In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
2010LTZ4x4

Why is this happening!!

The paint on the driver side door is blistering in a small area. It started about 2 months ago with 1 blister and has gotten to the point you see in the pic that I took a couple of days ago. The truck has never been repainted I'm the original owner. Any idea what maybe going on?   There's no rust on the inner door panel either. 

IMG_20171016_161851_hdr.jpg

• Sad 1

its looking a lot like holes on the way there 

Sorry to say it, but that's rust. 

I'm getting some bubbling on the painted bumper of my '09 Denali.  Only way I'm going to be able to stop it is to replace the bumper.

Edited by intheburbs
  • Like 1

Rust!   That sucks! How does rust start in the middle of the door where there is no paint damage.  I guess the steel in the door must be rusting below the paint?  That's some good quality steel there. 

• Confused 1

Just a supposition - bad weatherstripping around the window allows rain water to get inside the door, maybe the drain holes are plugged, water stands inside the door causing rust.

• Thanks 1

I have the same but on my rear wheel wells. How do I stop them from growing/spreading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, kevin79 said:

I have the same but on my rear wheel wells. How do I stop them from growing/spreading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before it starts. There are uncountable places for water/salt to enter from the inside if your not diligent about keeping things clean, sealed and surfaces coated. From the outside rock chips left unrepaired and paint left unprotected. Manufactures have made an art out of compromising the integrity of the raw metal. 

image.thumb.jpeg.54482cab5200658e3f4577466757421c.jpeg

Last spring I noticed some bubbles under the paint on the rear driver door on my 2010 Silverado, tiny rust holes from the inside working their way out. Metal was so weak that a prick easily pushed though.

• Confused 1

HOLY CRAP was that covered under the rust/body warranty?

19 hours ago, demech23 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.54482cab5200658e3f4577466757421c.jpeg

Last spring I noticed some bubbles under the paint on the rear driver door on my 2010 Silverado, tiny rust holes from the inside working their way out. Metal was so weak that a prick easily pushed though.

Holy Crap is right. Same year and color of my truck.   I hope mine doesn't get that bad. But who knows, I have noticed some more bubbles show up since I posted the first pic.   I think I'll take the door panel off and see what's going on from the inside. Been to the dealer and no help.  

• Sad 1