Re-gear and Detroit Locker in a 2017 2500HD 6 Liter

So I will do some pics for once because people all love pictures.

Cover.thumb.jpg.f66e222ef6b5c88a1703ae7d8cdaa04c.jpg

The cover I am using.

Hardware.thumb.jpg.39f1404f19d685deaa776c664792a408.jpg

The Hardware they supply.  You have two choices as this cover encompasses the entire generation of this rear end from 1973 to present.  The metric hardware is for the later AAM built units which is what is in these current generation trucks.

f5b0069ec6d408_Thelocker.thumb.jpg.284244791fd80303a568510a1d882789.jpg

My locker and 4.56's in there natural environment.  Now was the time to decide what to do with all the brackets up top for the park brake cable, brake line and brake line junction bracket.

5b006a8f417d2_AlmostDone.thumb.jpg.cf6e649f835746d4a91221a597f37d79.jpg

A quick test fit

Complete.thumb.jpg.275ddad2783ddf614c56978f33a1bc44.jpg

All done.  Had to chop all the brackets but they fit after some time with the grinder.  I gave the diff itself a quick shot of black and will probably detail the entire truck underneath over the course of the summer...... so I can drive it in salt winter lol.  It adds about 2 quarts of oil over stock and has magnets both on the dipstick and the drain plug.  The rear facing NPT plug is for a temp sending unit but I will not bother with any of that.  If you didn't notice the cover eliminates the 12 and 6 o'clock position bolts and brings the number to 12.  It's a ridiculously thick piece of aluminum with an integrated o-ring seal so it won't leak.  Now if I would not have left the barrel pump in the trash can to drain and forgot it there.. tossing the trash, I would have oil back in it.  But I will grab a new pump and get that done another day!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well here is a longer term update nobody likes.  Starting hearing some noise and then developed a pinion oil leak on the rear diff.  Drove it to town and it was quiet the entire drive but I wasn't hopeful.  Dropped the truck off at the local GM dealer and it they started tearing into it a bit.  The pinion bearings are toast and I have one axle seal leak.  The axle seal is probably a GM defect being that was never messed with but the pinion is the guy I had do the install.  GM is re-bearing the entire rear end and I am okay with that.  Right now they think it's warranty as they haven't pulled the rear cover but that will change I imagine.  I don't care though as I want the truck back fast and need it for work purposes.  I may go after the installer for something but I don't expect anything from him.  He's a couple hundred miles away and it's been almost  a year so it is what it is.  I just hope the gears are okay and it's just bearings and races.  If the gears are screwed well then I need to order another set and who knows how long that will take to get in.  

I am more annoyed as my other truck I use for work ( my 05 ) is smashed and I am in the process of repairing it.  I should be able to throw it together and use it again by next week but we shall see!  Gotta pay if you want to play!

Naw. His videos are just marketing BS to sell his "revised" cover while getting all you that watch them into a tizzy.  What little validity he has is offset by literally millions of miles of usage.  The failure here is from installation and bearing preload unfortunately.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

Pinion nut was finger tight being my failure point.  I don't see how it lasted 6000 miles of some pretty heavy towing and whatnot that way but that's what was found.  Considering it's a lock nut I don't see it backing itself off but I will check it as time rolls on and see.  Quiet and happy again so all is well!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How would you compare the Detroit locker to an Eaton Posi unit?

I am buying a 2019 Denali 6.0L gas 4x4 and I come from 2wd trucks.  My other ride has a 9.5" 14 bolt 5 lug in it.  Nice little semi floater.

I am wondering if I should buy an open carrier and a Detroit locker, or an Eaton posi.  Truck will see off highway use at full throttle (on sand for sure).  I'm thinking I want the Detroit.

And leave the front carrier alone?  I'm going to read the thread some more.  You don't want a locker or you want an air locker in the front?