DEF heater failure and engine light

Is anyone having trouble with DEF heater going out and Engine light coming on. Several friends have 2015 2500 Duramax and heaters going out. I called dealer yesterday (11/10/17) And new e-mail out saying GM is revising warrantee on this part for 12 years or 120,000 miles. So GM has noticed that there are problems out there with the DEF heater.

DEF & DPF systems on these trucks SUCK.  VERY common issue.  I got a new DEF system last year when heater codes started to be thrown.  Sadly I'm now dealing with DEF quality issues and am now limited at 65 MPH and 50 miles until limited to 55 MPH and so on.  Most likely the NOX sensors but I am out of the extended warranty on the emissions system as of this year.  Don't have the money right now to go get it fixed so truck is sidelined for the time being. 

Had the exact same thing happen with my 2012. Heater went out causing the slow limitations of death. Part was covered under the extended warranty but was on national back order. Traded the Duramax in for a GMC 1500. Would love to get back into a Duramax but don't really want to deal with the emission systems again.

• 3 months later...

Been test driving a used '17 for the last week. Don't really need the diesel and we have nothing but issues with DEF big trucks at work in the -30c winters in Canada. This kind of leans me to passing up the opportunity and waiting for a 6.0L. 

• 1 month later...

MY 2017 GMC SIERRA 3500 HAD THE DEF HEATER FAIL AT 20K MILES  DEALER REPLACED ONLYT TO HAVE IT FAIL 2 DAYS LATER  TRUCK IS BACK AT DEALER FOR 2 WEEKS NOW WITH DEALER UNABLE TO FIX, CHNGED DEF HEATER AND MODULE  NOW CLAIM GM ENGINEERING HAS TO FIGURE IT OUT  LOST TRUCK FOR PLOWING A BIG STORM, NOT TO MENTION THE MONTHLY PAYMENT  CALLING GM CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A TOTAL JOKE- MANNED BY FOREIGNERS AT A CALL CENTER

IVE NEVER BEED SO FRUSTRATED IN MY LIFE.  WE OWN SEVERAL OTHER PRE EMISSIONS DURMX TRUCKS- MY ADVICE; STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING WITH DEF!!!

Edited by Adamant2663
TYPOS

• 4 months later...

New here to the forum. I had the same problem as above. I have a 2016 Sierra 2500HD Denali Diesel and the DEF heater went around 36,000 miles. Dealer replaced it and two days later the engine light came on again and they had to replace the one they just installed. I'm up to almost 40,000 miles and no issues.......yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Causes one to wonder when the U.S. OEM's will wake up and do it right.  Amminex, a Dutch company, has been making cartridge systems for quite a few years that contain 100% urea in a substrate that eliminates all the DEF nonsense.  Cartridges last for a complete oil change interval.  Pull one out, put the other in and go.  No shelf life issues, no freezing issues, no spilling, etc.  Cartridges are recycled and refilled.  Simple plug and play cartridges that can be purchased at fueling locations or delivered right to your front door.  Since the system is totally functional on engine start up,  EGR  can be eliminated and still meet EPA limits for NOx at start up.  

DEF is soooo old school.