Stupid question for those used to torsion bar suspensions...

I bought used HD with 30k miles on it. Drives great. I've noticed a "rattle" over certain road conditions. Sounds/feels like front end is loose. 

I've never had a 2500 before, and because truck drives very well, I'm assuming it's normal from road conditions. Any input?

I'll be due for oil change soon, so may have it looked at as I do still have factory warranty. I'd just like to know if I'm overthinking it. Thanks!

Bars turned up?

UCA's hitting rests when wheel drops as it goes over a hole or when it rebounds after suspension was compressed? 

Wouldn't usually think that bushings etc would be worn at 30K.

4wd?

Bad shock absorber?

Mine have all been quiet -  and do lots of rough road and farm use.

You can feel it a little. While looking underneath today, I wondered if the torsion bars "Rattle" under certain, rough road suspension articulation.

Yes, 4WD. I'll have to look at shock mounts a little closer, too. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

** UPDATE **

Took truck in for oil change and explained rattle. Middle steering shaft link was replaced under warranty.

We all hate the "stealership", but for those in NE Ohio - Marhofer GMC has been awesome for many years.

4 hours ago, ewbldavis said:

** UPDATE **

Took truck in for oil change and explained rattle. Middle steering shaft link was replaced under warranty.

We all hate the "stealership", but for those in NE Ohio - Marhofer GMC has been awesome for many years.

Was this related directly to the suspension part of the steering or the steering wheel? I get a clunky noise as well. 

Part is "upper intermediate steering shaft" - PN 23381952.

I mainly felt it on floor board, but I did sort of notice it in steering wheel. Seemed better after pickup, but I haven't hit the one ramp where it was very noticable yet. 

If you're under warranty, by all means ask them to check it out! 

• 11 months later...

I had a similar "rattle" in the front end of my 2017 HD, it was also wearing the front tires. Took it to dealer for a look and they replaced the pittman arm and had to bleed the power steering system and re-align.

I also had an '09 Chevy HD that had a rattle in the front, it was replaced once while under warranty and went out again sometime after it expired. I can't remember what that issue was, it wasn't serious and it was pretty common.

Mine does it too... 45k miles bars turned up... Haven't found the culprit yet.. Been doing it for 10k miles 
If you haven't installed shock spacers yet, that will be your culprit. I had the same issue on my truck with turned up bars, put in spacers.... Noise gone

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 1:25 AM, rocnrol said:

If you haven't installed shock spacers yet, that will be your culprit. I had the same issue on my truck with turned up bars, put in spacers.... Noise gone

Same for me. I think the "rattle" I was hearing was the shocks bottoming out.  

• Like 1