2014 Sierra SLE

jahn

I see so many comments and recommendation on towing guidelines everywhere.......on a different forum I was told my 2014 Sierra SLE could only tow 4000 lbs. I've got a 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, Rear Axle, 3.42 Ratio, Monotube Rancho Shocks, 18" Wheels with the Z71 - Off Road Suspension Package......so I'm confused when I see ratings that an aluminum body Ford F-150 with a V-6 can tow 12,000 lbs. Can anyone that has towing experience give me some advice as to what I can safely tow with this truck??? Appreciate any reply from members. Thanks.

4 hours ago, jahn said:

I see so many comments and recommendation on towing guidelines everywhere.......on a different forum I was told my 2014 Sierra SLE could only tow 4000 lbs. I've got a 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, Rear Axle, 3.42 Ratio, Monotube Rancho Shocks, 18" Wheels with the Z71 - Off Road Suspension Package......so I'm confused when I see ratings that an aluminum body Ford F-150 with a V-6 can tow 12,000 lbs. Can anyone that has towing experience give me some advice as to what I can safely tow with this truck??? Appreciate any reply from members. Thanks.

Your manual will tell you the towing capabilities of your truck.  It will be around the 9,000 lb range depending on the configuration of your truck.  

You can configure a GM for 12,000 too, but yours isn't going to have that rating.

Tow ratings are more than just the HP/torque rating.

You can get a bunch of good reading here:

http://www.chevrolet.com/truck-life/trailering-and-towing-guide#

The guides will give you a good start at the ratings discussion.

As posted above, your owners manual will list the ratings for your truck - cab, box, diff all affect rating.  The max tow option ( NHT option code) includes a rear end ratio better for towing, but also gives more suspension capacity and more cooling capacity and the towing mirrors. 

Truck can have both a hitch and trailering wiring without having the higher capacity towing goodies.  Lots tow relatively light trailers/loads and need the hitch and wiring but not the 'max tow' enhancements. 

My truck with a 4.3 is rated to pull 7,000 lbs. which makes me set my sights on a 4,000 lb. trailer.   This way,  I will  remain in a comfortable margin with a fully loaded truck and trailer.  I'm curious to hear from those pulling such a weight with their 4.3.  I imagine mpg must get hit pretty hard.

On 10/30/2017 at 9:00 AM, Donstar said:

My truck with a 4.3 is rated to pull 7,000 lbs. which makes me set my sights on a 4,000 lb. trailer.   This way,  I will  remain in a comfortable margin with a fully loaded truck and trailer.  I'm curious to hear from those pulling such a weight with their 4.3.  I imagine mpg must get hit pretty hard.

It is aerodynamics that have the biggest hit in MPG.  Weight does have a negative effect, but it is how much frontal area of what you are pulling that can really drag the MPG down, and of course, wind and terrain.  And pickup trucks pulling trailers is about as un-aerodynamic as it gets most of the time.  All one can do is get as low profile with as much aerodynamic front of the trailer as possible.

1 hour ago, Cowpie said:

It is aerodynamics that have the biggest hit in MPG.  Weight does have a negative effect, but it is how much frontal area of what you are pulling that can really drag the MPG down, and of course, wind and terrain.  And pickup trucks pulling trailers is about as un-aerodynamic as it gets most of the time.  All one can do is get as low profile with as much aerodynamic front of the trailer as possible.

It seems most manufacturers are now trying to add a curved nose to help reduce resistance. Manufacturers usually incorporate this aerodynamic feature into the design with the main bed up front.    Some manufacturers also offer narrower and lower trailers to reduce drag.  The trade-off for aerodynamics is sacrificed interior space.  Compensating by increased length is not a always a viable option for those with limited parking or frequent ferry travel.  I wonder why we don't see more V nosed travel trailers.

True, the builders are doing more.  Airstream is about the only one who covers all the bases well.  Rounded off nose, rear, and sides.  Like a boat tail bullet.  Big square back ends create a lot of drag.

4000 lbs? Sounds like you were given an extremely conservative opinion versus an actual rating.

Also, said V-6 by Ferd is twin-turbocharged and makes more power than their Coyote V-8. I would also imagine towing a 12k trailer with a sub-5500 lb truck is going to be like the tail wagging the dog.

Lots of trucks pull more than their weight. There’s ways to handle that, my favorite is a fifth wheel. We’d have funny looking trucks if they had to be bigger- heavier than their trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived