Why doesn't the 2015 Terrain SLT come with the cross bars that slide back and forth on the rails like every other normal roof rack? Can these be purchased after market, or is this designed this way for a reason?

Edited by jernatety

I went ahead and called around and found out, low and behold, cross rails do not come standard on the SLT, but the side rails do. What is the point of that? So stupid. 

Anyway. I found these on Amazon because the dealership accessories only has a set for $195. This aftermarket package is $78, anybody have any experience with this or any other cheaper option that is simple to install?

Fedar Roof Rack Cross Bar Cargo Carrier for 2010-2017 Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain

https://www.amazon.com/Fedar-Carrier-2010-2017-Equinox-Terrain/dp/B06WRS95ZX/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

I had the same question when my wife got her 2015 terrain. I'm guessing they are not used by everyone and having them installed adds wind resistance -> lower mpgs. Its easy to add the rails if you want. I was close to buying them off Amazon myself.

I have not purchased any yet, instead I bought a hitch hauler for when we want to load more than her rig can fit inside. I used that this summer and I was pretty happy with it, so I probly won't be going the roof rack route anytime soon.

I did hear that people were complaining about a whistling noise when they put the bars in, pay attention, there is a "front" so install it the right way.

• Like 1

We're kind of in the middle right now. We bought the Terrain this past spring with the idea that it would be a dramatic change from prior ownership of a Honda Accord. Our kids play ice hockey and we travel a lot, we needed the extra room and space and found this isn't providing what we were looking for. So, the Acadia is next, probably this spring. In the mean-time the only way we'll get the extra space for both of their equipment bags and luggage is by taking advantage of the roof rack. We have no choice since they both play every weekend we've found with both bags in the back you can't see out the rear window because they're piled on top of each other. We travel to Columbus, Ohio and Buffalo New York in the next couple months for tournaments and the rack is going to be absolutely necessary. 

well get those bars off amazon, and have fun strapping those gigantic hockey bags to the roof! At least it will smell better inside the car finally.

LOL, they're not that big but they certainly do smell awful, ha ha.