In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Plowing with a '13 2500HD 6.0L electrical charging

Upgrading the alternator to battery as well as ground strap wouldn’t hurt, bigger wire = more current. It will make a slight difference, hence why car audio guys upgrade them all the time to thicker wires. I have the wiring to do it all in mine, just don’t really feel like tearing into it. If anything, maybe hook the plow wiring to the second battery, and let it draw from that instead of the main battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/17/2017 at 4:44 AM, stallion81 said:

1) Alternator charge wire. Mine is probably 6 gauge. Go to a high quality 4?

3) Plow supply leads. These were obviously hooked to the main as I only had 1 battery on install. Should I attempt to move those to the 2nd battery? I'm unsure I have the length in the harness, but it would be easy to find out. Would it make a difference since the batteries are in parallel anyway?

Thanks for your time. 

1) I don't know that this wire really limits the output amperage. It can't hurt to make it bigger, but i question whether it actually changes anything.

3) don't waste your time moving the plow power cables. since your battery terminals are directly connected already- it makes absolutely no difference which end the plow is connected to. Your two batteries now operate as one battery with double the amp-hours.

Upgrading the alternator wire can improve performance, but it think that 175a fuse is probably more restrictive than the wire from the alternator.

I upgraded the wire on my last Dodge Cummins (160A alt), it was impressive the difference. The alternator could "catch up" much faster, voltage would come back to normal after a hard draw in 1/3 less time. That was the only place I didn't use regular automotive wiring, I used high strand count stereo power wire for that five foot run. I rarely use the winch on this truck and have two batteries, so I've never bothered to upgrade this Silverado.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

• 3 years later...

My 2013 chevy silverado 2500hd came from the factory with the plow prep package and I know this because I purchased it used and the window sticker came with the truck but there is no second battery and no wiring why is this thanks John.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:05 PM, john neu said:

My 2013 chevy silverado 2500hd came from the factory with the plow prep package and I know this because I purchased it used and the window sticker came with the truck but there is no second battery and no wiring why is this thanks John.

Dual batteries on a gas engine is not part of the plow prep package.