Just Bought New Truck and Miserable- I think I have the chevy shake

I purchased a 2017 crew cab LT short box (18 inch wheels and towing package) a week and a half ago and was so excited. Unfortunately on the way home the truck shook pretty bad on the highway around 75-80 mph. I thought it was the road and chalked it up to that. Over the past week though when I go over 65 the truck will shake 75% of the time. I didn't feel anything during test drive since I couldn't get it over 55. Sometimes the vibration is pretty bad. I took a chance buying the truck with all of the issues hoping I wouldn't have it. I love the way it looks, the size, ride height, etc. I bought a cover for the bed and nice running boards. I have the center console which was a huge selling point and it was a lot of work to find it in my area. I am beyond upset and at a loss. I spent a lot of money on the truck and traded in a good car for it. I don't have the patience to try and have them throw parts at it while the truck depreciates and nothing gets done. Does anyone know what my options are? Will the dealer offer to give me a replacement since it is under 30 days? Is there something I should have them check first before I make a decision on whether to keep it? I don't want to put up with this for years to come. I also am nervous about another one having the same issue. 

Very frustrated. Appreciate any advice.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a tire problem. Maybe even a tire balance problem. Just call your salesman and request a loaner; then return the truck for service before you get too nervous. They will fix it. 

The shake only happens on seemingly random trucks & is in the minority. It seems to be a tire and/or wheel balance issue. Thoroughly testing the tires and wheels that has solved the issue for people. You may have to go thru a bunch to get it fixed.

There must have been a bad batch of wheel and/or tires shipped to GM that is causing the issue.

The best thing you can do is go back to your dealer and have at 'er & get the issue solved. The truck is still under warranty. 

6 hours ago, ArizonaRich said:

I’m sorry man, looks like chevy is turning a blind eye to its customers with this shake issue. 

Im posting vids on you tube to get everyone involved in getting chevy to fix this problem. 

Heres the link. 

https://youtu.be/Zww6TzWDsL4

Good luck to you Arizona but your not the first to head down that road and those guys didn't get anywhere.

I'm going through this right now on my '17. The dealer has road forced the tires and the next step is the torque converter drain and flush. That's scheduled for this coming Monday. They have already told me that if that doesn't help they will replace the TC. 

Work with your dealer. The one I'm working with seems to be pretty good. 

It sounds like you have some serious "buyer's remorse".  Talk to your dealership in a calm, respectful manner and let them try to turn this around.  You may have something as simple as a thrown wheel weight.  You have a far better chance that your vibration is a simple fix than you do of it being a permanent flaw.

13 hours ago, caddyshackgolf18 said:

I purchased a 2017 crew cab LT short box (18 inch wheels and towing package) a week and a half ago and was so excited. Unfortunately on the way home the truck shook pretty bad on the highway around 75-80 mph. I thought it was the road and chalked it up to that. Over the past week though when I go over 65 the truck will shake 75% of the time. I didn't feel anything during test drive since I couldn't get it over 55. Sometimes the vibration is pretty bad. I took a chance buying the truck with all of the issues hoping I wouldn't have it. I love the way it looks, the size, ride height, etc. I bought a cover for the bed and nice running boards. I have the center console which was a huge selling point and it was a lot of work to find it in my area. I am beyond upset and at a loss. I spent a lot of money on the truck and traded in a good car for it. I don't have the patience to try and have them throw parts at it while the truck depreciates and nothing gets done. Does anyone know what my options are? Will the dealer offer to give me a replacement since it is under 30 days? Is there something I should have them check first before I make a decision on whether to keep it? I don't want to put up with this for years to come. I also am nervous about another one having the same issue. 

Very frustrated. Appreciate any advice.

Trade the tires for Michelin Premier LTX tires........  Very smooth tire with latest rain groove tech........  I love them..........

12 hours ago, ArizonaRich said:

I’m sorry man, looks like chevy is turning a blind eye to its customers with this shake issue. 

Im posting vids on you tube to get everyone involved in getting chevy to fix this problem. 

Heres the link. 

https://youtu.be/Zww6TzWDsL4

Really? They haven't even had a chance to look at the truck so how is Chevy turning a blind eye? Sucks you have an issue (you are in a very small minority) but spamming other threads won't help your cause.

OP, no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill, it has a warranty and comes with a loaner. Just take it in, you aren't going you be able to return it or lemon law or anything for a bit until they look at it. So just calm down, drop it off and see what they say. Better yet go for a ride with them and show them, many of times it is the tires (they can be bad or unbalanced from the factory) or another fix (though these trucks don't very often shake, it is just a few complainers trying to make it sound like some issues with half the trucks sold). I have yet to be in a GM truck that shakes (and I have been in a bunch of them from loaners to friends and co workers who all own them. 

Tyler

Archived