Pump constantly shuts off when fueling

Smbikeco90

Question

I’m having a weird issue with my 2013 Silverado. It has a 5.3. When I’m fueling the gas pump constantly shuts off unless I hold the nozzle at just the right position. It can take 5-10 minutes to fill at times. I read on this website that the issue could be my vent solenoid so I replaced that with the ac delco kit with all tubes included. I didn’t reroute the filter though. I’m wondering if there’s another vent to let fumes out of the tank so the filler neck isn’t backing up. A local mechanic claims that some pumps do that but I’ve gone to this gas station for years and it never did that before. Any ideas?

5 answers to this question

While I was replacing the vent solenoid I did notice a small line following the filler neck. I know in some cars they have a vent the runs to the top of the filler neck. I may try to follow that line to see what it is atleast. The issue started happening a couple months ago when the weather was warm. Now that the weather is cold the issue has gotten much worse. I went to a gas station with very old pumps that ran really slow and it must have shut off 20 times while pumping $50. I know a lot of people have this issue but there has to be something wrong it I never had the issue until a couple months ago. I’ll look around for a vent in a day or 2. Thanks for the advice everyone 

Your post reads like you only ever use this one station.  Personally I always try free things first.  I would try a different station.  If you can understand that maybe something has changed with your truck, something could have also changed at that station.  With my truck, I just about always use one station for fuel, simply because it is closest to home.  At that station I have to hold the nozzle just right to avoid it constantly kicking off.  It only happens at pump 3, so I avoid that pump.  The other 15 pumps work just fine. 

Hey thanks for answering my post. I definitely made it seem like I only use this one station. I should clarify. The station I’m referring to I right next to my house so I usually get gas at that station but not always. I usually put 20-40 every time I put gas in because it’s such a pain. So if I’m low on gas I just go to any station. I’ve noticed this issue no matter what station I go to. The weird thing is the truck never used to do this so it makes me think something is wrong with the truck not the gas station. I never smell gas fumes and have no check engine light. I have a service van that had this same issue. The shop I took it to replaced the purge solenoid and that fixed it. But I was smelling raw gas fumes randomly and have a check engine light. Is it possible that the purge solenoid is stuck or a vent is plugged? Thank you

I've been on trips where it clicked at every pump along the way and other times I had trouble at one pump so I drove across the street and it filled up just fine.  Never seems to be any rhyme nor reason, everything on the TECH2 shows all the stuff working as it should. 

Two vehicles can almost never be filled up all the way while another can be run down to near empty and put more than the rated capacity of the tank, fuel in the neck and it's just fine.  Rarely able to get more than 26 gallons in the XL and 21 gallons in one Montana while the other can take on 26 and both tanks are rated for 25 galleons.  

It's been a long time since I last worked in a garage so this may not even apply now, but, it used to be that there was a vent line that ran from the top of the tank to the filler neck below the point the nozzle can reach.  If that line is kinked it will cause the fuel to back up in the neck until the pressure in the tank gets high enough to burp.  I have also found that if you pull the nozzle out a bit it will stop the kicking off.  You have likely tried that though.  

When did this start?  Was there any change in the environment(like season change for example)?) 

Archived