I want to apologize in advance for the length of this... I just need to point out the details. It’s time GM does something for us who own 2014-2015 models, trucks I’ve dubbed "the engineering guinea pigs" thanks to personal experience and the myriad of complaints in this forum.

Good day to all of you. I’m presenting you an issue that is causing more concern to my safety in my truck than holding a gun to my head. Starting this off by stating I made the grand mistake of taking my truck in to get the steering update instead of checking ground connections myself. Doing this update bit me in the ass within a week of getting my truck back. Let’s just say that after I received my truck from the dealership in far beyond worse condition than I sent it in with, I’m getting consistent and far worse problems after updating. My truck shut off on me completely, losing control of steering and everything, while approaching a red light at about 45 MPH...with my younger brothers in the truck. I took it to the same dealership that same day, and they weren’t able to do anything. I was beyond frustrated. I’ve never had any vibration at any speed until my service. Now I’m getting vibration at 70mph. When I lightly press the brake, I’m hearing a rotational sound coming from my left front wheel, my mechanic says it’s the bearing but with our trucks having sealed bearings, I’m going to be looking at an $800 hub assembly. Just this Saturday, I made a 45 minute drive up to Ft. Lauderdale and as I arrived, I noticed my engine was producing a sound almost like a lifter noise, even though the dealership serviced my lifters(or one specific lifter, not clear at the moment as to what it was). When I got back in my truck after a few hours, I had no lifter noise...WTF? This is getting out of hand.

Here's the part that has me worried: ever since my update, my volt meter is below the half mark all the time (never happened beforehand) and I noticed that my headlights flicker and dim, along with my dash lights sometimes. When I press my brake and use my turn signals, the lights dim significantly and brighten back up but flicker. With my turn signal, my headlight dims when I engage it and as it blinks, my headlights dim and brighten with the blinks. Just the other day as I was backing up out of my buddy's house, my backup camera froze and I got a "service rear camera" message on the display. I’m so confused, how does an update manage to mess up my truck? I'm beyond pissed. The only good this update did was actually improve the shifting slightly, even though I’m still having that infamous 1st to 2nd rough shift. Other than that, this update makes me want to tell GM to F-off and move onto ford or something. Yes, I’m that serious. I’ve been a Chevy person all my life, the majority of my family owns Chevy's... this is just getting out of control. I've searched up all these forums about this and haven’t found too much. Already have links saved and screenshots of individual posts about all this, but I need more insight.

Did I make the mistake of buying a first-generation truck? I’m not looking forward to pursue legal action, which will end up costing me an arm and a leg, on top of that I probably won’t benefit much from it. Realistically, I’m also not looking forward to switching sides just yet. I want to make sure I’ve exhausted all my efforts before I make a drastic change like that.

This was my dream truck... and I was beyond blessed to be able to own it, and I had so much plans for it. Now? It’s looking like a nightmare, and I've got the urge to get rid of it.

HELP. ME. PLEASE.

I want to apologize in advance for the length of this... I just need to point out the details. It’s time GM does something for us who own 2014-2015 models, trucks I’ve dubbed "the engineering guinea pigs" thanks to personal experience and the myriad of complaints in this forum.

Good day to all of you. I’m presenting you an issue that is causing more concern to my safety in my truck than holding a gun to my head. Starting this off by stating I made the grand mistake of taking my truck in to get the steering update instead of checking ground connections myself. Doing this update bit me in the ass within a week of getting my truck back. Let’s just say that after I received my truck from the dealership in far beyond worse condition than I sent it in with, I’m getting consistent and far worse problems after updating. My truck shut off on me completely, losing control of steering and everything, while approaching a red light at about 45 MPH...with my younger brothers in the truck. I took it to the same dealership that same day, and they weren’t able to do anything. I was beyond frustrated. I’ve never had any vibration at any speed until my service. Now I’m getting vibration at 70mph. When I lightly press the brake, I’m hearing a rotational sound coming from my left front wheel, my mechanic says it’s the bearing but with our trucks having sealed bearings, I’m going to be looking at an $800 hub assembly. Just this Saturday, I made a 45 minute drive up to Ft. Lauderdale and as I arrived, I noticed my engine was producing a sound almost like a lifter noise, even though the dealership serviced my lifters(or one specific lifter, not clear at the moment as to what it was). When I got back in my truck after a few hours, I had no lifter noise...WTF? This is getting out of hand.

Here's the part that has me worried: ever since my update, my volt meter is below the half mark all the time (never happened beforehand) and I noticed that my headlights flicker and dim, along with my dash lights sometimes. When I press my brake and use my turn signals, the lights dim significantly and brighten back up but flicker. With my turn signal, my headlight dims when I engage it and as it blinks, my headlights dim and brighten with the blinks. Just the other day as I was backing up out of my buddy's house, my backup camera froze and I got a "service rear camera" message on the 8” display. I’m so confused, how does an update manage to mess up my truck? I'm beyond pissed. The only good this update did was actually improve the shifting. Other than that, this update makes me want to tell GM to F-off and move onto ford or something. Yes, I’m that serious. I’ve been a Chevy person all my life, the majority of my family owns Chevy's... this is just getting out of control. I've searched up all these forums about this and haven’t found too much. Already have links saved and screenshots of individual posts about all this, but I need more insight.

Did I make the mistake of buying a first-generation truck? I’m not looking forward to pursue legal action, which will end up costing me an arm and a leg, on top of that I probably won’t benefit much from it. Realistically, I’m also not looking forward to switching sides just yet. I want to make sure I’ve exhausted all my efforts before I make a drastic change like that.

This was my dream truck... and I was beyond blessed to be able to own it, and I had so much plans for it. Now? It’s looking like a nightmare, and I have the urge to get rid of it.

HELP. ME. PLEASE.

I see three possibilities for the issues. One, the battery has gone south. Two, alternator has gone there too. Three, bad ground or bad negative cable at the battery. Every single issue you mentioned stems from low system voltage.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Oops sorry. I was really referring to the electrical issues only.

The low voltage reading is a designed. GM put a regulating system on the alernator that keeps voltage at the battery where it should be. All these years, batteries have been overcharged. 12V vs 14.5 or whatever the average alternator puts out. Just so it stays between the high and low bar on the dash.

Mine vibrated like crazy at 70 until the dealer replaced the rear ring gear and two rear shocks. A very good rfb on new michelin tires has removed the vibrations at highway speeds. I do plan on getting a custom high speed balanced drive shaft. There is a history of issues with them. GM is not the only mfg that is dealing with out of balance shafts right now.

Sorry you are having problems with your truck.

13 minutes ago, rusty503 said:

I see three possibilities for the issues. One, the battery has gone south. Two, alternator has gone there too. Three, bad ground or bad negative cable at the battery. Every single issue you mentioned stems from low system voltage.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

YES, this ^^^

With the exception of the bearing noise everything else sounds related to the electronics of the vehicle. They start doing weird stuff when your battery takes a crap. I've had to replace a battery every three years in numerous vehicles since moving to GA because the heat kills batteries faster than the cold.

7 minutes ago, rusty503 said:

Three, bad ground or bad negative cable at the battery.

Check the ground at the front upper left of the dash, under the defrost cover. It is painted and then the wires are secured. If I ever have my defrost cover off, I taking the ground terminal down to bare metal and securing the wires again. There is also a known issue where one of the harnesses is pinched and wires cut open on the side of the instrument panel. It made the electrical system go crazy.

We’re still waiting for you to present the hard evidence to substantiate this claim.....

My son had the same problem with a 15 Tahoe. When he took it in for repair there was a two wk wait for electrical problems. The had so many they separated them from other repairs not to make other repairs wait. My daughter in law made video and posted it on the web. After several failed attempts to repair they took a loss an traded it in. Very scary ordeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/6/2017 at 11:43 AM, 2017SierraSLT said:

Please drive it in the ocean, and video it.

You say myraid of problems, but in reality, it's a very small percentage of total trucks made that have these issues.

I definitely want to see the evidence to support your claim, because on this site, I see too many posts about these issues.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:26 PM, KLRV6 said:

Hey there, thank you for posting. I actually did that mod last Tuesday and it seemed to fix my headlight issue, but I’m still taking my truck in today for service at a new dealership. Hope everything goes well with these new guys.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:16 PM, KLRV6 said:

The low voltage reading is a designed. GM put a regulating system on the alernator that keeps voltage at the battery where it should be. All these years, batteries have been overcharged. 12V vs 14.5 or whatever the average alternator puts out. Just so it stays between the high and low bar on the dash.

Mine vibrated like crazy at 70 until the dealer replaced the rear ring gear and two rear shocks. A very good rfb on new michelin tires has removed the vibrations at highway speeds. I do plan on getting a custom high speed balanced drive shaft. There is a history of issues with them. GM is not the only mfg that is dealing with out of balance shafts right now.

Sorry you are having problems with your truck.

Thank you for the insight, truck is going in for service with a different dealership today. Let me know what driveshaft you end up going with, thanks!

1 hour ago, BigBadSierra said:

It sounds like the Battery is on the way out.  They get weak and with these LANBUS systems they start to act up when voltage is low.

Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

Good day to you all, I’m writing to update you guys on my truck... dealer didn’t even keep the truck, just plugged a computer to it. Nothing showed up. Is what it is, I guess. Being a millennial and “closely related” to today’s technology, I’ll be the first to say I can’t stand it sometimes. Today’s mechanics aren’t like before. Today they rely on a f***ing computer to tell them if there’s something wrong with the truck instead of getting in the driver seat, driving it, and seeing what’s wrong. 

I thank each and every one of you who have contributed and who will contribute to this thread in the future. As of now, I’m working to find a solution with the help of everyone of y’all. 

You are still driving a vehicle that completely shut off while you were driving it?

Trade it and take the loss. Your life is more important.

Get on Ebay and search for 2014+ Silverado-Sierra rear axles.......look at allllllll those front crashed trucks with super low miles they are selling rear axles from.

Trade it.

Archived