Just Bought New Truck and Miserable- I think I have the chevy shake

My used 2014 has the shake, my 2015 does not. GM will not do anything for you, max offer to road force balance or replace a tire, MAX. I would go in and freak out saying you wont accept it if you have less than 1,000 miles and try to complain your way into a new truck. My '14 truck has aftermarket tires and wheels, it is NOT a wheel/tire issue. It is a combination of poorly manufactured axles, out-of-spec driveshaft, and or torque converter/flywheel balance out of spec, all vibrating at the same time at a given frequency that causes the shake, mine does it about 75% of the time, sometimes being virtually unnoticeable other time unbearable to drive. You can buy aftermarket axles and get the driveshaft balanced, but you shouldn't have to go there is the problem. I would let them know that you are aware of the common fault and wont accept the violent shake as "normal". They may laugh in your face and tell you where to stick it, but if they value your business you may have a shot. I find it mystifying that GM didn't solve this issue in 2014 when it first came to light. You would think they would do anything to uphold their reputation after the bail-out, but they must not give a crap because people are buying the shakers anyway.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

GM will not do anything for you, max offer to road force balance or replace a tire, MAX. 

Except Parthery posted above that his dealer is willing to replace the torque converter if the other troubleshooting steps do not resolve it. And others have posted that rebalancing has fixed it for them. It does seem that different solutions apply to different vehicles and it all starts by going back to the dealer and beginning the troubleshooting process.

I had the shake when I bought my '14. I bought it used and figured that's why it was traded in. I bought a full set of new tires, and it continued. However, mysteriously, it gradually went away. I am completely mystified but beyond ecstatic because I REALLY didn't want to deal with that on my expensive new (to me) truck. When I did have the shake, it was TERRIBLE. And it really does only happen between 73-80mph. Weirdest thing. And new tires/balancing didn't immediately fix it, which was the other weird thing. I drove about 300 miles a day for work at that point so I was on the highway a lot, it was miserable. Hope it goes away for you too OP...

What I’ve noticed is that most folks have heard of the shake and think they have it but it’s just the nature of the truck. When I tested my truck all I could think about was the shake and thank gawd I didn’t feel anything but I’m so noid now that I ride with a half full bottle of water in my cup holder, lol. Granted I have the z71 which is really stiff, but overall my truck has normal road vibrations I think. The bottle of water has the constant subtle  ripples... now if the water looks like it’s boiling, you may have the shake. 

I dont really hear hear about GMC as much as Chevy tho ??‍♂️

My 14 Silverado has the shake from day 1. The dealer replaced all 4 tires but it didn’t fix it. Unfortunately, I use my truck for work and was on a job in Mexico for about 6 months. I kind of just told myself that I had to deal with it and never took it back. I replaced the tires with no effect. It still shook with 76k mi on it when I sold it two weeks ago.

i really hoping that the 17 Sierra I’m getting next week doesn’t do it. I’m flying out to get it from an out of state dealer.

10 hours ago, FIREBLADE74 said:

What I’ve noticed is that most folks have heard of the shake and think they have it but it’s just the nature of the truck. When I tested my truck all I could think about was the shake and thank gawd I didn’t feel anything but I’m so noid now that I ride with a half full bottle of water in my cup holder, lol. Granted I have the z71 which is really stiff, but overall my truck has normal road vibrations I think. The bottle of water has the constant subtle  ripples... now if the water looks like it’s boiling, you may have the shake. 

I dont really hear hear about GMC as much as Chevy tho ??‍♂️

I you have to use a water bottle to decide if your truck has the shakes, yours does not

Shaking water eh? My '14 WT will throw coffee all over the interior mercilessly. I literally have to put my coffee in a Contigo-brand sealed mug to avoid this.  I love my '15 a lot, but I hate this '14 more than any vehicle I have ever driven and the shake is just the start of its issues. I am scared the wheels are coming off when I go above 70mph. If anyone else could put together a motor half as good as Chevy, I wouldn't be driving this seismograph GM calls a pick-up truck. 

47 minutes ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

Shaking water eh? My '14 WT will throw coffee all over the interior mercilessly. I literally have to put my coffee in a Contigo-brand sealed mug to avoid this.  I love my '15 a lot, but I hate this '14 more than any vehicle I have ever driven and the shake is just the start of its issues. I am scared the wheels are coming off when I go above 70mph. If anyone else could put together a motor half as good as Chevy, I wouldn't be driving this seismograph GM calls a pick-up truck. 

Lol! Not laughing at your situation but how you phrased the coffee’s behavior. Yeah you have something serious going on. Sorry bro. 

On 10/12/2017 at 5:36 AM, 3beejay3 said:

The shake only happens on seemingly random trucks & is in the minority. It seems to be a tire and/or wheel balance issue. Thoroughly testing the tires and wheels that has solved the issue for people. You may have to go thru a bunch to get it fixed.

There must have been a bad batch of wheel and/or tires shipped to GM that is causing the issue.

The best thing you can do is go back to your dealer and have at 'er & get the issue solved. The truck is still under warranty. 

The shake only happens on seemingly random trucks and the OP is in the minority, huh? 

So THAT explains the 770+ page pinned "CHEVY SHAKE" thread posted in the K2 Issues/TSBs/Recalls Forum on this website!

On 10/12/2017 at 1:08 PM, cbrsilv15 said:

I had the shake on my truck. I didn’t know about this forum or the shaking problems. Luckily it was just the tires being out of balance for me. I got lucky. 

I am glad you got your truck fixed; you are one of the fortunate ones. 

But what you said raises a serious question. 

Quality tires, properly balanced when mounted at the vehicle factory, should not need rebalancing for the life of the tire.  For a tire to shake the whole vehicle, it would indicate that a wheel or tire is damaged, the tire has problems with its internal structure coming apart, or the tire has horribly uneven treadwear.   

So are these bad tires or bad wheels or bad balancing jobs, or all of the above, being installed at the GM factories by the thousands??

On 10/13/2017 at 4:16 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

The shake only happens on seemingly random trucks and the OP is in the minority, huh? 

So THAT explains the 770+ page pinned "CHEVY SHAKE" thread posted in the K2 Issues/TSBs/Recalls Forum on this website!

There have been several million of these trucks built since late 2013. A small percentage of them have had issues. Let's say that 5% have issues, just for arguments sake. That's over 150,000 trucks and is waaaaay more than enough to get long discussion threads going on websites such as this. 10% would be over 300,000 trucks.

Lot's of individuals, however, that is still unquestionably in the minority

I have a 2017 that doesn't shake. I know of a whole bunch of others with the K2xx's that don't shake. Many, many K2xx owners have reported on here that their trucks don't shake.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

Quite a few of the posts on that thread are from guys offering solutions, and defending the trucks. Mine is buttery smooth, as are all 7 of my friends that own various 2014-2017 K2XX half tons.

On 10/13/2017 at 4:28 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

I am glad you got your truck fixed; you are one of the fortunate ones. 

But what you said raises a serious question. 

Quality tires, properly balanced when mounted at the vehicle factory, should not need rebalancing for the life of the tire.  For a tire to shake the whole vehicle, it would indicate that a wheel or tire is damaged, the tire has problems with its internal structure coming apart, or the tire has horribly uneven treadwear.   

So are these bad tires or bad wheels or bad balancing jobs, or all of the above, being installed at the GM factories by the thousands??

It was fine after they road force balanced them. Who knows, maybe a wheel weight came off and I didn’t know. It had 35k on it when I got it. I wasn’t about to trouble shoot it, that was left to the dealership. 

Archived