Largest tire that fits a 2018 3500 duramax

On 1/6/2019 at 12:39 PM, gearheadesw said:

I would say with the stock keys cranked up, maybe some shock extenders, and yes, I think you'll fit them.

OK.  so the plot thickens.  I was up at Discount Tire Today to have them fix a puncture.  And of course, I start talking to them about bumping up.  The guy gives me an amazing quote including certificates, but he doesnt have the MT Baja MTZ P3.  I tell him if he mounts a different brand 295/70/18 and they fit, I'll order the MT's.  He put a 295/70/18 Nitto N/T on and that sucker fit like a glove.  I had 1/2" clearance at least at full lock.  So the MT's are ordered.  Im blessed with a very cool wife.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok there’s a lot of great info here, just want to be clear. I just bought a 2019 Denali 3500HD.

there leveling it tomorrow, I’m wondering what the biggest tire I can put on a 20” fuel assault rim. I was thinking 35/12.50/20

is this do able without major trimming?

any suggestions would be great! Thanks 

oh, and what does “cranked keys” mean lol. Should I be doing this ? Haha

Edited by Jay7171
Added question

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 2019 Silverrado 3500 HD SRW. I haul an Arctic Fox 990, 4320 pounds dry. I am using Michelin Defender LT295-70-18 Load Range 129 , each tire is good for 4080 pounds each. 

I have added an additional leaf spring to the main spring packs, TorqLift Stable Lifts, wireless airbags. 

The tires fit perfect with no sidewall flex. My truck with the camper on, is higher in the back than the front!!!!

3 hours ago, chrisb1 said:

I have a 2019 Silverrado 3500 HD SRW. I haul an Arctic Fox 990, 4320 pounds dry. I am using Michelin Defender LT295-70-18 Load Range 129 , each tire is good for 4080 pounds each. 

I have added an additional leaf spring to the main spring packs, TorqLift Stable Lifts, wireless airbags. 

The tires fit perfect with no sidewall flex. My truck with the camper on, is higher in the back than the front!!!!

I have the same size on my '17 3500 SRW.  I got the MT MTZ P3.  Also load range 129, E1. Fits like a glove.  I understand that lift can be helpful, but I see guys spending big money to fit 35x12.5.  They are gaining 1/2" of circumference and 1/2" of width.  I don't quite get that.  Most stock trucks wont fir 295/70/18.  I think maybe the newer 1500 wont.  but if you have a 3500 (maybe 2500 also?), spending money on a lift, rims, etc, isnt necessary to run a tire that is almost identical to a 35x12.5.  The 295/70/18 is also a good choice because it carries a heavier load. It's the largest tire that is rated load E1.  305's and 35x12.5 are E2, AKA load D.  

You got a good source on those Stable loads?  Any tips on that?

Edited by EZTundra77

• 2 weeks later...

Read through this and about a bazillion other posts, thus if I missed it, my apologies.  '19 3500HD SRW.  Plan on keeping stock wheels.  I'm looking at Dtracs in 275/70R18 and 285/75R18.  The latter has a higher weight rating, which is what I'm after (big, heavy camper).  I'll likely go with the Congnito 2-3" leveling package with this pickup.  The Norcal site says 33" is about right with that kit.  That seems rather conservative as stock tire is 32.6" if I recall.  The 285 listed above is 35", so that is a jump.  Anyone managed a 285/75R18 tire with a 2-3" leveling kit (no rubbing, no trimming)?  Looks like I would have zero problems with the 275/70R18 tires, but I would lose approx 400# cap per tire.  Thanks!!

1 hour ago, deminimis said:

Read through this and about a bazillion other posts, thus if I missed it, my apologies.  '19 3500HD SRW.  Plan on keeping stock wheels.  I'm looking at Dtracs in 275/70R18 and 285/75R18.  The latter has a higher weight rating, which is what I'm after (big, heavy camper).  I'll likely go with the Congnito 2-3" leveling package with this pickup.  The Norcal site says 33" is about right with that kit.  That seems rather conservative as stock tire is 32.6" if I recall.  The 285 listed above is 35", so that is a jump.  Anyone managed a 285/75R18 tire with a 2-3" leveling kit (no rubbing, no trimming)?  Looks like I would have zero problems with the 275/70R18 tires, but I would lose approx 400# cap per tire.  Thanks!!

285/75/18 or 295/70/18 will fit on the stock wheels with a leveling kit, and offer the added weight capacity you're after. It looks like a true 35x12.50 will also fit on the stock 18's with a level, but those have a lower weight capacity. The 275/70 you're also considering will look too small with a level, IMO. 

3 hours ago, deminimis said:

295/70/18 fit on my ‘17 3500 SRW BONE STOCK.   No trim. No rub.   I did already remove the lower valance but I don’t think that would’ve touched anyways.  You’ll have to disregard a lot of the posts on this site, because they are talking about 1500s. Our 3500s  sit higher. My Mickey T MTZ P3 Measure at 34.5 x 12. It looked great, fit on the stock rims, and retain OEM geometry. 

• Like 1

I see a lot of guys spending good money on lifts/levels to run 33x12.5 on their 1500. I think the extra money was well spent on a 3500 vs saving money on a half ton and modding suspension later. No offense to my 1/2 ton brethren. I was very surprised that a 34.5x12 would fit on a bone stock 3500. 

1 hour ago, EZTundra77 said:

295/70/18 fit on my ‘17 3500 SRW BONE STOCK.   No trim. No rub.   I did already remove the lower valance but I don’t think that would’ve touched anyways.  You’ll have to disregard a lot of the posts on this site, because they are talking about 1500s. Our 3500s  sit higher. My Mickey T MTZ P3 Measure at 34.5 x 12. It looked great, fit on the stock rims, and retain OEM geometry. 

Good info.  Thanks.  I will level for a few reasons.  We do travel Baja and I have found, in the past, that beefing up the front of a GM is not a bad thing (remember the valet scene in Ferris Buller's Day Off?  Imagine that with a NBS 3500HD dually and 10.5 Bigfoot camper).  I do not care about big meats in the least.  I'm more about capacity in a Duratrac ( don't get me started on 19.5s.  had those on two rigs and hated them) and snow and airing down in Baja.  The Dtrac 285/75R18 has a cap just over 4K.  That will do me just fine.  I am all about the Dtracs.  Glad the consensus is they will fit.  Thank you all again!

4 hours ago, deminimis said:

Good info.  Thanks.  I will level for a few reasons.  We do travel Baja and I have found, in the past, that beefing up the front of a GM is not a bad thing (remember the valet scene in Ferris Buller's Day Off?  Imagine that with a NBS 3500HD dually and 10.5 Bigfoot camper).  I do not care about big meats in the least.  I'm more about capacity in a Duratrac ( don't get me started on 19.5s.  had those on two rigs and hated them) and snow and airing down in Baja.  The Dtrac 285/75R18 has a cap just over 4K.  That will do me just fine.  I am all about the Dtracs.  Glad the consensus is they will fit.  Thank you all again!

I’m with you.  I chose to stay under 295 because any wider and you drop load range E2 (essentially load D). All 305’s/12.5 and wider are E2. The MTZ P3 are 129 index and 4080 lbs at 80 PSI.  Just where I want for towing. 

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...