GM Recalls 2012-2015 Silverados & Sierra 3500s For "Risk of Fire" (Dual Fuel Tanks Only)

Gorehamj

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-3500HD-006.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

11-16-2017

General Motors is recalling about 50,000 Silverado pickups due to a possible fuel safety issue. The company says that a faulty low fuel level sensor in the front tank could stick and cause the rear tank to overfill.  Spilling fuel isn’t the issue. The problem is the overfilling can cause the rear tank to expand, then it will contact the driveshaft, which can then burn a hole in it due to friction.

The fix is to update the fuel-level sensor software, inspect the front tank, and may also include replacing the rear tank. As with every safety-related recall, the repairs will come at no cost to the vehicle owner. Also like every safety recall, federal law mandates that GM contact owners by snail mail. If you prefer not to wait to see if your Silverado or Sierra has the problem (and given the number of vehicles recalled, the chances are it does), you can use the GM recall lookup using your VIN. If you opt to contact your dealer, reference NHTSA Campaign Number  17V664000.

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

Wouldn't it be safe to say this recall affects trucks with dual fuel tanks only.

This should have been mentioned in your post IMO.

:happysad:

^^^100%

But that's often not the way of presenting news these days -- the prefer to sensationalize, just like most that use social media methods.

(FWIW, if it would have said 2012-2015 dual tank gm pickups recalled, I'd have still read the article)

Me either.  Wonder if two tanks are offered on the 1500?  If yes, had I known would have asked my dealer to find one or order one from the factory for me.  The meager 26 gal tank is much to small for those of us who live and drive in fly-over country, especially when towing.  Good thing I'm old and need to stop to p!$$ a lot, lol ?...

2016 is the oldest order guide still viewable.  It shows dual tanks were only available on cab and chassis 3500's.  (not the same as a box delete)

Front 23.5 gal, rear 40 gal or both could be ordered.

Looks like the same availablilty for 2018MY.

Archived