2014 and newer Mechanical Fuel Pump

So my pre Owned GM Certified 2014 goes out of warranty in next couple of weeks.  How many issues with the mechanical fuel pump and failures?  I did a Search and nothing came up, which means no issues or I screwed up the search terms.

I did a little research on the whole system and it looks like  GM outsourced the design and mfg to another company. The high pressure pump sets under the intake manifold and seems to use the same hole the distributer shaft used. Looks to be a SOB to change out.

• 4 weeks later...
I did a little research on the whole system and it looks like  GM outsourced the design and mfg to another company. The high pressure pump sets under the intake manifold and seems to use the same hole the distributer shaft used. Looks to be a SOB to change out.
The direct injec

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I know I am joining this thread over a year later, but just had mine done today and it was $775. It was throwing a P0172 & P0175 code (System Too Rich), the thing that should concerning to anyone getting this code is that you could be getting fuel in your crankcase like mine was and anyone on this forum knows that is Not a good situation!   

The distributer hole that has not been included since 1997? The ls1 and up have no distributor “hole”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is driven off of the camshaft, I'm old school, what was wrong with an external fuel pump like the muscle car era, if they leaked you didn't have to worry about fuel getting in the crankcase, it just dripped on the ground.

Edited by pumpr64

1 hour ago, pumpr64 said:

It is driven off of the camshaft, I'm old school, what was wrong with an external fuel pump like the muscle car era, if they leaked you didn't have to worry about fuel getting in the crankcase, it just dripped on the ground.

Because the old school mechanical pumps were low pressure pumps.  The HPFP is doing 2200psi while a carb needs 8psi.  Does more really need said?

• Like 1