Former GM Vice Chairman On Autonomous Cars "Everyone will have 5 years to get their car off the road..."

Gorehamj

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can't even build reliable vehicles that WE have to operate ... and they expect us to trust THEM to drive us around? :crackup::crackup:

This got me thinking. I bet they're purposely building unreliable crap that barely makes it out of warranty, so that they can entice the masses with a driverless car that they won't have to own. I can see it now ...

Battery powered cars take several hours to charge. They don't make sense for a vehicle that has to be in use throughout the working day like a taxi, uber, lyft, or a bread truck. They could get fifty miles in by nine a.m., then what do they do? Sit at a charging station until five p.m.?

Apparently Elon Musk is in the works for creating a fast charge battery that would recharge to 95% in 5 min or less.   So the charge time may be less of a factor.  However the problem still remains the range of most EVs is lower than gas between charges

Technology cost money, whether it's self driving cars, EV cars, or self driving EV cars, money will always be the reason Bob Lutz' theory of only autonomous vehicles on the road, will never happen. The family down the road that's struggling to keep their 10 year old mini van on the road, isn't going to be buying a $50k+ (and I'm guessing I'm seriously low balling the cost) autonomous van. 

• 5 weeks later...

Seems most people don't like this idea at all, by looking at this thread. I agree, no computer can react to things, just what it's programed to do. If you program it to react to things, you have to program those things into it. Like all situations can be imagined, then programed, right....

Guns, cars, whats next, oh it's already happening, smarts, take away the phone, and nothing.

On 12/8/2017 at 12:03 PM, Daly said:

... Bob Lutz' theory of only autonomous vehicles on the road, will never happen. The family down the road that's struggling to keep their 10 year old mini van on the road, isn't going to be buying a $50k+ (and I'm guessing I'm seriously low balling the cost) autonomous van. 

Think of Bob Lutz' comments as a bit tongue in cheek....he is mentioning this to get people reacting to this autonomous bullshit.  He is a CAR GUY.  He doesn't want this to happen, he is providing the only pre-emptive strike on the movement to take freedoms away from us. 

Think of it this way as well....the silicon valley sluts that are pouring the addiction down our thoats, the ones making the money on the front side of the deal, are going to make the money on the back side of the deal as well, with the "fix to the FIX".  Their money making autonomous junk will allow the lemmings with their faces in the devices to buy more from silicon valley and line their pockets for more money and POWER feeding the ego.

1 hour ago, nowicksl said:

Think of Bob Lutz' comments as a bit tongue in cheek....he is mentioning this to get people reacting to this autonomous bullshit.  He is a CAR GUY.  He doesn't want this to happen, he is providing the only pre-emptive strike on the movement to take freedoms away from us. 

Think of it this way as well....the silicon valley sluts that are pouring the addiction down our thoats, the ones making the money on the front side of the deal, are going to make the money on the back side of the deal as well, with the "fix to the FIX".  Their money making autonomous junk will allow the lemmings with their faces in the devices to buy more from silicon valley and line their pockets for more money and POWER feeding the ego.

EXCELLENT choice on the song. The following concert video shows the animation that was projected behind the band when they performed the song:

(Disclosure I'm a big Rush fan)

Last summer I saw a older Ford Explore w/ this bumper sticker:

"MY OTHER CAR IS A RED BARCHETTA"

On 1/7/2018 at 10:38 AM, nowicksl said:

Think of Bob Lutz' comments ..., he is providing the only pre-emptive strike on the movement to take freedoms away from us. 

...Their money making autonomous junk will allow the lemmings with their faces in the devices to buy more from silicon valley and line their pockets for more money and POWER feeding the ego.

Well, that was imaginative.

Archived