antenna

Ok, countless posts on Google about bad seals, countless posts about dealers covering it while in warranty. How about while out of warranty? My truck is a 2015 and I'm over the 36,000 B2B warranty but come on, in 2 years the seal goes bad and leaks all over the interior of the roof? Are you kidding? It's at the dealer now getting looked at with a few other electrical issues (heated seats, cargo lamps).

Already wishing I never sold my 09, that truck was bulletproof.

Ya there are countless threads on here about this very issue. Drop the headliner clean the seal and apply silicone. Tighten it up and your good to go. 30-45 min tops.

The dealership said i have to replace the antenna no matter what. Is this not true? Just unscrew it, silicone it, and put it back? That makes sense to me but why would they say it has to be replaced?

I would bet they say that to make $$. Its a easy job. If you read some of the posts youll see some brand new trucks have this exact issue. Id rather do it myself than the unknown if the replacement will do the same thing. A bead of silicone around it before reinstalling is peace of mind.

You remove the screws from the oh sh*t handle

Remove the screw from the sun visor

Buy yourself some trim tools and pull the headliner down around the driver side.

Youll be able to pull the headliner down far enough to reach the antenna screw.

Unbolt it and clean the roof and existing seal with some rubbing alcohol.

Put a bead of silicone around and reinstall.

Ryan

I would bet they say that to make $$. Its a easy job. If you read some of the posts youll see some brand new trucks have this exact issue. Id rather do it myself than the unknown if the replacement will do the same thing. A bead of silicone around it before reinstalling is peace of mind.

You remove the screws from the oh sh*t handle

Remove the screw from the sun visor

Buy yourself some trim tools and pull the headliner down around the driver side.

Youll be able to pull the headliner down far enough to reach the antenna screw.

Unbolt it and clean the roof and existing seal with some rubbing alcohol.

Put a bead of silicone around and reinstall.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. I just did this. After pulling down the the headliner I found the bolt and it wasn't even hand tight (WTF!!!)). I took it all apart, cleaned the roof, did the entire inside circle with a huge bead of silicone (to the point it filled the bolt hole, did the outside circle with a bead of silicone, and fill the little space at the back of the antenna where it meets the roof with silicone and reassembled. Cleaned up what pushed out with rubbing alcohol after tightening the bolt and called it a day. That antenna is never leaking again. Thank you for the instructions.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the details.  The OnStar light is Red on mine so the water has taken a toll on the antenna and needs to be replaced.  Not interested in paying the dealer $480 for a simple repair.

Archived