Ambient light sensor

I watched a video today where they took the front strip off the top of the dash and the sensor was on it,, looks a lot easier than taking the front of the dash off,, that front strip just pops off 

• 3 weeks later...

I took my sensor apart  and took most of the white goop that is around it off.I did leave quite a bit on it though, I took the sensor out like in the video above, hardes part was taking the sensor apart. 2 buttons on the round part and 2 more on the flat part where the plug goes into, then just pull the card out of the round sensor and the white goop will come with it, just be careful you don't break anything,, I asked at my dealer,,, they said that it is normal on the new trucks,, very sensitive, am sure they won't touch it. Mine works like it is supposed to now. Good luck 

This also worked for me however I live in a mostly rural area and although  I do drive under some street lights I was wondering if driving at night in a bigger city if this may turn the headlights off.

• 4 months later...

On one of my older cars with automatic headlights, the little dome that covered the sensor would twist to adjust the amount of ambient light that passed through the sensor cover.  I think it was just two "half domes", one inside of the other that acted like a shade over the sensor.  Does anyone know of a replacement of this type for the goop filled dome on the 2017 GMC Sierra trucks?

On 12/31/2017 at 6:23 AM, JR777 said:

This also worked for me however I live in a mostly rural area and although  I do drive under some street lights I was wondering if driving at night in a bigger city if this may turn the headlights off.

I have not had any problem with street lights,, just don't take too much out and it should be fine. 

Great info!  I need to do this to my 17 one of these days too.  I live in Northern Alberta and in the winter the sun hangs low in the sky to the south... and this things lights became maddening.  On and off constantly during the middle of the day.. pass a tree and it turns the lights on.  If this does the trick great and if not I will bypass it with a resistor.  Even my 14 year old 05s auto lights work properly lol.  

I forget how much of the white stuff I took out,, not that hard to get it out, take a bit out,, try it and if not enough,, take a bit more out, this stuff is really sticky, good luck,, 

• 4 months later...

My 2017 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 has the same issue.  Anytime the sunlight is not extremely bright, the headlights comes on.  On my way to work on a normal sunny morning, the lights will cycle on and off several times.  Tonight, I watched the attached video and commenced to remove the white goo from the sensor.  After getting through the process, I decided I should take a few photos and post a comment about the experience.

1.  After removing the bolts from the handle on the passenger side, I found it quite difficult to remove the A-pillar trim.  The clamps on the plastic are very tight, but all you can do is to pull it loose.  There's a metal clamp that grips the trim when it was originally installed.  On mine, the plastic piece of the trim was cut a little by the clamp when it was removed.  I hope it doesn't cause problems down the road.

2.  When removing the speaker trim (next to the windshield), it would be best to lay something wide and sturdy (a thin piece of wood, a spatula, etc.) under the pry tool to prevent the pry tool from denting the dash while prying.  The clamps here are tight as well.  So, it takes a little force to remove the trim piece.  When you reach the sensor, loosen up at least 2 clamps past the sensor.  To get the sensor out, you will have to lift the trim about 2 inches.  This bending on the trim will make it stick up after you re-install it.

3.  After unplugging the cable to the sensor, it can fall down in the dash.  It would be best to tie a string around it or clamp it with a clothes pin to make it more accessible when re-installing the sensor.

4.  The sensor is twisted to remove it from the trim.

5.  The sensor has four little tabs that keep the two pieces of plastic together. Two are on the sides of the dome, two are on the sides of the plug.  I used two very small flat screwdrivers to hold the 2 on the dome while opening the two on the plug with my fingernails.  It was easy after I got the concept.  But, the tabs would be very easy to break.

6.  The goop is really like sticky, firm jello.  It was conformed to the shape of the dome and pulled out of the dome with the little circuit board.  I just pulled the dome of goop off the top of the circuit board.  Before and after photos are included.

7.  The reassemble was much easier and took much less time than dis-assembly.  Most of the parts will go only one way, so it is difficult to screw it up.

I finished it tonight after dark. So, the results won't be known until tomorrow.  See the photos attached.  I hope this helps someone out there.

IMG_20181004_191505085.jpg

IMG_20181004_191122457.jpg

IMG_20181004_191233226.jpg

IMG_20181004_191257476.jpg

IMG_20181004_191329836.jpg

IMG_20181004_191401502.jpg

IMG_20181004_191406333.jpg

IMG_20181004_191410880.jpg

IMG_20181004_191432047.jpg

• Like 2

This is great! I just traded my 2015 Silverado HD for a 2018 Sierra 1500 SLT CC. The super-sensitive headlights was the VERY FIRST thing I noticed!

The timing/sensitivity on my 15, 09, 05 and 03 were all perfect. This truck runs the auto lights on more than they're off...

Once I tint the front windows and windshield band, I suspect the problem will be exacerbated without the mod. 

• 5 months later...

I had same issue as others, drive under an overpass, shadow of a building, headlights come and off. very aggravating. Folks think your flashing lights at them. Dash lights go dim cant see to good. Pried up the top dash panel , pulled the light sensor, opened it up, removed some of the white silicon goo. I left about the size of an aspirin on it. works much better now. could of removed a tad more, lights still come after sun rise, and well before sun set even though its still quite bright out, seems to be a bit longer than the 30 minute before/after rule, closer to 45-60 minute, but didnt feel like tearing dash apart again. Its appropriately livable now. DRL's are on all the time any way.

• 2 weeks later...

You could always mod the headlight switch so you can turn the lights to OFF, and that way you will have headlights ONLY when you want them. Then the AUTO feature won't work. Just a thought.

2 hours ago, RACERX7775 said:

You could always mod the headlight switch so you can turn the lights to OFF, and that way you will have headlights ONLY when you want them. Then the AUTO feature won't work. Just a thought.

Mine work just fine now since I took some of the stuff off the sensor. I like my lights on during the day, Other people can see me a lot better and I am not trying to hide from anyone.