Awesome vid! Any eta for the parts list and wiring diagram attachment?

thanks!!

I call out each of the parts in the video. I have the diagram I can send but it is still in its raw form. My hope was to include the circuit #s in a reference sheet soon. But have gotten busy with other projects.

I can give you Upfitter Page #s and the PDF of the diagram sooner if needed. PM me for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

So going to attempt this very soon.  Got a couple problems see if someone can help? I need a vin that had this option from the factory so I can get the mounting hardware.  Also I don’t see why the switch in the dash wouldn’t work if I could find the correct part number.  I need someone who has the fully loaded Denali ultimate to help me out with a vin.  I need petals, t/c, hill, cargo lamp, parking sensors, lane keep, and bars. If you could just pm the vin that would work unless someone knows the part number for this one.

Edit so i found a vin from a truck for sell online but I guess I suck at finding the parts bc I can't locate either thing I need.  Anyone good with gm phishe? vin i found online with what i need is 

3GTU2PEJXHG237513

Edited by Tleesmith14
ADD

How do you turn off the boards for ice conditions, or to force them to stay in place under for a 2 post lift? I would image you need a basic switch. You did not mention GM dash switch? dash switch might be whats needed for the BCM.

And to the guy who sold you his boards off his truck, man hes crazy I'd never part with mine. 

Edited by 05SIERRAMAN

13 hours ago, Xenawise said:

23180146 is the part number you are looking for the switch with all the options you list.

Xenawise

Thank you I found your other thread about this project at 2am and ordered the part.  I think it should work just like yours did but we shall see! To me it wouldn't make sense for gm to leave out the one wire when its present in other parts of the wiring harness already

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 05SIERRAMAN said:

How do you turn off the boards for ice conditions, or to force them to stay in place under for a 2 post lift? I would image you need a basic switch. You did not mention GM dash switch? dash switch might be whats needed for the BCM.

And to the guy who sold you his boards off his truck, man hes crazy I'd never part with mine. 

Hopefully Tleesmith14 will report his success or failure with the switch he ordered. I know when I did mine, the wire was already there in the switch harness. I find it interesting that the Running Board Disable wire was already existing in the LT harness. It does seem this could be used for a couple of different options so as long as you are using only one option at a time maybe it will work just fine.

Perhaps the OP could also order the switch and see if it works for him as well. I know when I did my conversion, I was already working with a Denali, so if there is BCM programming needed, it already had it. I do get DIC messages when the boards are disabled or enabled, so I would be interested to see if this happens on the lower trim trucks as well.

Anyway, this is not an "easy" modification to do, but if you have the means, the case and know something about the wiring of these trucks, you can certainly do this. 

Props to the OP for all the raw terminal and connector part numbers! I was having a rough time finding these and by the time I purchased all of it along with the wire and my time to build the harnesses from scratch, I kind of cheated and just purchased a new truck harness (cheapest I could find with the BRS option) and stripped out the running board harness from the rest of the harness. That way I had all the proper connectors and everything was hooked up exactly as the factory would do it including the harness that runs over to the passenger running board and all the mounting hardware so you can just push the wire harness retainers into the existing holes in the chassis for the passenger side. Even with the factory harness, you do have de-pin the +12v battery voltage wire, the GMLAN wire and the disable wire from the new harness, but you don't have to crimp any new connectors and only have to take the fuse box apart and just slide in the connectors in the trucks existing harness. So much easier for someone who would be challenged making up their own harness (and crimping the connectors and getting the "right" crimper tool and de-pin tool(s) which are a bit costly for a one-time job). Just goes to show that there is always more than one way to skin a cat!

Also, excellent video describing this process! I only wish I could do such as good a job as you did. Major props!

Xenawise

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So made this my weekend project and got em to work! For some reason I couldn’t get them to move until I installed the dash switch.  Upon turning the key on the dic immediately flashed I needed to hold the button to enable the boards.  So installed the switch and boom all functions work. Now I have one slight problem as the kicker buttons aren’t working on either board but I did splice into the disable wire with a crappy add a wire hook up so I’m going to modify that tomo and see if that fixes the issue. I will report back. I can’t say thank you enough to Pgamboa  for all his help through the thread, diagrams, parts, and pms.  Also Xenawise for that switch part number.  

7365CCD0-97B0-45BE-A8E0-12BD8AAB17EF.jpeg

Edited by Tleesmith14

The kick buttons have a separate wire harness that runs the length of the boards and plugs into the motor harness which plugs into the control module. You can unplug this harness from the motor harness, and maybe that is just not plugged in. If the boards extend when you open the doors, then you should be able to tap the kick switch and the boards should articulate to the rear position for bed access. The close the door and they should fully retract. Then tap the kick button again and they should articulate from the fully retracted position to the fully rearward position. If the boards show disabled, then yes, they would not extend when the doors are opened/closed, but they might still work when you press the kick button. I have not really tried that scenario, so I am not sure. 

Good job on getting them installed and working! It's a lot of work but I think it makes the truck much more streamlined than having the factory running boards sticking out all the time. 

Xenawise

• Like 1

So went outside this morning and guess the truck learned the kick buttons were there over night? Lol work flawless now! Also added some lights into the harness got those plugged in today.  Def a lot of work in this but makes it worth it IMO.

700E6FED-F205-4420-A255-1FC2B93FA979.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice lights on the boards. Would be interested in learning more about them. How you hooked them up, what kind of lights they are, etc. I also see you have the lighted door handles. I have my handles, just need to get them painted and then do all the wonderful wiring. I might wire them up to the door switch night lamps. that way, they will come on and stay on even when you are moving. I believe the interior door switches illuminate when you unlock the vehicle and stay lit for a while when you remote lock the vehicle. In any case, awesome work there and congrats on a sweet looking truck!

Xenawise

Thanks Man.  Without PGamboa what would I do lol?

Yea so on the lights I got them on amazon. (see link below these are pure white that match both the handles and the puddle lamps not that crappy purple/blue stuff) I have had them on my wifes Malibu for 3 months with no problems. They have 3M tape on the bottom.  I cleaned with rubbing alcohol first then applied 3M tape primer before placing them. I placed them on the rocker panels directed against the lip they fit perfect between the lip and the black plastic covers. They have the power for them running off the puddle lamp wire inside the cab same as I wired up my door handles.  I also have a diode that I placed in the bcm from the interior dome lights to the puddle lamps so now anytime the dome lights come on whether you push the button or unlock the truck open the door etc they all come on.  Pretty simple concept just have an inline fuse running to them the puddle lamp circuit seems to have plenty of power.  

Lights

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAS4YV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Primer Pen

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LDKZ2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Very Very Happy to see @Tleesmith14 do this.  From what I've read, and maybe I didn't find the thread from @Xenawise for getting it done, but everyone said that this mod couldn't be done.  That's what really drove me to jump on the first opportunity I had to get these boards and give it a go.  I didn't see a video on it either, so that is my natural MO these days.. to make a "How To" video. LOL.  

Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...