A bit of positivity, what a great vehicle the burb is for road trips

Been a week or so but back from almost 900 miles round trip of Thanksgiving travel from Seattle to Bend, Oregon. I've done this for years with various vehicles and the Suburban is the true no compromise solution. Tons of room for the family, the tech stuff with the LTE and fold down screens keeps kids that are unhappy about being stuck in a vehicle that long content, and 19.3 MPG round trip beats a lot of other smaller vehicles I have had (last being a V8 Audi Q7 that was in the 17 MPG range).  I've had the Suburban for 16 months now and 29k miles and no problems. 

Just thought I would add a bit of positive to the group.

IMG_6714.jpg

They are getting better and better. 2017 Denali XL w/ 6.2/8spd.  I just did 1800 miles roundtrip towing 5500 lbs. I got 15.5 towing at 74 mph!!! I get 21 otherwise. I was upset with alot of issues with my '15 but my '17 is fantastic. There is nothing else out there doing it this well. A true road trip, family vehicle. 

• 4 weeks later...

My experiences have been similar.  We bought a 16 Denali at the end of September.  Just got back from a wedding about a week ago that was just under 600 miles round trip.  It got almost 22 mpg on the highway  (made the trip on 1 tank of gas).  It is comfortable for everyone (wife and 4 kids) and has enough room in back for everything.  So far it has been a fantastic vehicle.  We sold our 14 Explorer Sport to get it mostly for the room but the Explorer was already starting to fall apart and have issues with around 46k miles on it so it was time to move on anyways.  Just finished up the paperwork for the GMEPP from Dennis Lichtner in MT also so it will be covered until around 127k miles.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:35 PM, Imcrazy said:

They're sweet vehicles, If it was in my budget I'd have one but, I never need a third row so I stick with a pickup.

I hear ya. I have a pickup most of my life. Last years budget always kept me out of a suburban or yukon XL. But we now have one and it does it all. Kids, dog, road trips all enclosed and secure. Every once in a while I really need a pickup, but I get by. I have a liner on all the carpet, and keep a moving blanket back there. Occasionally the 3rd row is fantastic for family or friends and going out to dinner or picking up at the airport. Mostly its down for more room for the dog. But overall it's a cool vehicle. Every once in a while I have to grab the trailer to go to home depot or something else big, which is a PITA, but realized I use a pick up bed less than I utilize the inside of my Yukon XL? Go figure

On 1/1/2018 at 8:40 AM, DocHolliday01 said:

Just finished up the paperwork for the GMEPP from Dennis Lichtner in MT also so it will be covered until around 127k miles.

Just turned 30k and about to do this with my dealer. Any insight? Ballpark cost?

8 minutes ago, markitzero said:

Just turned 30k and about to do this with my dealer. Any insight? Ballpark cost?

Ours was roughly 3500 for 84/100k.  However Dennis told me the price goes up at the 30k mark.  we are at about 28,500 miles.  He was very helpful and good to deal with over the phone.

11 minutes ago, markitzero said:

Thought about adding that on my Silveardo, interested to see what the OP has to say about it!

In keeping with the theme of this post, I too am pleased with my Yukon thus far. Quiet, comfortable, and the fit/finish is one of the best I've seen on a GM. I did a two hour road trip over the holidays and averaged 23.5 highway. I was absolutely amazed the 5.3 did that well!

As for the GMEPP, I paid $3325 for 84/100 about a month ago with 30,720 miles on my 2017 Yukon SLT.

On 1/13/2018 at 5:33 AM, wot_denali said:

the car is good but it needs better smother shocks that all family members will enjoy the ride.

I have the mag ride which is better than my '15 was but still pretty firm on my '17 . I too would like a plusher ride. But it does handle well on off ramps when you come in hot! That was the reason I was told they tightened up the suspension was to reduce rollovers. I feel with an suspension such as mag ride it can be made adjustable like other vehicles, and we could have the best of both worlds. I live in flat and straight land (Florida) so not so bad. 

On 1/18/2018 at 8:21 PM, seamus2154 said:

I have the mag ride which is better than my '15 was but still pretty firm on my '17 . I too would like a plusher ride. But it does handle well on off ramps when you come in hot! That was the reason I was told they tightened up the suspension was to reduce rollovers. I feel with an suspension such as mag ride it can be made adjustable like other vehicles, and we could have the best of both worlds. I live in flat and straight land (Florida) so not so bad. 

Mine handle well also and I don't have mag ride.  I have premium ride which is softer than the mag.  The added combination of width, height, and wheelbase of this gen 4 truck does more to decrease rollover than the mag ride.  If it was just mag ride it would be a standard option in all the trucks.     

3 hours ago, The Zip said:

Mine handle well also and I don't have mag ride.  I have premium ride which is softer than the mag.  The added combination of width, height, and wheelbase of this gen 4 truck does more to decrease rollover than the mag ride.  If it was just mag ride it would be a standard option in all the trucks.     

I hear ya. Only my last two had/have mag ride. All of them are firmer along with your observation of size in an effort to reduce rollover. The previous generation rode beautiful. I agree your Premium ride is nicer, as I rode in one recently. I didn't want mag ride, I wanted the 6.2/8 speed!  The Escalade has an adjustable mag ride, don't know if it is what I wish Luxury ride and Sport???  Ahhh New world problems! If I am still in this truck out of warranty I would switch to the Premium ride springs and shocks if my shocks blew. 

3 hours ago, seamus2154 said:

I agree your Premium ride is nicer, ...

Premium ride may be an overall better fit for the fullsize SUV, but I think the sweet spot is somewhere between Mag and Premium.  Hitting a dip at highway speeds with Premium ride is very uncomfortable, tail end gets squirrely.  Mag ride is probably better in this case with controlling that much weight.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve had 2005 Burban, 2007 Burban, 2015 Silverado LTZ CC, and now a 2017 Suburban. It’s by far the most comfortable and family vehicle we could ask for. I’ve had it for 6 months and it just turned 2k miles. I know I never drive it but when I do I truly enjoy it. Chevy has come a long way since my 2005 that’s for sure. Lots of trips coming up this summer so I’ll have to update my MPG for sure. 

Archived