Fluid Film Question

Been hearing a lot of positive things about fluid film and thinking about giving underneath a good coat before the salt starts to come out.  Been reading the other posts about how to keep it off the wax frame,  but what else should be avoided (plastics, rubber,  electrical components, etc..) or is it safe to just give a liberal coating on everything other than the frame?  Also thinking of removing the plugs on the rocker panels and getting a good coat up as far as it will reach.  Interested to hear thoughts on what should and shouldn't' be coated. 

I have used this stuff for 4 years now. It works as advertised. It will soften the wax frame coating, so avoid spraying on it. It degrades rubber parts, so don't spray on brake hoses, body mount biscuits, and suspension bushings. Otherwise, spray away!

• Like 1

It works great to keep my plow from rusting over summer. I do not spray it on my whole truck frame though. I do coat the plow attachment brackets below the front bumper. It works great on steel surfaces, but I would try to keep it off of other materials.

Been using it for 10 years on our families Jeep Wranglers. Works very well. Frames, drive shafts all look brand new and no rust anywhere even with the nasty brine they put down on our roads in the winter.

the only things not to spray are the brakes and exhaust. It will not harm rubber! 

11 minutes ago, Biggusblockus said:

It will not harm rubber! 

Not per the Fluid Film site!

Will FLUID FILM adversely affect plastic or rubber?

FLUID FILM has no adverse effects on plastics. Caution should be used around non oil-resistant rubber goods. May cause swelling.

http://www.fluid-film.com/frequently-asked-questions/

I tried using fluid film a few years ago on my last truck, but I found it won't stay on in any place that gets exposed to any significant amount of water spray/splash. I used a schutz gun to apply it and got it on reasonably thick. It does thicken up after application & I did let it set for a day or two. However, it was ultimately no match for road and driving conditions here in Ontario. 

After a month or two of winter up here, the FF was completely cleaned off many sections of the frame and undercarriage. It just doesn't have enough resiliance.

I think it would be fine on any body section that isn't directly exposed to water spray/splash; ie inside rockers, inside tailgate, inner fenders etc.

• Like 1

I had fluid film sprayed and found the same thing...any place that gets road spray it washed off after a while. The heavy bodies stuff lasts longer than the thinner stuff, but it does eventually wash off, but so does oil (which is what I use). The trick is to find a dusty dirt road after you get it done, the dust sticks to the film/oil and gives it body which better resists being washed off.

I'm torn to say use it in body panels...they spray the heavy bodied fluid film in my doors when I had it done and it plugged the drain holes (rear passenger door filled with water). The thin stuff might be better in this instance...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, 3beejay3 said:

I tried using fluid film a few years ago on my last truck, but I found it won't stay on in any place that gets exposed to any significant amount of water spray/splash. I used a schutz gun to apply it and got it on reasonably thick. It does thicken up after application & I did let it set for a day or two. However, it was ultimately no match for road and driving conditions here in Ontario. 

After a month or two of winter up here, the FF was completely cleaned off many sections of the frame and undercarriage. It just doesn't have enough resiliance.

I think it would be fine on any body section that isn't directly exposed to water spray/splash; ie inside rockers, inside tailgate, inner fenders etc.

You are correct. The Fluid film is just a very thick liquid. If you have slush spraying on it at highway speeds it WILL wear off. If a person wants to completely prevent rust with fluid film, it would need to be reapplied every month or 2.

Its very popular in the snow removal world because our equipment sits untouched for 6 months. My film layer looks like when I first sprayed it on last spring. But on something get gets used daily, it will not last even close to 6 months.

While I have not applied FF to fenderwells where high velocity splash regularly occurs, all of the undercarriage parts I sprayed have stayed protected. I resprayed my '13 every spring, and the undercarriage appeared as new after 4 harsh, salty winters.

You are correct. The Fluid film is just a very thick liquid. If you have slush spraying on it at highway speeds it WILL wear off. If a person wants to completely prevent rust with fluid film, it would need to be reapplied every month or 2.

Its very popular in the snow removal world because our equipment sits untouched for 6 months. My film layer looks like when I first sprayed it on last spring. But on something get gets used daily, it will not last even close to 6 months.
Fluid film is available in various "bodies". The heavy bodied stuff (which was sprayed on my truck) was almost paste-like. And requires special equipment to apply. The thin stuff is like water (I have gallon containers of that at home) and could be sprayed with a paint gun in a pinch.

4 minutes ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

While I have not applied FF to fenderwells where high velocity splash regularly occurs, all of the undercarriage parts I sprayed have stayed protected. I resprayed my '13 every spring, and the undercarriage appeared as new after 4 harsh, salty winters.

It may also be related to the amount of miles a person drives. My last truck put on a fair bit of miles each year, including winter. The FF I used back then just didn't hold up in many areas of the chassis/frame.

The version I used was roughly the consistency of pancake batter before application. It then thickened up a bit into a more waxy type consistency. Still wasn't tough enough........

Edited by 3beejay3

3 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Fluid film is available in various "bodies". The heavy bodied stuff (which was sprayed on my truck) was almost paste-like. And requires special equipment to apply. The thin stuff is like water (I have gallon containers of that at home) and could be sprayed with a paint gun in a pinch.

I didn't know there was a "thicker" version. I use the regular red cans, I just use one spray can on my plow every year.

https://www.amazon.com/As11-Fluid-Film-11-75oz-Spray/dp/B00PWZ0XNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508422277&sr=8-1&keywords=fluid+film+spray

• Like 1

I didn't know there was a "thicker" version. I use the regular red cans, I just use one spray can on my plow every year.

https://www.amazon.com/As11-Fluid-Film-11-75oz-Spray/dp/B00PWZ0XNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508422277&sr=8-1&keywords=fluid+film+spray

http://www.fluid-film.com/products/