Just Bought New Truck and Miserable- I think I have the chevy shake

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, lloydsmale said:

all ill tell you is to stand your ground. Mine 2017 shook from day 1. Brand new I had the dealership put a set of bfg k02 at's on it. At first they blamed them on being 10ply tires. I didn't except that excuse. They balanced them conventionaly twice still shaking then they tried road force balancing them two more times. Still shook. Dropped it off at the dealership and took a loner and said I wouldn't pick my truck up till it was right. So they said they would pull of the bfg;s and put on a set of take offs from another z71. called me again and said it was fixed and my wife went and picked it up and even she could still feel vibrations. told her to leave it there and take the loner home. they called me about a week later and said they think they've got it fixed. What they did was pull a full set of wheels and tires off another new truck on the lot. I have to say its smooth now (at least up to 80mph, I haven't drove it faster) I had contacted gm directly and complained about this hastle I was put through. For my troubles they buffed out and detailed my truck, filled the gas tank, changed the oil and gave me a 4 year 60k warrantee instead of the 3/36. Still think I'm going to look at a ram next time. Just the fact that Gm wont step up and admit theres a problem (worse then mine with many) with these trucks.

I have a suspicion that much of the shake may be related to the wheels themselves. There may have been a bad run of wheels from a supplier. It would be interesting to see if there's a common wheel size and or rim style in all the complaints.

I have the 17" standard Aluminum 6 spoke wheels on my Sierra. No shake issues.

PS Ram also has a documented shake problem, but it's a lot worse than what the GM twins are having. With them, it's a suspension/steering issue & you have to stop the truck when the shake starts, else it gets like a paint shaker.

10 minutes ago, 3beejay3 said:

PS Ram also has a documented shake problem, but it's a lot worse than what the GM twins are having. With them, it's a suspension/steering issue & you have to stop the truck when the shake starts, else it gets like a paint shaker.

Chrysler products(RAM and JEEP) vehicles have suffered from a nasty "death wobble" for decades. It occurs when the axle drives over a surface such as a bridge joint that is at an angle. The shake is so violent, that it feels as if the axle will fall off the vehicle. It happened several times to my 1999 Cherokee.

On 10/19/2017 at 10:01 AM, 3beejay3 said:

I have a suspicion that much of the shake may be related to the wheels themselves. There may have been a bad run of wheels from a supplier. It would be interesting to see if there's a common wheel size and or rim style in all the complaints.

I have the 17" standard Aluminum 6 spoke wheels on my Sierra. No shake issues.

Unlikey. When you add wheel weights on you balance the wheel and tire together. You would notice immediately on the machine that the package was screwed up and out of spec.

The only possibility of that happening is if the lug holes weren’t centered on the wheel. The balance machine does not center it based on the lug holes. 

Unlikey. When you add wheel weights on you balance the wheel and tire together. You would notice immediately on the machine that the package was screwed up and out of spec.

The only possibility of that happening is if the lug holes weren’t centered on the wheel. The balance machine does not center it based on the lug holes. 
But the wheel still is hub-centric on the axle flange...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The shake is so violent, that it feels as if the axle will fall off the vehicle. It happened several times to my 1999 Cherokee.

Lots have happened since 1999

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, arkenzo said:

Lots have happened since 1999

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for the wisdom..

The basic design of the front suspension that was first used on the Cherokee was used by RAM for years. It has an inherent design flaw, which is worsened by wear, or larger than stock tires. If you have experienced it, it is downright dangerous.

Wow, thanks for the wisdom..

The basic design of the front suspension that was first used on the Cherokee was used by RAM for years. It has an inherent design flaw, which is worsened by wear, or larger than stock tires. If you have experienced it, it is downright dangerous.
Death wobble...I know that animal all too well. Once it starts, you have to come to a complete stop to make it stop...try that at 70mph in the left lane during rush hour!

They can keep that coil-sprung SFA!

The first time it happened, I almost lost control of the vehicle at 70 mph. It took a few weeks to figure out which part was suspect before the shake was gone.
I had it happen in my 2004.5 2500 Dodge Ram...replaced everything, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering gear, even the stabilizer and track bar...those AAM 9.25 axles suck because you cannot put preload in the ball joints...even new joints have play in them.

My 94 1500 Ram was worse...that inverted Y steering was notorious for bump steer, and that would throw it into a death wobble.

17 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Yes, the balance machine is supposed to catch all that, but it doesn't seem to be. There appears to be a significant number of trucks having this issue. ( not the majority of trucks, but a noticeable percentage, for sure)

It actually isn't completely unlikely for the wheels to be the issue & and at this point none of us know for certain exactly what the issue is, except that it is probably related to the wheels/tires(in most cases). So far, it seems that most people with shake issues have only had it fixed by changing out both wheels and tires, or in some cases, just tires. 

Perhaps one of the wheel size/designs allows things to more easily get out of round, or get bent & start wobbling from side to side once in service?

If it turns out that all of this is related to a specific wheel size and design, then it could be a wheel issue.....

At this point we just don't know.

It is not the tires. A bad tire may amplify the shake, but it is not the cause of it. The used 14 I bought had new aftermarket 17" wheels and new A/T tires and it still shakes. Thinking it was tires and/or the rims, I put some polished 18's and highway tires I still had in my shop from my old 2010. Same thing, random shake occurring from 65mph and up, sometimes isn't even noticeable. Almost like all the bent parts (axle face, driveshaft, bad torque converter) have to be rotating in the right position to cause the vibration to appear at a certain frequency, if I take a sharp corner or change road surfaces, sometimes it will disappear temporarily. There is no one culprit to this problem, it is a combination of poor quality control on the machining of certain parts that all are slightly out of spec, coupled with aerodynamic effects that creates the vibration at a given frequency. IMO anyway, I am not an engineer but I have torn out enough hair trying to figure this out. 

Archived