Hi Krunch,

Yes, I got this all squared away. What I did with my truck is that I researched accessing the radio and was able to get direction to open up the trim around the center display panel... after some nervousness because, after all, this was a brand new truck!  I found that when I removed the display panel, I could easily access the wire to the "shark fin".  I bought a simple antenna wire extension to fit both the back of my Onyx radio and to connect to the shark fin behind the display panel.  Not sure where I bought it, but it was an "internet search" find... maybe something to do with "XM radio antenna extension"... probably 20 inches long... male/female wire.  It is a very simple job to snake the wire from behind the display panel to the accessory plug area below.

Next, I wanted to make my accessory plug (bottom center dash) to power on only with key. (Mine was live all the time... not what I wanted) I tapped the fuse box by driver's door, ran a power wire under the dash over to the accessory outlet area.  I then bought one of those XM radio "plug in" power mounts to plug into the accessory outlet.  Once I mounted my Onyx radio to the plug in mount and plugged in the antenna pigtail (from the shark fin) to the back of the Onyx radio... turn on the ignition and IT WORKS!

It has been over a year now with absolutely no issue.  I was initially concerned that the plug-in mount might be flimsy (because the accessory outlet really is not built to support any real weight)... but no issues so far!

I have one subscription to Sirius XM for my Onyx portable radio... that I move from my Silverado... to my Volvo (daily driver)... to my Corvette... back and forth... simple.

I hope this helps.

DJ

• Like 1

Here's the link to the wire extension that worked for me (shark fin access behind dash display down to back of Onyx XM radio... short distance, but the wire is 5'... plenty of "rope")... 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SiriusXM-Radio-Universal-5-Antenna-Extension/105397363

Not sure if you are still waiting for me... but when I did it, I pulled the plug and turned on the old xm... if no signal connection, it says it and you know you have the right one! Your pic looks different from mine. Mine was exactly like the one pic I put in the post.

Yeah, I have no stock XM radio, only OnStar. I pulled both out and OnStar still appeared to be working. I will keep looking and maybe post something new that maybe a GM tech or someone with access to GMSI can help.

After much searching, I did finally find an antenna cable that would ship to Canada. $25 shipped, couldn't find anything local at all :(

Thanx,

Krunch

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm curious as to how you guys brought the antenna wire out the front of the dash. is there an opening somewhere I can't find?

i don't want to put a hole in any trim panel or anything. or did you just come from under the dash and up ?

I have the stand alone Sirius unit with life time script. I ordered the antenna extension to bring it out of the dash.

I'm going to power it from the R.A.P. in the drivers side fuse block. As for audio input to the radio I'm using a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the Sirius unit.

which will also be powered off R.A.P.