Rear end noise 2017 Silverado

2 hours ago, Logroller said:

I'm a member of the rear thunk club. I still haven't narrowed it down, but my feeling is it the suspension as others have stated. It only happens under 5mph (at least that's when I notice it) and when I go over a slight bump or backing in the garage (slight incline). Seems to be only the passenger side. 

I had the rear squeaks too, dealer cleaned and relubed the leafs, it is slowly coming back. 

It started around 10k miles.

The sound is different from the transmission clunk or axle clunk. Which of course I have as well. Wondering if the Yoke might be loose too.

I wish I could get my dealer to get rid of the transmission clunk.

'17 1500 4x4, 15k miles

Heh. Its pretty bad when you have to differentiate between clunks in a brand new truck.

Based on what you describe, the issue is your leaf springs. The pads they put in between the leafs are brittle and stop absorbing the friction after a little while. GM is masking the noise with grease hoping you will go away until the warranty expires. Failing that they will pivot to taking the position the the clunking noise is normal for the suspension and refuse to escalate the repair until you twist their arm legally.

I suppose they do have a point. Clunking noises seem to be normal for everything else on this truck.

All right guys I filed a claim with the state attorney general and GM called me and basically said what do you want us to do to fix this issue so I urge everyone on this thread to file a claim with your states attorney general for this exact issue as I told GM I’m not the only one who is experiencing this issue if we get enough people filing claims with the attorney general’s for each of your states I am positive GM is going to address and fix this issues ASAP. It’s really easy to do online. 

45 minutes ago, Christopher Charles said:

All right guys I filed a claim with the state attorney general and GM called me and basically said what do you want us to do to fix this issue so I urge everyone on this thread to file a claim with your states attorney general for this exact issue as I told GM I’m not the only one who is experiencing this issue if we get enough people filing claims with the attorney general’s for each of your states I am positive GM is going to address and fix this issues ASAP. It’s really easy to do online. 

Post your claim (omitting personal content) so we can cut and paste.

This same issue has just begun with my GMC Sierra also (2018) only 1,000miles, I took it to the dealer to get it checked out the next day they called me said it was fixed that the leaf springs needed some grease or lubricant... next day noise gets even louder so I’m fixing to take it back to the dealer tomorrow morning and fighting them to get the leaf springs switched out with new ones. I’ve owned 5 different GM trucks and only my 2015 had this issue but was fixed when they removed the leaf springs and replaced with new ones. Hoping that could fix this one as well because to be honest my 2010 had less issues than these newer trucks that are supposed to be much better yet they have so many little imperfections that just makes me want to throw the whole truck away.. doesn’t even allow me to feel comfortable in my own investment. (Will update what happens once I’ve gotten the truck back from my dealership). 

4 hours ago, Sam_27 said:

This same issue has just begun with my GMC Sierra also (2018) only 1,000miles, I took it to the dealer to get it checked out the next day they called me said it was fixed that the leaf springs needed some grease or lubricant... next day noise gets even louder so I’m fixing to take it back to the dealer tomorrow morning and fighting them to get the leaf springs switched out with new ones. I’ve owned 5 different GM trucks and only my 2015 had this issue but was fixed when they removed the leaf springs and replaced with new ones. Hoping that could fix this one as well because to be honest my 2010 had less issues than these newer trucks that are supposed to be much better yet they have so many little imperfections that just makes me want to throw the whole truck away.. doesn’t even allow me to feel comfortable in my own investment. (Will update what happens once I’ve gotten the truck back from my dealership). 

Yeah, the "clean/lube fix" is lame and it means one would have to do it constantly. Good luck with new leafs, hopefully that works, but I wonder if it will be the same part resulting in the same issue.

Edited by Logroller

18 minutes ago, Sam_27 said:

Just took my truck to dealership and they said I need to put at least 1,000 more miles on my truck before they can even try fix it again..

You know it, more miles = magically goes away.

Service manager time or higher.

4 hours ago, Christopher Charles said:

I cant find it in my email anymore. All i did when I posted the claim was to just tell them about the problem we all are having. I suggest we all do the claim with the state AG. 

Well, I'm not really buying the lost email bit or that you cannot remember what you wrote given how steamed you portrayed yourself. Seems phishy, but lets say those reasons are legit. Where is your dealer info/resolution based on your claim GM wants to appease you. It's all a bunch of crap if you cannot show us proof of your issue, dispute and or resolution. 

Filing online or by mail with the State Attorney General is not a big deal and it really is nothing more than a middle-man for contacting your complaint source. Companies are not scared by contacts from A.G., B.B.B, & DMV. There is nothing legally investigated, it is merely an exchange of information until a true claim warrants further investigation, yours not being one of them.

I know this due to my own experience reporting a dealer for false advertisement. If you truly did get a repsonse from GM, I doubt it was them begging you to give them a chance to rectify things, but more like a general response stating they apologized for the inconvenience and issues you're having and asking how they can settle your concerns.

And that's what I'm going with until you can give others "real tangible facts" to help their troubled trucks out. Otherwise your post is just considered as bullcocky, rubbish, crackersnackles, trolling......i.e., not helpful. 

P.S. If you prove me wrong , I blame it on my confusion manifested from trying to figure out if the noises from my own truck is a squeak, clunk, thump, tick, thunk, slap, knock, chirp or screech in comparison to the numerous noise posts on this forum.

Actually, I have a headache and felt like story telling to calm my discomfort.

Cheers

Edited by Logroller

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2017 Silverado Z71 that has this exact same problem. The real problem is Ive been to three different dealerships here in Oklahoma. Everyone of them had a different outlook. One said the problem is the rear axle rattling back and forth in the sleeve, and there was no way to correct it. The next dealership said it was dirt and rock between my leaf springs, and they said the cleaned it out... Nope, not fixed. Finally I took it back to Cummins Chevrolet in Weatherford Oklahoma, where I bought the truck. They took it in over night, and gave me a piece of shit 1990 Impala as a loaner car and told me it was all they have for a loaner. When I came back the next day, they said they replaced the shackles and fixed the issue. So yes, it did fix it for about two weeks, Now the clunking and popping is back and worse than before. I am pursuing an attorney. I am paying a big truck payment to drive this piece of shit truck. I traded my aluminum tin can Ford truck, going upside down in the deal, just to get into what I thought was a nice solid truck for my family and I to enjoy. Boy was I wrong. On top of all this,  GM's customer service at everyone of these dealerships suck ass! like they know there is a problem, and they don't care about the customer. I am pissed and want my money back, or a new truck that won't have this issue again. Like I said, I am pursuing a lawsuit on GM on the grounds of the Lemon Law. If anyone knows of a class action law suit pertaining to this issue with our GM trucks, please let me know. 

Edited by Bane Mayfield

3 hours ago, Bane2018 said:

I have a 2017 Silverado Z71 that has this exact same problem. The real problem is Ive been to three different dealerships here in Oklahoma. Everyone of them had a different outlook. One said the problem is the rear axle rattling back and forth in the sleeve, and there was no way to correct it. The next dealership said it was dirt and rock between my leaf springs, and they said the cleaned it out... Nope, not fixed. Finally I took it back to Cummins Chevrolet in Weatherford Oklahoma, where I bought the truck. They took it in over night, and gave me a piece of shit 1990 Impala as a loaner car and told me it was all they have for a loaner. When I came back the next day, they said they replaced the shackles and fixed the issue. So yes, it did fix it for about two weeks, Now the clunking and popping is back and worse than before. I am pursuing an attorney. I am paying a big truck payment to drive this piece of shit truck. I traded my aluminum tin can Ford truck, going upside down in the deal, just to get into what I thought was a nice solid truck for my family and I to enjoy. Boy was I wrong. On top of all this,  GM's customer service at everyone of these dealerships suck ass! like they know there is a problem, and they don't care about the customer. I am pissed and want my money back, or a new truck that won't have this issue again. Like I said, I am pursuing a lawsuit on GM on the grounds of the Lemon Law. If anyone knows of a class action law suit pertaining to this issue with our GM trucks, please let me know. 

Good luck. Of course I would be curious to see if you get anything resolved as in fixing the issue. 

I’m currently dealing with this same issue. My dealer has replaced my shackles and springs. Which did quiet the truck up for 2 weeks both times then the noise came back. So this is not a solution.  I’m not convinced that this is the problem. Has anyone else shaken the back tires back-and-forth. This will replicate the sound. When I told you him they told me this was normal. So I decided to go and shake all their trucks in their yard and apparently it’s not normal because not one of there new trucks made the sound.  There is a tolerance allowed on the rear axle of .066mm  or .0.026 in. I’m assuming the problem will get worse with time and will have to have work done to the axle. This will be the last gm product I will buy.

The dealer (in Vernon, BC) replaced my leaf springs on my 2014 at about 6 months old, this was after they cleaned & lubed once which they said would likely not work but they were required to try first.

My symptoms were creaking noises with any up & down movement, especially after getting dirty following driving on a gravel road. The new springs did the trick for mine, four years with no creaking.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Once I put the innertube in between the leafs the noise has completely gone away. Going on more than 6 months now I believe. I used quite a bit of it. I cut 5-6 inch pieces, folded them up and put them in between each leaf. I put one about every 4-5 inches in between the leafs. Around 8 on each side. Every couple of days at first I had to reposition some but after a couple weeks they start to stay put. I check them once a month now just to see and they rarely seem to move. I separated the leafs with a pry bar and a micro fiber towel on the end. Hopefully this helps some of you with this issue because I know how annoying it is and how frustrating it is to deal with the dealers that are no help at all.