2018 serpentine belt idler

Well, he's right and wrong.  The main serpentine drive belt (alternator, crank, water pump) has a traditional tensioner on it.

The AC compressor is on its own "stretch belt", thus using no belt tensioner.  GM did this back in 2011 or so for the compressor.

The vacuum pump is on its own "stretch belt" as well.

The three belt system is 2014+up 4.3, 5.3 and 6.2.   

I was not aware of a stretch belt.  From reading around here a little bit,  it doesn't seem like that big a deal.  He is always looking to shoot down GM products.   Funny thing is he used to be a GM guy, bad mouthing Ford.  Its all good.  They all have their strengths and weaknesses.  

I am glad they stuck with a tensioner for the main belt.  When I change a belt at around 100k, I also change tensioner and idlers. 

Thanks for the reply.  I learned something and will share this with my co-worker.

1 hour ago, Greg Offenback said:

I was not aware of a stretch belt.  From reading around here a little bit,  it doesn't seem like that big a deal.  He is always looking to shoot down GM products.   Funny thing is he used to be a GM guy, bad mouthing Ford.  Its all good.  They all have their strengths and weaknesses.  

I am glad they stuck with a tensioner for the main belt.  When I change a belt at around 100k, I also change tensioner and idlers. 

Thanks for the reply.  I learned something and will share this with my co-worker.

I work with an idiot like that, loved gm trucks but now has a ford and it's the best truck ever. Funny thing is,he is the only ford truck in parking lot and it's surrounded by gm trucks. So yeah we ride him pretty hard.lol

One thing to keep in mind (at least on the 6.0l) is that the primary belt still has an easy to change belt with a tensioner...that's the belt need to get you home. The AC is conveniece, not necessity, so it the compressor locks up, simple to cut that belt and drive home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived