Opinions on the 2018 Yukons??? Anyone purchased one yet?

Considering trading my 2015 Yukon Denali for a 2018 Yukon SLT Premium. IMO, the Denali has not been worth the $$$ we paid for it. Had trouble with the driver's side heated seat not working, at 32K miles the torque converter went out, at 55K miles both front shocks/struts started leaking fluid and had to be replaced, the black trim pieces on all 4 doors and on the back were loose and all had to be replaced. It drives and rides pretty rough compared to my mom's 15 Tahoe LT and my husband's 17 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Premium drives and rides like a dream. I love the look and luxury of my Yukon which is why I am considering another. Just not sure if it is worth it, considering all the problems the 15s and 16s have had.

You are buying the same exact truck if that matters.

Thanks- and no it doesnt matter or I wouldnt be considering it. There are a few differences. The 18 SLT premium has the 5.3L 8cyl 6 speed A/T WITHOUT the MR suspension. Hoping the newer model has worked out all the kinks from the 15s. And moving away from the crappy MR.

Thanks- and no it doesnt matter or I wouldnt be considering it. There are a few differences. The 18 SLT premium has the 5.3L 8cyl 6 speed A/T WITHOUT the MR suspension. Hoping the newer model has worked out all the kinks from the 15s. And moving away from the crappy MR.

OJ is correct, this is the same truck. The '18 SLT premium you mention is basically my '15 Tahoe LT (5.3, 8cyl, 6spd, AT, w/o MR) I bought in Feb '14. There will not be any kinks worked-out, it took GM 7 years to come out with this current generation 4 fullsize SUV beginning in 2015 and the differences will be aesthetic until at least 2020. I doubt the chassis, wheelbase, and suspension will change until the gen 5s hit the street.

MR vs PR will be relative based on what you are looking for. If you want your truck to handle like a sports car, then MR is probably the way to go. MR is on record as being too stiff but PR is on record as being too bouncy. I have PR but don't prefer the bounce. But if you can see a bump coming, you may can mitigate the bounce. I believe MR causes other unexplained issues with these trucks, this much weight handling like a corvette has to put stresses on the chassis.

Based on customer comments on this forum, a truck as close to base model with upgrades (SLT Premium) vs a higher end model with all the bells and whistles (Denali) seems to have less suspension and chassis issues.

• 1 month later...

I had the 2015 Denali and spent way too much time at the dealer. I stll can't believe the list of things replaced on that truck. Essentially a first year truck and they did change alot and improve known issues there after. I traded into a 2017 Denali XL and I hate to admit it, but it is alot better. Still annoyed I spent money to get out of my truck into this one being the same. But it is better in many ways. No placebo effect as I was pissed off from the day I bought it because I had enough of my 2015. There is nothing else out there that compares, just took a long road trip and it was outstanding. It is just a bit more polished. I am sure the '18 will be very slighly improved but ALOT better than a '15. Good luck!

below the double line is my write-up for a JGC forum about transitioning from a new 2012 JGC to a new '18 yukon denali... Overall, to me it's about size. I needed more room. But the Jeep had almost every feature I wanted. Since then I've relaxed my stance on driving aides as I can see my kids someday using it on the horizon. I'm neutral about those, and sort of like the yukon stuff, the JGC didn't have them. I do feel the low speed pressure wave on the ears on bumpy roads, but hwy speeds seem fine. I think this is inherent to the chassis and size of the cabin, blah blah blah... I can live with it.. I think wheel size is the best way to change one of these wrt ride quality. You can go '18  (or even 17?!?) for a softer ride and for off-road, 20 for jack of all trades, and 22 on up for a spine-shattering ride and possibly improved "feel" of control. From my experience with my JGC, if you go from 20's to 18's you will soften the ride considerably with little downside and more rubber to protect your wheels in winter etc.. I almost went with yoko G015's (20's) from the get go, but the conti's are decent... I actually liked the JGC ride, and the Yukon I have is nearly the same, possibly tighter, but the COG and size make it not quite as sporty feeling. Still pretty acceptable to me, and awesome on the hwy. Remember, the JGC basically has a Mercedes suspension and steering...

I think you can delete the MR if you want, and that would allow you to go Denali and get the 10 speed. I'm still impressed by the trans and engine. Probably not much different driving than the 8 which I only drove once shortly, but I am hoping it is bulletproof because of the heavy R and D by Ford and GM... I am a believer that any car can be a "good one" or bad one, my JGC was pretty middle of the road wrt issues for that car, which means it too was in the shop a fair amount (compared to my 3 series, corvette or wrx for example)... They will probably put the 10 speed in everything in the near future. I pulled the trigger on the '18 because my Jeep was getting up there in miles, and I was waiting for the upgrade in the Yukon's to the new tranny. I ordered one because almost none have second row bench on dealer lots.

===============================

Just traded my 2012 JGC hemi Overland for a 2018 Yukon Denali. A few thoughts...

I miss my Jeep already because:

Center console shifter (I would argue the 2011-12 shifter is the best of the WK2's I've seen, it was excellent (although I still don't like either vehicle over-rulling you and downshifting when in manual shift mode)
Better rear camera
steering wheel heats up on remote start
smaller and easier to maneuver in driveway / parking lots
Oil temp gauge (and easier to find vehicle info while driving)
less new-fangled bling on the info-distraction center (probably just because its older)
already miss the height adjustments when hitching towing stuff... But...

What I like about the Denali:
20's ordered, NOT 22's! FYI.
new car smell
WAY quicker and more powerful feeling (6sp vs 10sp for one reason)
seats are just better
no fake wood steering wheel (this is really not a big deal to me, but I've grown to think they're stupid and fadded out...)
actually stiffer suspension feel, but feels bigger
Smoother on hwy
third row
no sunroof to deal with
nicer center console and more room in general
I think we're talking 10-20% better MGP hwy in a bigger vehicle.
I actually didn't like the looks of the front end or the rear sides of the Yukon until I got one, now I like it a lot. The mid-grey color helps.
OEM Conti's are decent.

I don't like: how GM makes you have your headlights on auto every time you start vehicle. This will wear out headlights if you garage park. It's just plain stupid.
need to convert 7-pin trailer connection to 4 with adapter
No center or rear middle seat headrest?!?! That's not safe!!! Com'on man!
Heated steering wheel doesn't come on when you remote start car in cold... Really?... Really GM? Do any of you live in Detroit???
There is indeed a pressure issue at very low speeds as has been reported, but this does not bother me much so far. No one riding with me even notices, I just know it exists so I notice it.
Not a big fan of the HVAC system, but it works. 

I'm still getting used to my Denali, and over my JGC.. Both are great vehicles. I needed a bigger truck for my family so this was it. No Durango compares to the truck abilities of a Yukon, and frankly, I'm just not a Chrysler or Fiat guy.. No Fords either, and not a turbo fan.

The 10 speed tranny is really nice so far. And the stock exhaust with the 6.2 sounds way better than I thought it would, but is very quiet inside.

In my 2012 6sp hemi JGC, I just never really felt it was as quick as it should be. Of course it weighs like 5200#. The Yukon only weighs 400# more!

I couldn't think of a better long western USA road trip vehicle than a JGC... But I may have found one.

Anyway, I've still got my YJ ; )

Just my 2c

On 11/16/2017 at 9:17 AM, Martha18 said:

BTW, listen to Seamus, I always do on the corvette forum! Cheers!

Hey Martha!! LOL Nice observations on the Denali. It is far from perfect, but when you have a good one they are a do it all truck. I too hate the HVAC. It's so loud when on recirculate ! My new '17 is awesome so far and the 8 speed is great. (my '15 was terrible!) Just towed the Zo6 up to Va. to the track and it towed so nice I sometimes forgot I had the trailer behind me. This one seems to be a good one with over 5K on her so far. I knew I was missing out on that 10 Spd but got a very nice deal on the '17. 

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy !!

That is one awesome vehicle right there!!! A rocket ship on top of it. Enjoy, and don't ever go out of warranty during ownership! LOL I have owned several and am a big Benz fan. I miss my S550 everyday. It had to go when I made the Denali jump. Best of luck!!

• 1 month later...

Nice Benz, I had a 2012 Yukon Denali traded it in for a 2016 Supercharged Audi Q7 and loved it fast sleek and fun to drive. But I'm finally back where I need to be.

• 1 month later...

Archived