Can anyone tell me where the XM "receiver" is located in the 2017 Silverado?  I need to get to the end of the XM antenna/plug to use it for my portable XM receiver.  I have seen past web posts "behind the glove box" (for previous years to 2017), but mine does not look anything like those misc videos.  I just need to know where it is... and how (easily) to get to it. I love my new truck! Thanks Very Much! DJ

Well Im not sure if the receiver is just part of the my-link system, but I can tell you the shark fin antenna on the roof is for your xm signal/on-star. Two connections come off that antenna and run just above the headliner down into the dash. The two connections above the headliner are accessed above the driver seat basically right above your head but closer to the windshield. Not sure which connection does what but that should get you started.

I appreciate your response. Yes, the "shark fin" is the XM antenna, but the end I am looking for is under the dash.  In "older" Silverados, they have you pop out the glove box and there is the receiver... maybe 4"x6"x1" where the other end of the antenna wire plugs in.  However, in my 2017 Silverado, behind the glovebox looks different and since I don't see anything familiar to the 4"x6"x1" box described above back there... that is my question.  Did they move the XM receiver somewhere else under the dash?

Also goes without saying... when we get an answer... pics would be very helpful. My need is to use my portable Onyx radio in my truck. Right now, I have it installed but with the magnetic antenna. Would really like to clean it up by using the shark fin.

• Like 1

I did this exact same thing a few months ago for my 2014 LTZ.  The connection for the Sirus antenna is behind the screen (top right). You can buy an adapter a extension cable and tie it right to your external unit.  Reception is way better than the magnetic antennas.

is a easy job just pick up some pry tools so you don’t damage the dash.  

7BDB441D-A94D-4B1D-B633-EC85C2C27754.jpeg

3C21D517-E161-4A5E-A296-684F7B2E5F45.jpeg

1 hour ago, djohnson01247 said:

Any guidance on starting to open the dash/screen?

There are tons of how tos on this site showing how to remove the screen.  Just search for “remove screen”. Just pop the trim off surrounding the screen and there are 4 hex bolts.  Remove them and slowly pry the screen towards you and it will pop out.  

Super easy

I really appreciate all the help. My plan is to wait for a 5’ extension I ordered to come in. Then, I will tackle the job. I have an Onyx XM radio that I move from my daily driver (Volvo) and my Corvette. Now, I’ve added it to my 2017 Silverado... one subscription... 3 vehicles. Not bad!

4 hours ago, Black Denali Canada said:

I just stumbled onto this thread. Will the head unit pull from your receiver ? Or will you need to change channels / etc on the receiver itself?

I’m asking because I’m wondering if you could use an older receiver with a lifetime subscription in there somehow ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will still have to change the channels on the receiver etc.  this allows you to use the factory antenna with the aftermarket sirus head unit.    That’s exactly what I did (used an old unit with a lifetime subscription).  Works great.  I didn’t live the ui in the stock head unit anyway 

You will still have to change the channels on the receiver etc.  this allows you to use the factory antenna with the aftermarket sirus head unit.    That’s exactly what I did (used an old unit with a lifetime subscription).  Works great.  I didn’t live the ui in the stock head unit anyway 

Ah, thanks for the reply ! The lifetime sub was great in its day (still is). But with apps like pandora / Spotify / Apple Music/ etc I’m losing interest. I still have to investigate a little more though . If I can keep it clean I might still try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

Bump!

Did you get this figured out Dave? I'm thinking I want to do a similar, possibly identical thing.

I have an old Sirius One receiver. Tiny, has been rock solid and all I need. It's been in the Impala we just sold for over 11 years (lifetime sub).

I want to move this little bugger to my 2016 Silverado and use the shark fin antenna on the roof if possible.

Note - My radio is from the days of when there was "Sirius" and "XM" ie, pre-merger. Hoping the shark fin supports both XM and Sirius radios now.

The second thing I will do is run a cable from my Sirius One to the Aux jack in the truck.

Any help appreciated.

Thanx,

Krunch