Colorado ZR2 Owners Weigh In On Wish List and Biggest Surprises

Gorehamj

Homelink image.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

11-27-2017

GM-Trucks.com recently did an informal poll to ask new owners of the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 what capabilities and features they wished their truck had come with and what their biggest positive surprise about the truck was. We found the answers very interesting.

heated steering wheel acura.jpg

First the wish list, which was the overwhelming majority of replies. One of the most commonly cited feature that ZR2 owners wished the truck came with was a built-in garage door opener button, commonly known as Homelink.  Many of the repeat features owners wished they had were almost all luxury-type items. Memory seats, heated steering wheel, moonroof, etc.

volt gauge.png

That is not to say that owners didn’t have practical items in mind to make the ZR2 a better truck. Gauges were a popular wish list item. Boost gauge (must be a diesel owner), volt meters, and similar engine-related data displays were on some owners’ lists. However, it was tire and ground clearance enhancements that many wished for. Auto-refill for returning from off-roading was one that caught our eye. More ground clearance and an easier way to fit larger tires was on some owners’ lists.

colorado infotainment.png

A conversation about the infotainment system took place as well. Owners liked the functionality but wished that more information could be displayed at once. For example, show a map view along with audio and other info simultaneously. 

Only one owner opted to list a pleasant surprise with their new truck. That owner is getting about 20% fuel economy that expected, reporting mileage on real-world trips as high as 22.5 MPG.

Feel free to keep the dialogue going. You can find the original Q&A at the Facebook Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 club. 

Homelink is a nice feature that I miss when its not there but you think that GM could come up with a grade 1 fix and have it switch off when the truck is in the off mode. If my truck is parked outside my garage overnight, all the thieves have to do is gain entry to the cab and its clear sailing into my garage after that. For that matter I dont even program it anymore until I can track down the power wire up to the link and tap into it with a hidden switch or a relay to cut the power

My wishes for my ZR2:

1) V8 engine. My ZR2 feels positive sluggish compared with my 2000 Dodge Dakota with 4.7L V8

2) Better door pockets to hold stuff, the current ones are too hard to put anything in

3) 35" tires, or at least the ability to raise the vehicle in the aftermarket to put 35, 37 and maybe even 40" tires. My understanding is that currently to do that you would have to lose the Multimatics which area big part of what makes this truck unique in the first place

4) Better electronics, like Surround View cameras, lane departure warning, auto parallel parking etc. Even economy compacts have some of these nowadays. Ford F-150 has great surround view cameras, and auto parallel parking

5) No leaf springs in the back, these often squeak when they get dirty.

6) Combination rock rail/steps

7) Front view camera for off roading, like Raptor

8) Sunroof

Archived