In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Rigid Back Up Lights Install

They do cast a fair amount of angled light on either sides of the truck. Take a look at the last pic on my original starting post. That pic is taken from the drivers seat looking back through the side mirror...

But you need to do this simple mod if you want more light down the sides of a trailer...assuming you have the towing mirrors with the LED lights? Now these LEDs in the mirrors will come on every time you put it reverse...

Under the drivers dash, locate the Body Control Module (BCM). Install a diode (jumper) between the two pins (see pic below). Jump from the brown BCM pin (brown/blue wire) to the second from left pin in the pic (brown/white wire) of the "pink" BCM. The gray stripe on the diode must be on the "pink" side. Simply push it in approx 3/8" to 1/2" deep. The diode is a Radio Shack part Number 1N4004. I believe a 2-pack is about $2.00. 

diode.jpg

1 hour ago, EJCarter said:

They do cast a fair amount of angled light on either sides of the truck. Take a look at the last pic on my original starting post. That pic is taken from the drivers seat looking back through the side mirror...

But you need to do this simple mod if you want more light down the sides of a trailer...assuming you have the towing mirrors with the LED lights? Now these LEDs in the mirrors will come on every time you put it reverse...

Under the drivers dash, locate the Body Control Module (BCM). Install a diode (jumper) between the two pins (see pic below). Jump from the brown BCM pin (brown/blue wire) to the second from left pin in the pic (brown/white wire) of the "pink" BCM. The gray stripe on the diode must be on the "pink" side. Simply push it in approx 3/8" to 1/2" deep. The diode is a Radio Shack part Number 1N4004. I believe a 2-pack is about $2.00. 

diode.jpg

Thanks. 
i have bed lights so have the switch in the cab for the mirror lights. Im going to wire them to that so i can toggle them on/off. 
i dont really want them blinding me as i walk up behind the truck and unlock it. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/13/2020 at 12:23 PM, Chadw90 said:

Thanks. 
i have bed lights so have the switch in the cab for the mirror lights. Im going to wire them to that so i can toggle them on/off. 
i dont really want them blinding me as i walk up behind the truck and unlock it. 

Do you have any details on wiring it to the the bed light switch? I have those as well and would like to go that route.