Finally found a way to get playlists to MyLink on flash drive

I've been looking for a manageable way to get my playlists and songs from iTunes to a flash drive to play in Mylink (2017 LTZ). I've seen a few solutions out there that mostly revolve around editing the playlists files, but those are not practical for me as I can't copy over my entire music file to a flash drive.

My solution involves an Android phone or tablet (sorry iPhone users).

Items needed:

• Android phone or tablet
  • Synctunes app from Play Store (paid version)
  • PC
  • Flash drive

Synctunes is an app I found to get my iTunes songs and playlists over to my Android phone easily. I like iTunes for album and playlist management. The app has two components - one on the PC, one on the phone. On the PC, it connects to iTunes and reads the playlists. You choose the playlists you want to send to your phone and when you connect your phone, Synctunes will send over the playlists and the songs while maintaining the file structure of the songs (i.e. Artist>Album>Song). This makes it easy for me to play my iTunes playlists on my Android phone with the phone's built in music player. I copied over about 15 playlists and 2500 songs.

I then physically connect the phone to the PC with a USB cable and copy the songs to the PC. You can copy straight to the flash drive from the phone but it will likely be a longer process than copying from phone to PC, then PC to flash drive. In Synctunes, you can state whether you store music with the internal storage or external, if you have it. The actual location is not intuitive, so look at the storage address in the phone app. 

So I navigate the folders in the phone and copy all of the folders into a temp folder on the PC. I then put the flash drive into the PC and copy over the contents of the temp folder to the flash drive. At the root (top) level of the flash drive you should see your playlist files and your Artists folders. You should not have a "Music" or other similar top level folder.

I put the flash drive in my truck and it took about 3-4 minutes for Mylink to read the file structure, but it's all there. All of my playlists and dozens of artist folders with hundreds of subfolders. I'm sure people have other solutions but this one worked well for me.

Archived