Rear end noise 2017 Silverado

I purchased a new 2017 Silverado this past March. After about 3000-4000 miles I started to hear this clunking/ popping noise in the rear of the truck. I took it to my local dealer twice and they said they lubed the leaf springs. Didn't fix anything. I then took it to another local dealer who said the noise is coming from a leaf spring schackle and they think they got rid of the noise. I drove it for a few weeks and didn't hear the noise once. Right around the 3 week mark I started to hear it again so I took it back to the dealer. This time they said they lubed the leaf springs but this is only a temporary fix. I was understandably upset considering this is a brand new truck and it should not be having this issue. I did some research on this and found that some people had the springs/schackles replaced and it corrected the problem. The dealership said they will not replace anything until a permanent fix has been sent out by GM. So I called GM to complain. They basically told me the same thing. I am not happy driving around a truck that sounds like it's falling apart in the rear end and GM won't do anything about it. They won't even make the effort to replace the part to make the customer happy. Has anyone had this issue? Any advice on what to do or who to call and complain to get this issue fixed? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

That appears to be gm’s response to every problem since 2014s rolled out. Just left dealership where they told me I had 4 ball joints out, needed new pads and rotors, and my transmission fluid smelled “burnt”. Went to local shop and said it all looked good. I had just had the brake pads change so I know they are crazy on that one. Will likely get trans fluid changed as I’m at 55k and I’m about to do the tcase and diffs. Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, troop12 said:

I purchased a new 2017 Silverado this past March. After about 3000-4000 miles I started to hear this clunking/ popping noise in the rear of the truck. I took it to my local dealer twice and they said they lubed the leaf springs. Didn't fix anything. I then took it to another local dealer who said the noise is coming from a leaf spring schackle and they think they got rid of the noise. I drove it for a few weeks and didn't hear the noise once. Right around the 3 week mark I started to hear it again so I took it back to the dealer. This time they said they lubed the leaf springs but this is only a temporary fix. I was understandably upset considering this is a brand new truck and it should not be having this issue. I did some research on this and found that some people had the springs/schackles replaced and it corrected the problem. The dealership said they will not replace anything until a permanent fix has been sent out by GM. So I called GM to complain. They basically told me the same thing. I am not happy driving around a truck that sounds like it's falling apart in the rear end and GM won't do anything about it. They won't even make the effort to replace the part to make the customer happy. Has anyone had this issue? Any advice on what to do or who to call and complain to get this issue fixed? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Tons of us have had this issue. I used the bicycle inner tube trick to get rid of my issues. 

How would I do the bicycle inner tube trick? I assume you cut it up and put pieces in between the leafs springs? Please let me know where I would put the pieces to eliminate this noise. I'll try anything at this point. 

One question though, the dealership said the noise is coming from the rear schackles not the leaf springs themselves.i can't picture how inner tube pieces would help stop the noise in the schackles. Again any info is appreciated. Thanks!!

3 minutes ago, troop12 said:

How would I do the bicycle inner tube trick? I assume you cut it up and put pieces in between the leafs springs? Please let me know where I would put the pieces to eliminate this noise. I'll try anything at this point. 

One question though, the dealership said the noise is coming from the rear schackles not the leaf springs themselves.i can't picture how inner tube pieces would help stop the noise in the schackles. Again any info is appreciated. Thanks!!

You are exactly correct. You cut it into strips the width of the spring. Jack the truck up to relieve all pressure on the suspension and then take a pry bar (I wrapped mine in a shop towel) and pull the spring apart ever so slightly and slide it in. Do this for all contact points. It helped mine tremendously. The shackles I am not sure on. I still get a slight thump when I slow down fast on a decline, but it is very rare and I just dont notice it anymore. I went the route of the dealership (I bought certified pre owned) and got the same run around as you are getting. I got frustrated and did the inner tube trick and it has worked out for me. I honestly do not think GM will release a "fix" for this minus packing the springs with so much grease it is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, troop12 said:

Ok thank you. I will give that a shot. GM claims they are currently working on a fix for this noise but they couldn't give me a time frame so I agree with you that it will never happen. It's too bad because I love this truck but I don't like doing business with a company that knows there is an issue with a part and refuse to fix it no matter how big or small the problem is. Thanks again. Any other info and suggestions are appreciated.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:49 AM, troop12 said:

Ok thank you. I will give that a shot. GM claims they are currently working on a fix for this noise but they couldn't give me a time frame so I agree with you that it will never happen. It's too bad because I love this truck but I don't like doing business with a company that knows there is an issue with a part and refuse to fix it no matter how big or small the problem is. Thanks again. Any other info and suggestions are appreciated.

Just like sippisierra said, cut 1 3/4 or 2 inch just measure the width of the spring and I think I cut mine 2 1/2 length wise. Place them in front and the back of the middle spring. While you have it jacked before applying the rubber, clean out all the old grease so dirt and stuff don’t stick to it. 

On 11/8/2017 at 11:49 AM, troop12 said:

Did you end up trying the innertube? Curious to know if it helped your issue

Yeah I’m pretty much frustrated with GM right now. I have a 16’ Double Cab GMC Sierra, that has already been in the dealership for a malfunctioning cadalyc converter around the 1st of October. Maybe 2-3 weeks later I hear a clunk sound coming from the rear. And last night while driving I heard a sound coming from where the transmission and driveshaft meet I’m assuming.

If it wasn’t such a pain in the azz to get a loaner vehicle from my local dealer I wouldn’t be pissed, they constantly give me the run around about how I would be the 16th person in line for a loaner, wtf? 

Also so where I live in Huntsville  a small Tx town with bumpy roads, this sound doesn’t keep me assured everything will be okay. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I have bought two 2017 GMC 1500 Denali's 4x4 and both have the rear end noise everyone has been describing on this thread and the others.    I have a 20 year old truck at my ranch an it is quiet than these new trucks, very annoying.     After about 5k miles is when I started hearing it on both trucks, on one truck dealership tighten leaf springs and that helped for about 30 days.   The dealership keeps telling me its the floating axle in these trucks and that is just the way it is and cant be fixed.     I cant believe GM would want to build a truck with this type of noise in rear end.  

Maybe  the only way to get satisfaction is to bring a class action suit  since this cant be right, seems to be a very consistent problem, so likely a lot of us, everyone's getting a different story, etc..    I happen to know some guys that do this type of work and will discuss with them.  Stay tuned.

M,

On 1/8/2018 at 3:55 PM, troop12 said:

I did end up putting pieces of a tire inner tube between the leafs and as far as I can tell no more noise. Thanks... Still wish GM would fix it properly though. 

pictures would help thanks!

I have a similar issue. I have a 2017 double cab sierra 1500, which has developed a rubbing noise in the rear driver side. It sounds like metal rubbing against rubber. It can be easily replicated when I push the bumper down by hand with the vehicle stopped. Not sure if this is the same as your issue.